Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TSB for our transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/11, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
This is not a clutch issue, at least for me. The clutch issue was found to be too much loctite being put on the flywheel bolts so they would not thread in all the way and would come loose. At least that is the way I understand it.
Yes there's a pressure plate bolt issue for cars built before 10/10, however I think there's more than the PP bolts backing out at work here.

In your case definatley a shifter/tranny issue from the sounds of it. I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope a fix from Ford comes soon.
Old 6/16/11, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine shifts into 3rd with ease after running up to redline in 2nd. That thing revs so fast I bounced it off the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd back to back the other night... Felt like a noob.
Old 6/17/11, 07:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That is correct comes in one of the F cars, Focus or Fiesta. I do not plan to change the fluid since I am hoping for a better long term real fix.

I contacted Deysha to report my issue to Ford and they called me today. I explained the same to them, that the fluid change does not appear to be a correct fix and I just wanted my problem on record. From everything I have been told Ford is working on this issue and we shall see what they come up with.

Shifting is a little smoother at temp even here in FL but my issue is more with the shifter binding and not letting me into gears, mostly 3 and 5. When I first got the Boss I was aware of the clutch problem on other Mustangs from bolts coming loose but not this issue. After a few days of driving the Boss I went to the dealer to feel the shifter in a GT since my did not feel right. It was after this that I started reading more about this shifting problem, so I am not complaining for the hell of it. I am happy for everyone that does not have this problem but for those that do it is a big issue.

For now the car is drivable but I feel better having this on record, they need to know how many people have the issue. If anyone else is having the problem I suggest you report it, even if you do not want to do the fluid change.
I definitely agree with you 2012YellowBoss. Also, let me know if you ever need further assistance.

Deysha
Old 6/17/11, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
To everyone having the smallest of tranny issuies to being locked out of gears. You have to report this to FCS. Numbers will speak the loudest to Ford. We have to create the paper trail. I also recomend getting the fulid changed. I for one just had the fuild changed for two reasons.
1) the more Ford has to $hell out to address this issuie, the sooner a fix instead of a bandaid will come around.
2) Should anything go wrong with the tranny, Ford can not accuse me in neglecting to fully address the problem. If you complain about it and do nothing / nothing will be done.
We have to hit Ford in the pocket by paying for the oil and labor. The oil installed in my Boss was XT-11-QDC. It took 2.7 quarts. Not sure of the cost on the oil but I was lead to belive it's about $40.00 a quart. On my labor report it states: check for hard shifts 2'nd and 3'rd. Verify concerns. found TSB 11-3-18 for concerns. Replaced transmission fuild with 2.7 quarts of XT-11-QDC.
End result is that the car shifts just about the same, but it's now an offical CLAIM/Report on a problem that cost Ford to address the issuie.
If you dont do something about it, then you have no reason to ever complain!

As for FCS: I reported this to Deysha by sending her a PM. FCS contacted me within 2 days. Sense then FCS has called me 2 more times to check on the status of my tranny issuie. I informed FCS that my car was scheduled to go to Ford on 6/15/11. She asked me what dealer I was bringing it to. She then said that she will call the dealer on 6/20/11 do a follow up report. As for this part in addresing the trany problems....Deysha and FCS is given a 10 in satifacition. Job well done!!

Last edited by boss man; 6/17/11 at 08:03 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boss Man I disagree with this approach for one big reason. I honestly think Ford is working on a fix for this. They are not going to run out and spend millions to put a new different trans in all the cars, they will look at what is the best thing to do - while being cost effective. Changing the fluid just because I want to hurt them is not an option for me, I hate the fact they farmed out this tranny to a un-named country (don't want to revisit that again) but that is the way of the world these days I guess. I feel having the issue on record is good enough for now. I am also not worried since my service dept. is the best I have ever deal with (and I use to work for one).

