Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Torsen Differential & Recaro Option Opinion's.

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/10, 10:48 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I looked up the Alcantara on the Bimmer forums and apparently they love it in their cars even over leather or leatherette. It's been all the rage for a few years now.

I just hope it's not something that will be found out that it will look like crap in a few years.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/28/10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10/28/10, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have to decide in a few days on this and I'm still concerned that I'll make the wrong decision,,,,please if anyone has anything more to add, lay it on me.

LQQK
Old 10/28/10, 02:25 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell you the Recaro seats used in the Evo cars are good seats, even after extended trips. However, I wouldn't take my word as law due to the fact I do have a small frame and i'm quite tolerant of seats. I will also say of all the "race type" seats i've sat in, those Evo Recaros are so far the most comfortable and tolerable of the bunch.

I would go for the seats and the diff. You never know if the seats will hold a crazy sale value if you eventually wanted to part ways with them. Of course, the more performance options you put on the car(since its a performance-based car), the higher your resale value of the entire vehicle will be.
Old 10/28/10, 03:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
Well I have to decide in a few days on this and I'm still concerned that I'll make the wrong decision,,,,please if anyone has anything more to add, lay it on me.

LQQK
I don't think your decision would be considered right or wrong. What is the value of having options you might not use a lot? Unless you were going to road courses regularly, the functional benefits of those options might be pretty limited. If you have a vast amount of high performance driving experience (or intend to get it), then you might choose these.

Otherwise, for the price (which we don't know at the moment), it might be overkill. Based on how I would use the car, I am not planning on them. I would, however, add the Ford Racing brake cooling kit to maximize the fade resistance for periodic high performance driving experiences.
Old 10/30/10, 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

LQQK

I wouldn't be too quick to make choices on things we don't know enough about yet.
While the order banks will open Nov. 8th that doesn't mean you have to order then. Hopefully all the info comes out by then but if not I would wait a few more weeks. I'm sure your dealer isn't going to bounce you for not ordering on the 1st day.

I'm thinking the Recaro's will be a good seat. The Torsen Diff. is something I would most likely pass on.
Old 10/30/10, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
I wouldn't be too quick to make choices on things we don't know enough about yet.
While the order banks will open Nov. 8th that doesn't mean you have to order then. Hopefully all the info comes out by then but if not I would wait a few more weeks. I'm sure your dealer isn't going to bounce you for not ordering on the 1st day.

I'm thinking the Recaro's will be a good seat. The Torsen Diff. is something I would most likely pass on.
Gotta ask, why pass on Torsen?

LQQK
Old 10/30/10, 11:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Gotta ask, why pass on Torsen?

LQQK
How much will you drive the car at higher limits on a racetrack? Or would you want it because it fits the character of the car? The Torsen differential would offer you excellent cornering in aggressive high performance driving. The stock limited slip would be at a disadvantage if you raced a lot in terms of wearing out the clutches lots potentially. The Torsen might be overkill for just street driving, although the last generation Camaro and Firebird had them. Some additional technical information on the cornering benefits can be found here - http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/Torsen/Torsen.htm
Old 10/31/10, 01:35 AM
FR500 Member

Aren't they (Recaros/Torsen LSD) bundled together as a option for the regular Boss? Just have to do without both in that case. I like the Torsen diff. simply because you don't have to deal with eventually replacing clutches or needing friction modifier when changing gear oil.
Old 10/31/10, 04:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
How much will you drive the car at higher limits on a racetrack? Or would you want it because it fits the character of the car? The Torsen differential would offer you excellent cornering in aggressive high performance driving. The stock limited slip would be at a disadvantage if you raced a lot in terms of wearing out the clutches lots potentially. The Torsen might be overkill for just street driving, although the last generation Camaro and Firebird had them. Some additional technical information on the cornering benefits can be found here - http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/Torsen/Torsen.htm
Very techie info in the link you provided (still trying to wrap my mind around it).

I don't plan on tracking the BOSS, So, I guess, I want it because it fits the character of the car???

Do you, or anyone, feel it would affect spirited daily type driving adversely or would a person not know the difference between having stock or Torsen installed?

My uneducated-guess is, order the Recaro/Torsen option, because, it will help not only for resale, but long term durability and it wouldn't hurt to have it in-case I get the urge to embarrass myself at a track.

