2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/11, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try the 302S hood. It is a functional heat extractor. I won't be getting my Boss on the track till sept and temps will most likely be cool here in the northeast. But I'll let you guys know. Hood goes on next week!
Old 7/4/11, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JScheier
That is me with the CO 302. 3-4 laps and it would overheat . Not sure what extra cooling pieces you speak of, but if you wouldn't mind giving me a 'heads-up', it would be greatly appreciated!

Transmission cooling scoop is on the way (should be here tomorrow)... but the water temps were definitely no bueno.
I've been told pull the grille on hot days and the 302S grille was changed from our grille to opening up the fogs and putting in mesh. I tried something different. I'll be testing it Thursday, but forecast temps aren't supposed to exceed 90. 90 seems to be the magic number when I've started to see high water temps 240+.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...l-cooling-mod/
Old 7/5/11, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you for the link Cloud9. We had thought about pulling the grille.... 2ith 95*+ temps and students to ride with, it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort.

Might see if I can pick up a 302S grill and just swap it out. I'm back on track in 2 weeks (maybe sooner)... so I've gotta work fast
Old 7/5/11, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you for the link Cloud9. We had thought about pulling the grille.... 2ith 95*+ temps and students to ride with, it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort.

Might see if I can pick up a 302S grill and just swap it out. I'm back on track in 2 weeks (maybe sooner)... so I've gotta work fast
No problem. If you have any luck finding the 302S grille, let me know. As far as I know, they're not being sold yet....all going into the 302S builds. I was going to "make my own" but once we started drilling out the holes as a starter to remove the rest of the material so we could put in the screen, we just kept going. Here's the link to how FRPP did it. It kind of sounds like they were all done as "one-offs". I have to believe the after-market will come out with a more open grille to help with cooling.

Post #22 shows what FRPP did to modify the grille: http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...tion-shots/15/

Forecast for Thursday in Hastings is up to 85 and I'm sure high humidity. I'll be sure to let you guys know if I can see any benefit from drilling the holes.
Old 7/5/11, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Hey John!

Glad to see another local on TMS. The blue GT500 that was there on Saturday (Brian Thoman) was also on here (came down to PPIR after some goading by me), but it seems there's a fair amount of activity on Colorado Stangs forum as well (haven't looked there in a long time).

I got the Agent47 grille for my 09 GT due to the cooling issues at PPIR, and also upgraded to a new radiator before this last weekend's event, and still was pushing 240 during multiple hot laps (got that Aeroforce gauge, it's what the car tells it through the OBDII port. Have a temp sender installed in the upper radiator hose for an autometer gauge, but don't have the gauge installed yet.) The factory gauge at 230 or more was moving from the halfway point to 2/3 or 3/4, so at least on the 4.6 that's what it corresponds to.
The only time it pushed over 240 was when staying in 3rd throughout the roval, bouncing off the rev limiter before braking into the first turn. Staying in 2nd and bouncing on the limiter on the short chute before the hairpin didn't help either.

Someone else on here mentioned using this deflector kit to better direct the airflow through the radiator.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10485

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 7/5/11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cloud9
I knew it! I met Ed at the Sturgis Mustang Rally a couple years ago. He's been bouncing wheel/tire ideas off me the past few months. Sounds like he must have gotten his driveshaft fixed ok. On his first track day it sounded like he had some issues with it.

Boy I'd like to hear more about the overheating Boss. What additional cooling parts are you talking about.....brakes and trans? Seems like 90F is the magic number. I'm heading to Hastings, NE Thursday but the forecast high is only 81. Hoping my "ventilated" grille helps although if it only gets to 81 I'm not expecting any issues. Either way I'll be watching coolant temps with interest.
Wow, didn't realize the new Boss was having issues with overheating, but I definitely want to keep informed since a new Boss is on my want list.

Yes, that was me with the TSW Interlagos wheels on my SGT (well, my wife's SGT) at PPIR. I really like those wheels, and they seem to really help keep the brakes cool. I had no overheating issues, brake fade, etc, and I am still running the "stock" pad setup that is used on the Baer GT Plus kit along with stock spec Motorcraft brake fluid. Of course, I'm only running HPDE level 2.

Gonna take a look at the brake pads this week, at least drain the fluid at the calipers, etc. Eventually will upgrade to a mild spec Hawk pad and possibly upgrade the fluid, though for now I'm going to stay away from the syn fluid based on the clutch slave cylinder potential incompatibility issues that I've heard some of. Can't get anything confirmed, though the clutch slave cylinder packaging, be it Ford or aftermarket, says not to use syn fluid. I don't expect to get above HPDE Level 2 this season, so don't need to yet go crazy with brake upgrades.

I think I may want to get an aftermarket cooling gauge. Factory gauge didn't budge all weekend, but not really sure if the 96* air temps were causing me any issues. Only issue I had was throughout Sunday in one particular left-hand corner, coming out of it hard in 3rd gear, over a very slight imperfection in the track, the car seemed to have a brief fuel delivery hiccup. As the day's air temps got hotter, the single "burp" became 3 or 4, almost like a defueling issue - I could drive through it by going a little easier on the throttle, but it was definitely slowing me down on the infield portion of the track. Wondering if there was an issue with the fuel in the driver side of the tank, the pickup, etc. So we're going to try to trouble shoot that this week. Nowhere else on the track did I have that issue, and was able to mash the pedal all the way to redline everywhere else on the track and through hard right turns.