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/17/11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Boss Man I disagree with this approach for one big reason. I honestly think Ford is working on a fix for this. They are not going to run out and spend millions to put a new different trans in all the cars, they will look at what is the best thing to do - while being cost effective. Changing the fluid just because I want to hurt them is not an option for me, I hate the fact they farmed out this tranny to a un-named country (don't want to revisit that again) but that is the way of the world these days I guess. I feel having the issue on record is good enough for now. I am also not worried since my service dept. is the best I have ever deal with (and I use to work for one).
I respect your opion , I truly understand that Ford will not replace the tranny's but if they only get paperwork the response will not be as effective. I'm not looking to hurt Ford with spending money to change oils & labor . I was told to do this by FCS after I notified them of my problem. It's called following thru. Now when FCS calls me to get an up-date on hard shifts, I can say I did everything Ford requested of me and still have issuies. This is the only way things will progress in a true fix. With all that being said....I still think it's the BEST DAM CAR and have tons of fun behind the wheel.
Old 6/17/11, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by boss man
To everyone having the smallest of tranny issuies to being locked out of gears. You have to report this to FCS. Numbers will speak the loudest to Ford. We have to create the paper trail. I also recomend getting the fulid changed. I for one just had the fuild changed for two reasons.
1) the more Ford has to $hell out to address this issuie, the sooner a fix instead of a bandaid will come around.
2) Should anything go wrong with the tranny, Ford can not accuse me in neglecting to fully address the problem. If you complain about it and do nothing / nothing will be done.
We have to hit Ford in the pocket by paying for the oil and labor. The oil installed in my Boss was XT-11-QDC. It took 2.7 quarts. Not sure of the cost on the oil but I was lead to belive it's about $40.00 a quart. On my labor report it states: check for hard shifts 2'nd and 3'rd. Verify concerns. found TSB 11-3-18 for concerns. Replaced transmission fuild with 2.7 quarts of XT-11-QDC.
End result is that the car shifts just about the same, but it's now an offical CLAIM/Report on a problem that cost Ford to address the issuie.
If you dont do something about it, then you have no reason to ever complain!

As for FCS: I reported this to Deysha by sending her a PM. FCS contacted me within 2 days. Sense then FCS has called me 2 more times to check on the status of my tranny issuie. I informed FCS that my car was scheduled to go to Ford on 6/15/11. She asked me what dealer I was bringing it to. She then said that she will call the dealer on 6/20/11 do a follow up report. As for this part in addresing the trany problems....Deysha and FCS is given a 10 in satifacition. Job well done!!
Thank you for your kind words boss man!

Deysha
Old 6/17/11, 01:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I mentioned to the rep that called me about the person who posted their service dept told them they could change back if it does not help. I was also given that option. If it was anything but a 7500 RPM capable car I would try it. I just have a hard time doing this since I am sure the engineers studied the fluid that would work best and that is what is in the car now. Without putting anyone on the spot, most people I talked to think it will not help, being in FL did come up but how is a different fluid going to help when it just plain will not go into a certain gear.

I don't think you are wrong for trying this to see how it works but now I see too many reports that it does not help so I will hold off. Some have said it helped a little but most say no. No easy answers here.
Old 6/17/11, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Scott,

I plan to take my boss to Ford soon but I too decided to wait out the fluid change unless it becomes intolerable this winter. I definitely want to have some sort of record that shows this problem.

It is a step above any service I have encountered where a customer service person (Deysha) has gone above and beyond to make sure our problems are resolved.

Deysha,

Thanks for taking the time and effort in standing behind us all.

Last edited by badasbullitt; 6/17/11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 6/17/11, 08:40 PM

At 46 years of age, this will be the first new car I have ever purchased. It was built on 5/27 and am currently awaiting delivery.

If my car has any transmission problems, I am gonna be seriously ticked off! I figured Ford would have had this problem figured out by now.
Old 6/18/11, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Jeff, it is a problem and a serious one but it is interment and does not take away the pure joy you will feel when driving the Boss. Hopefully Ford will find a fix, I am sure they do not want this to eat away more at the sports car market. Plus it is a small percentage of us here in the Boss section saying they have a problem.

My biggest fear is that most of this is my fault but when I think about it more I know I am not the only one with the problem and I've been driving stick for many years.
Old 6/20/11, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
Scott,

I plan to take my boss to Ford soon but I too decided to wait out the fluid change unless it becomes intolerable this winter. I definitely want to have some sort of record that shows this problem.

It is a step above any service I have encountered where a customer service person (Deysha) has gone above and beyond to make sure our problems are resolved.

Deysha,

Thanks for taking the time and effort in standing behind us all.
Thank you very much badasbullitt and thank you for willing to work with us and your dealer to get this resolved.

Deysha