LQQK
Old 10/31/10, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Aren't they (Recaros/Torsen LSD) bundled together as a option for the regular Boss? Just have to do without both in that case. I like the Torsen diff. simply because you don't have to deal with eventually replacing clutches or needing friction modifier when changing gear oil.
No, they are separate options.
Old 10/31/10, 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Very techie info in the link you provided (still trying to wrap my mind around it).

I don't plan on tracking the BOSS, So, I guess, I want it because it fits the character of the car???

Do you, or anyone, feel it would affect spirited daily type driving adversely or would a person not know the difference between having stock or Torsen installed?

My uneducated-guess is, order the Recaro/Torsen option, because, it will help not only for resale, but long term durability and it wouldn't hurt to have it in-case I get the urge to embarrass myself at a track.

LQQK
I wouldn't worry too much about resale value. I would get what YOU think you would enjoy and would suit your driving needs.

My understanding is that the Tor Diff. doesn't hold up very well to drag style starts. I won't be taking the car to a drag strip but I'm certainly going to find empty open roads and do some quick burn out starts. What I won't be doing is ripping around a corner at high speeds where the Tor. Diff. is really suited for.
Old 10/31/10, 08:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
No, they are separate options.
Unless it is different for Canadian cars, all of the press material indicates the seats are bundled.
Old 10/31/10, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LQQK
At a high performance driving event, if you drove at the limit and were measuring your cornering performance, you might see the benefits. Otherwise, you most likely wouldn't. As mentioned, in the post about durability, that is a definite advantage. In the high performance I have done (autocrossing), the most important thing is to learn gain the equipment advantages of tires and shock control. The adjustable shock set-up is cool on the Boss. Between that and the tires, it should make for a noticeable difference when compared to the GT. For my driving habits (street driving & occasional high performance driving event on a track), the base set-up is sufficient. Your reasons for wanting to get them are valid as well. I think it's great they are being offered as options.
Old 10/31/10, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

For my driving habits (street driving & occasional high performance driving event on a track), the base set-up is sufficient.
When you say base set-up, you do mean, stock seats & stock differential, not setting 2 on shocks?

Do you like Recaros?

LQQK
Old 10/31/10, 10:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Unless it is different for Canadian cars, all of the press material indicates the seats are bundled.

My mistake. The Tor. Diff. can be optioned by itself but the Recaro's come packaged with the Tor. Diff.

I'm less than thrilled with how Ford is optioning this car.
Old 10/31/10, 10:22 AM

Good link. THX. The only disadvantage I see with the Torsen is that it may have more rotational mass than an clutch operated LSD. This would be a disadvantage in drag racing potentially. Other than that it seems like the way to go for the character of the car even if it is not tracked.

Jim
Old 10/31/10, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

When you say base set-up, you do mean, stock seats & stock differential, not setting 2 on shocks?

Do you like Recaros?

LQQK
Yes, the base Boss seats and the limited-split differential. I definitely like the Recaros, based on their function in holding you more upright in place. Very cool option from Ford.

For me, the ultimate deciding factor is price on these two. If this was an extra $1000, then I would get it. I suspect it's probably going to be more than that ($2000+), based on looking at the prices in the aftermarket for the individual items.

Justufying the extra $1000 then would simply because these parts are more in keeping with the car's character as opposed to the added funtionality they would bring. On the street, it's not that easy to get to the high limits of cornering as in race conditions (unless you like hanging it out illegally and endangering others ).

I guess we will soon know.
Old 10/31/10, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Haybusman
Good link. THX. The only disadvantage I see with the Torsen is that it may have more rotational mass than an clutch operated LSD. This would be a disadvantage in drag racing potentially. Other than that it seems like the way to go for the character of the car even if it is not tracked.

Jim
Yes, as noted in the previous post and in the article, not really a drag racer's part!
Old 10/31/10, 01:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
detroit trutrac > torsen
Old 10/31/10, 07:50 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
detroit trutrac > torsen
A Detroit Truetrac also uses helical worm gears to provide L/R torque biasing - the orientation of the worm gears are different compared to the Torsen. It too has similar shortcomings. Unless you're thinking Detroit Locker - a different beast and definitely much stronger, but not nearly as smooth with limited slip action.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_126000.jpg

Last edited by hi5.0; 10/31/10 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Torsen Differential & Recaro Option Opinion's.