2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/11, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd hope nobody thinks Tokico Illuminas outperform ASTs, or especially Penske's. Orders of magnitude difference in costs.
Old 7/18/11, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I love all of you guys out there pioneering what works and what doesn't! Let's us mere mortals sit on the sidelines in a wait and see mode and then jump-in when the best combos are found. Keep going!!
Old 7/18/11, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Me too. I figure after a year of this futzing around by pioneers, we'll pretty much know what to do for mods.
Old 7/18/11, 04:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be running 275/40/18 BFG G-Force TA K/Ds on a set of Roush RR03 wheels. Picked them up at the garage sale for track duty, couldn't pass them up.

Once I'm comfortable with the car and my abilities, I plan on moving up to a set of Hoosiers for track days.
Old 7/18/11, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalBoss
Scott, which 18x9/10 wheels did you get? And, what size tires did you put in the front?
I ordered the SVE black rims from latemodelrestoration 18x9 and 18x10 with Nitto 555 255/45/18 and 285/40/18. However since I found the Nitto 05's I am using the same rims with 265/35/18 and 295/35/18 not as close as the 555's were to factory sizing. I may go ahead and get a set of front NT 05's 275/40 after this weekend out on the 05's. Need to see how it works out.

BTW the rims and 555's were like $1200 shipped. Good luck but DO NOT take my word as the final chapter, I am doing this for cost saving and just some driving fun, just about everyone on the forum knows more then me at this point. I can only pass on what I have done as a beginner.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Lots of good info here so keep it coming.
Lots of good info my a$$ my head is literally gonna explode! Ah what the hell keep it coming even if I am too old to take it all in
Old 7/18/11, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blainestang
Just to clarify, with the use of the '>' symbol, are you simply indicating the progression of your rear shock testing or actually suggesting that the Factory Boss shocks are 'greater than' the others. I assume the former, but wanted to clarify.
My apologies, > = progression. Presently on Penske 7500DA's and working on a revision for more bump travel. Penske struts come later as the AST's will get me through the season.

Dave
Old 7/18/11, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by iDrive
My apologies, > = progression. Presently on Penske 7500DA's and working on a revision for more bump travel. Penske struts come later as the AST's will get me through the season.

Dave
How would those AST's compare to the KW ClubSports, if you have experience with those?
I can't do external reservoirs and stay in TTB, not sure if the ClubSports are or aren't (apparently some models are, not sure bout the Stang).

Penske's are pricey:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

http://www.resuspension.com/Penske-o...p-1-c-286.html
Old 7/19/11, 05:54 AM
GT Member

IMO, I would say the entry level 4000 series AST's are comparable to the KW Clubsports. I don't have first hand experience with KW's just competitors who have run them, but I do with Moton DA Clubsports (now owned by AST). I ran Moton's on my STU prepared Evo for 3 years and would recommend them. In fact, Moton would have been my alternate choice for the Boss. Very good support and quick turn-around for rebuilds and custom damping. Anyone looking for a good shock package between Koni and upper-end shocks should keep watch for Bilsteins that will be popping up soon. I believe with their new dual bleed shaft (DA).

Dave
Old 7/19/11, 07:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I love all of you guys out there pioneering what works and what doesn't! Let's us mere mortals sit on the sidelines in a wait and see mode and then jump-in when the best combos are found. Keep going!!
Originally Posted by 4pipes
Me too. I figure after a year of this futzing around by pioneers, we'll pretty much know what to do for mods.
I hear ya, I'm ready to sit and watch for a while now The suspension "works" for me right now, and I figured the same thing, change one part and all the tuning goes out the window. I'm waiting for a "sorted" out solution before I go there. I wonder if just going the 302S route (for complete suspension setup) is a viable option down the road?

In any event, carry on Lewis & Clark!
Old 7/19/11, 08:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I wonder if just going the 302S route (for complete suspension setup) is a viable option down the road?

Ford Racing recommended using the Multimatic dampers that come on the 302S.
Old 7/19/11, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Ford Racing recommended using the Multimatic dampers that come on the 302S.
Not sure if those are a straight swap to street vehicles, though (not that I'd ever consider that amount of money for shocks, really).

