Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Thoughts on the Middle Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/10, 12:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Evil
Do you really want to have a stripped out, rough riding mustang to cruise in when you could have a fully loaded GT for the same money?
Where does it state that the BOSS 302 is rough riding?

LQQK
Old 10/11/10, 06:51 AM
Cobra R Member

you may want to visit the R section on SVT and see how many actually make it too the track. The R models are alot more rare than the Boss will be.

I guess your reasoning is that Ford should water the car down because they will all be garage queens anyway? I have no idea why someone would buy a Boss if they are not going to take it to the track. Do you really want to have a stripped out, rough riding mustang to cruise in when you could have a fully loaded GT for the same money?

I get a real laugh from stuff like this.
What kind of "track" driving are you talking about? The kind where you just take the car out onto a local track and drive it around for a few laps or the kind where you actually race the car?
I doubt that many guys are going to spend 40k, void their warranty and burn through a set of tires hammering their new Boss 302 around the track in an actual race.
Old 10/11/10, 06:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That may be true... but for the purists, come Sunday they want it rough and raw. At least that's the story. I never rode in a Boss to know, only a 65 2+2 thru HS.
Well then the Boss should come without AC and power windows. Think of the weight savings if they eliminated those 2 items!
Geez, is it so unfathomable to have a power seat in a Boss? Is a 6 disc CD player going to add that much more weight than a single disc CD player?
I suppose an aftermarket sound system would be better anyway.
Old 10/11/10, 09:26 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
What kind of "track" driving are you talking about? The kind where you just take the car out onto a local track and drive it around for a few laps or the kind where you actually race the car?
I doubt that many guys are going to spend 40k, void their warranty and burn through a set of tires hammering their new Boss 302 around the track in an actual race.
Not many. But that is what the 302R is for. 35k$ worth of factory race prep for those who have the coin. Unless there is a showroom stock series made for the Boss (similar to the Player's Challenge series for the 1LE Camaros) then I wouldn't expect many people to shell out for a brand new BOSS to turn it into a track car.
Old 10/11/10, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Where does it state that the BOSS 302 is rough riding?

LQQK
rough compared to a GT. The point being that if you are not going to put the Boss on a road-coarse, what would be the point vs. a GT where you get all the bells and whistles for the same price. The GT is offers more performance than you can exploit on the street anyway.
Old 10/11/10, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

What kind of "track" driving are you talking about? The kind where you just take the car out onto a local track and drive it around for a few laps
yup, that kind. There are alot of folks who want a car that is set up properly for the track even if it is ultimately a street car. For reference, see lotus owners.

BTW, yes ditching the AC would save weight but since we are talking about a 3600lbs pony car the weight savings wouldn't bring any measurable performance.

Again, why would Ford throw every option possible on the car? It doesn't make sense for the buyer the car is targeted at and would drive the price higher. They already make a loaded up performance car which you know since you own one (btw, it has not been discontinued and will probably get a HP bump in '13 if you are in the market). What is so bad about Ford offering up something a little different to appeal to a new segment?
Old 10/11/10, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

You do realize that you can go to a track event without actually racing, right? You may not have many events in your neck of the woods but I'll bet I could go to an event 2-3 times a month spring, summer and fall. If you ever did go to one of the events, you would be amazed at the high dollar machinery going around the track. Don't assume just because you don't do it, that no one else does it.

Some call tracking a "go-fast crack pipe" and it's an addiction that everyone should enjoy at least once!
Old 10/11/10, 10:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, it's very simple:

V6 - GT - Boss 302 - Boss 302 LS - GT500 in terms of Ford offerings.

The Boss isn't slotted above the others. Pricing will show that.
Old 10/11/10, 02:20 PM
Cobra R Member

yup, that kind. There are alot of folks who want a car that is set up properly for the track even if it is ultimately a street car. For reference, see lotus owners.

BTW, yes ditching the AC would save weight but since we are talking about a 3600lbs pony car the weight savings wouldn't bring any measurable performance.

Again, why would Ford throw every option possible on the car? It doesn't make sense for the buyer the car is targeted at and would drive the price higher. They already make a loaded up performance car which you know since you own one (btw, it has not been discontinued and will probably get a HP bump in '13 if you are in the market). What is so bad about Ford offering up something a little different to appeal to a new segment?
I'm not sure why you want to exaggerate in order to validate your point of view.
I never said "throw every option possible" on the car.
I don't think asking for a power seat or Sirius is unreasonable.

One could almost argue that power seats are actually a standard feature, not many mustangs come with manual seats.
Here in Canada you can't even order a mustang without power seats or without the Shaker 500, THEY are not options here in Canada, they are standard equipment.
Old 10/11/10, 03:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just read Nathan W's comment on the Boss at the Texas fair and his comments about the 4 door Raptor. Pretty good analogy here.

Ford builds this awesome Baja truck that'll eat anything. A true Baja racer that is street legal. But right away the upscale creature comfort/technomaniac crowd wants to also have that biggest baddest Baja racing truck for going shopping, running the kids to soccer, taking the fam to church, etc., etc., with 4 doors so its easy to get in and out of, all the tech gadgets (that will be obsolete in 6 months), as they drive it forever on paved streets in traffic. That's not really what the Raptor engineers intended is it?

I think that same analogy plays out for a street legal racing Boss getting all the gussied up options too.

IMO