Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Torsen Differential & Recaro Option Opinion's.

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/10, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Torsen Differential & Recaro Option Opinion's.

When we are actually able to place an order for a BOSS 302 (not the LS) we will have to decide if we want Recaro seats and or Torsen Differential.

I do not plan on tracking the BOSS, I'm wondering if Recaros will be comfortable as a daily driver. I have never sat in one, let alone spent time driving around in one...

The Torsen Differential, will this be good for a DD or is it strictly designed for track use?

Obvious choice for Track, go for both, not so obvious for strictly the street or inexperienced (not actually sat-in or lived with Recaros/Torsen).

Since we won't have the luxury of test driving the BOSS, it becomes a question without hands on experience of what is the correct selection based on opinions (at least in my case).

Please share your opinion why I, or anyone, should go for the Recaros or the Torsen Differential.

LQQK

Last edited by LQQK; 10/15/10 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10/15/10, 03:37 PM
FR500 Member

You'll want both. There are plenty of cars using Torsen diffs or others of similar design. No clutch packs to wear out or friction modifier needed and practically "invisible" when driving on the street. One of the Torsen's downsides is its weakness when subjected to drag-style starts/shock loading under immense torque.
As for the seats, it depends on how aggressive the side bolstering is and how big you are. Since this car is destined for a wide variety of drivers, I'm sure Ford would more likely err on the "wide" side. You could try sitting in a Mitsubishi Evo to get a better idea of what the Recaros in the Boss may feel like. In Ford tradition, the factory GT seats don't offer that much lateral support for spirited driving.
In any case, if you're going to buy a Boss or Boss/LS, may as well load it with all the performance options available from the factory.
Old 10/15/10, 03:58 PM
Cobra R Member

It's a good question and one that I was hoping we would see discussed. Once again Ford's lack of information is not helping those without hands-on experience make an informed choice.

What does the Torsen dif. actually do for the performance of a car? How is it different than regular dif's.?
Old 10/15/10, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd definitley be getting the Racaro/Torsen package if I get a Boss. I've had factory Recaro seats in a vehicle in the past, and have also driven cars with Torsen diffs. Both should be very streetable, and although the Recaros whould be a bit more restricting for the larger folks, they tend to be more accomodating than a real race bucket would be.
Old 10/15/10, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Whammer

What does the Torsen dif. actually do for the performance of a car? How is it different than regular dif's.?
it means you won't end up with "one wheel peel" after hard use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

Last edited by Dr Evil; 10/15/10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10/15/10, 04:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I'd definitley be getting the Racaro/Torsen package if I get a Boss. I've had factory Recaro seats in a vehicle in the past, and have also driven cars with Torsen diffs. Both should be very streetable, and although the Recaros whould be a bit more restricting for the larger folks, they tend to be more accomodating than a real race bucket would be.
What would a 2-3 hour highway drive feel like in Recaro's? Would you describe them as comfortable? Or are they more geared towards holding you firmly while on the track?

What does a Torsen feel like?
Old 10/15/10, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

more geared towards holding you firmly while on the track
you got it
Old 10/15/10, 05:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Sounds like if you're not going to track the car the Recaro/Torsen option would be probably something you would regret getting. There street applications would be very limited and they would probably make DD'ing less enjoyable.
Old 10/15/10, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I talked to someone on IMBOC who got a chance to sat in the Recaro seat of the LS. He liked them and said they fit him well. Of course, I am not sure how tall or wide he was, but he looked comfortable judging by the expression on his face

That said, I am having the same discussion with myself. For me, it will come down to price.

The Alcantara surface on the standard Boss seat should help A LOT with grip. If you ever wanted to drive the car at autocrosses, my experience has been actually having better seatbelts makes a world of difference. Your shoulders need to be held in tight so your torso doesn't move around with the G-force loading.