FR500C dampers, $5900 for the set.

FR500S dampers, $5450 for the set
Old 7/19/11, 11:29 AM

The mustangs I have tracked locally have Falken tires on GT-500 wheels. no stagger. Bulletproof combo IMO. They slip predictably, and let you know audibly when they're on the edge. I ran one car on 8 30 minute sessions of hot lapping and could have continued for many more days on the tires.
Old 7/19/11, 01:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Not sure if those are a straight swap to street vehicles, though (not that I'd ever consider that amount of money for shocks, really).

FR500C dampers, $5900 for the set.

FR500S dampers, $5450 for the set
Yeah they didn't say there were affordable just the best setup they've found for the cars. Of course Multimatic is the factory race team. They are not used on Grand Am cars due to class specs.
Old 7/19/11, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
I'm gonna run a 275/40/18 square setup for the first track event, we'll see how I like it. Maybe I won't need to trail brake as much.

If the car is prone to snap oversteer, a Strano adjustable rear swaybar will be installed. Square setup is very beneficial for tire rotation and life.
Upon further thought, I'm just going to buy the Strano adjustable rear bar before the track event, and if it's oversteering uncomfortably w/ the square setup, I'll just change it out right then and there.
Old 7/19/11, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

One warning, and Sam confirmed this, the adjustable bar doesn't work with LCA relocation brackets, apparently not any of them (mine were CHE, and needed to remove them as too many points in TTB, so no big deal.)

That may be the reason Steeda's bar has the mounting tab piece, to avoid that interference. Course, that would surprise me greatly as Steeda stuff never seems to work with any of their other pieces. I got their billet front AR brackets (UMI ones on Sam's site much better, w/ Zerks), and the brace pieces to bolt the AR bracket to the front subframe, and they won't fit together -- had to grind the tabs down on the braces to fit inside the brackets, not a good solution.
Then, got their lightweight radiator support, come to find out none of them fit at all with this piece! The AR brackets bolts aren't the stock separation, so the billet bracket won't fit, and it's a bit further forward, so the braces don't fit. Whatta rip off! One of the Steeda reps on a different forum had noted this, said they'd replace my bar or bracket or whatever with the new 'updated' ones, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Gonna put the billet pieces and the braces up for sale now.
Old 7/19/11, 08:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good info there about the fitment thx
Old 7/20/11, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Upon further thought, I'm just going to buy the Strano adjustable rear bar before the track event, and if it's oversteering uncomfortably w/ the square setup, I'll just change it out right then and there.
You just took off 5 pounds changing to a Strano rear bar!

Dave
Old 7/20/11, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I hear ya, I'm ready to sit and watch for a while now The suspension "works" for me right now, and I figured the same thing, change one part and all the tuning goes out the window. I'm waiting for a "sorted" out solution before I go there. I wonder if just going the 302S route (for complete suspension setup) is a viable option down the road?

I like this as well. Got more than enough to deal with right now, so maybe I just leave the suspension as is for now. We'll know exactly what works soon enough, and then hey, if I can eventually save a buck or two on tires after all, so much the better!

Last edited by LateApex; 7/20/11 at 12:23 PM.
Old 7/22/11, 03:23 PM
GT Member

Have the Enkei PF01 wheels been discontinued?
Tire Rack has none available.
Old 7/22/11, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

I'm gonna run a 275/40/18 square setup for the first track event, we'll see how I like it. Maybe I won't need to trail brake as much.

If the car is prone to snap oversteer, a Strano adjustable rear swaybar will be installed. Square setup is very beneficial for tire rotation and life.
When I talked to Rehagen Racing (Shuan I think) this week he said they often run 275's. They also run 305's in some of the other racing series. For the 275's they have used 18/19/20 mm rear bars - with 20 mm being used most often. Some drivers race with the rear bar disconnected - once again the nut behind the wheel is often the biggest difference in performance. Even though the street Boss has been "tuned" for a staggered tire setup, the handling of the car will change some with a square setup, but not dramatically. Having an adjustable rear bar should allow you regain the "tuned" feel.

Quick Reply: Track wheels and tires