Last edited by bandit67; 7/5/11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 11:01 AM

Here are pics of the Interlagos 9 spoke 18x9 35(ish) mm offset, on our car. They're over Baer GT Plus brakes, with plenty of room to spare. The Brembos and similar brake calipers may stick out just a bit farther, and if so, there should still be plenty of clearance. I don't think I ever put the Interlagos on my GT500 before I sold it, so I can't tell anyone for certain on the fitment over those brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Track wheels and tires-shelby-gt.jpg   Track wheels and tires-shelby-gt-track-1.jpg  
Old 7/5/11, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Shelby GT at the track (PPIR in Fountain, CO) this weekend with the 18x9.5 Interlagos on, over Baer GT Plus brake system, plenty of spoke clearance, and at least 1/2" from caliper to wheel barrel. Not sure how those compare to the Brembo 4 pot calipers, though. He got them for $217 each at his local Discount Tire.

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_interlagos.php

Sounds like the 18" Nurburgring doesn't fit, though.
Hey Josh,

With everything that was going on Sunday, the heat, etc., I wasn't thinking that we should have tried the wheels then, but you're welcome to bring your car up the hill and throw the Interlagos on to see how they fit over your brakes.

Ed

I thought this was a cool pic my wife got on Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails Track wheels and tires-mustangs.jpg  

Last edited by bandit67; 7/5/11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey John!

Glad to see another local on TMS. The blue GT500 that was there on Saturday (Brian Thoman) was also on here (came down to PPIR after some goading by me),
Brian actually went out with me in session 2. Think we got 4 laps in (at TT pace) before we had to come in.

Looks like I'll drill out the holes like Cloud9 and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I'll go the 302S route.

On of my friends has connections with some Ford Grand-Am teams and is going to look into what they did. He understands they shipped them to Roush for the cooling issues. Hopefully just the grill... but it could be a different radiator as well

I'll post photos of the D-Force wheels as soon as Terry gets them (the photos) to me.
Old 7/5/11, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
TSWs have some tarnished history
Not to be confused with the OTHER TSW Wheel company. Wonder why neither sued the other considering Ford even sued Ferrari for calling their 2011 F1 car the F150.
Attached Thumbnails Track wheels and tires-famm2002-3.jpg  
Old 7/5/11, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Ed, I was just reading through this thread, haven't got all the way through but sounded like maybe the problem?

https://themustangsource.com/f813/se...-issue-496574/
Old 7/5/11, 12:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey Ed, I was just reading through this thread, haven't got all the way through but sounded like maybe the problem?

https://themustangsource.com/f813/se...-issue-496574/
Was thinking the same thing......best to keep the tank fairly full in these S197s despite the extra weight.
Old 7/5/11, 12:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

On of my friends has connections with some Ford Grand-Am teams and is going to look into what they did. He understands they shipped them to Roush for the cooling issues. Hopefully just the grill... but it could be a different radiator as well
Definitely in for results on this.......
Old 7/5/11, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Was thinking the same thing......best to keep the tank fairly full in these S197s despite the extra weight.
Here's a note from that thread:

"Mustang has a saddle type fuel tank in that there is a hump in the middle of the fuel tank for the driveshaft.
There is one electric pump and fuel level sensor (FL-1) on the LH (driver side) of the fuel tank, this is the FPM.
There is a fuel pick up and fuel level sensor (FL-2) on the RH (passenger side) of the fuel tank.
The system draws fuel first from the RH side of the tank. The FPM siphons fuel from the RH side of the tank via the fuel pick up. Once the fuel level on the RH is too low to siphon fuel, there are check valves that close and the fuel will now be drawn from the LH side of the tank via the FPM."
Old 7/5/11, 01:18 PM

Thanks for that link Josh. I was aware of the pump in the left side. We're wondering if the fuel possibly sloshing back and forth over the hump could be causing problems in those types of situations, like maybe introducing air into the system.

Knowing this is not an uncommon issue may help us to determine if there's a problem with a check valve, pickup, etc. in my tank setup. These tanks have a lot more fuel delivery components than "non-baffled" tanks. Maybe my mechanic and I can come up with a "fix" and patent it and make some money.

Looks like worst case scenario is keep plenty of spare fuel on hand to keep the tank full, but that could be a real pain.
Old 7/5/11, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bandit67
Knowing this is not an uncommon issue may help us to determine if there's a problem with a check valve, pickup, etc. in my tank setup. These tanks have a lot more fuel delivery components than "non-baffled" tanks. Maybe my mechanic and I can come up with a "fix" and patent it and make some money.
No need to reinvent the wheel

http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/mustang.pdf
Old 7/5/11, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

But back to the track wheels (enough with the thread-jacking for now):

Ed, can you post a good side shot of your Interlagos wheels over those Baer PBRs? I looked on Baer's site and don't even see the GT-Plus mentioned anymore, so can't download the fitment template to compare to my Stoptech, or the Boss's Brembo's, so makes it a bit harder to know if it'll fit.
Old 7/5/11, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Oh, and Strano has the Enkei's for sale now:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=144&ModelID=5

$1299
Old 7/5/11, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh, and Strano has the Enkei's for sale now:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=144&ModelID=5

$1299
I couldn't tell offset from his website, but I would recommend the 35mm offset. The 45mm will work, but you're getting pretty snug to the strut. With a 275/40/18 NT01 you're between 3/8" and 1/2" on the 45s. With the 35s you have closer to an inch and with any amount of camber you're at least that far from the fender. You will get the widest tire on the 35s if that's what you're after.
Old 7/5/11, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

I'd hope he can get either, and also in black, but haven't checked yet. I'll email him.

Quick Reply: Track wheels and tires