The Recaros are nice not only because of their shape and surface covering, but also because they have the slots for a harness. Now here's the trick - you need to attach the harness belts to the car's unibody BEHIND the driver seat at the appropriate angle. What I would like to see is how someone has done that with an existing '10-'11 car. Perhaps there would be a provision for this in the Boss, but it is unknown.
Old 10/15/10, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Tony,

Briefly sitting in a seat is not going to help judge how well suited they might be to a long distance drive or daily use. So while the IMBOC member might've felt "cool" sitting in them and might've liked the feel of the seat, one would need a lot more "seat time" to know if these would be suited to a non tracked/seldom tracked car.

If I had to order right at this moment I would NOT order that seat/diff. option.
Old 10/15/10, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Without sitting in the seats for a long time period its really hard to say what would be better.
In saying that, I have the Recaro seat option in my SVT focus (obviously a different seat) but they are very comfortable for a long (8+) hour drive. I'm not a small guy at 6' and 235lbs.
On a side note, I plan to order the Recaro option. If I hate them, I'm sure plenty of GT guys will be willing to pay good money for them.
Old 10/15/10, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

What would a 2-3 hour highway drive feel like in Recaro's? Would you describe them as comfortable? Or are they more geared towards holding you firmly while on the track?
The reclining Recaro seats that were standard or factory options on a variety of cars that I've been in have all been a bit stiffer and had more agressive bolstering than stock, but have all been a lot more comfortable than the dedicated fixed back race seats I've owned.

Individual comfort levels will vary, and what one person can happily drive cross-country in will cause another person great discomfort after an hour or two.
Old 10/15/10, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tony,

Briefly sitting in a seat is not going to help judge how well suited they might be to a long distance drive or daily use. So while the IMBOC member might've felt "cool" sitting in them and might've liked the feel of the seat, one would need a lot more "seat time" to know if these would be suited to a non tracked/seldom tracked car.

If I had to order right at this moment I would NOT order that seat/diff. option.
Correct...without sitting in it, one would not know. Keith's comments are thoughtful and most likely representative of what one needs to consider. I like the standard seats in my '10 GT for travel comfort. I think the grippier seating surface would be enough, as I would autocross this car more than take it on a road course. And if I was on a road course, I'd not likely be going 10/10ths around turns.
I imagine the seats and differential would add $2000 to the cost, going by what the aftermarket charges and taking into account Ford's economies of scale.
Old 10/15/10, 06:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I would definitely get both options given the chance.

The Recaros in the 00R are a welcome change to the seats in my 07 GT. The bolstering is great and I am not a little guy at all. I would imagine they will be similar to the R seats as I've never really heard a complaint about them from other R owners.

The torsen would be a no brained for me, but that may not he the case with everyone. Everyone will have different reasons for buying and different uses for the car, that's why theyre a good option to be able to get.
Old 10/15/10, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I would definitely get both options given the chance.
Sadly they are not separate options, they are combined into one option package.
Old 10/15/10, 07:28 PM
Post *****

Well that would make it a more difficult choice for some for sure. You've got to want both to get both. Or really want one so bad you are willing to have the other. I'd rather have Recaros than alcantra myself. So much so I'd be willing to pay not have the alacantra. It's just a personal preference.
Old 10/15/10, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well that would make it a more difficult choice for some for sure. You've got to want both to get both. Or really want one so bad you are willing to have the other. I'd rather have Recaros than alcantra myself. So much so I'd be willing to pay not have the alacantra. It's just a personal preference.
I think the Recaro's are also alcantra.
Old 10/15/10, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

It looks like it will be either or, according to the concepts thread.

LQQK

Last edited by LQQK; 10/15/10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10/15/10, 08:15 PM
Post *****

I think the Recaro's are also alcantra.
Doubt it. Buy if so, why?
Old 10/15/10, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you want one and not the other, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Want the Recaro seats and not the Torsen LSD (not quite sure why anyone would want this)? Get the package, sell the Torsen, and install the inferior traction-lock differential. Want the Torsen and not the Recaro seats? Don't get the package, and add the Torsen LSD after you get the car, IIRC a Torsen is around $500 plus installation.

Quick Reply: Torsen Differential & Recaro Option Opinion's.