Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Thoughts on the Middle Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the Middle Mustang

Ford seems to have mixed up the formula with the Boss. Looking back at the Bullitts and the Mach, Ford was giving a buyer who might normally purchase a GT the option of getting a bit more performance without having to step way up the price ladder to the cobra version. The Boss changes this. I view the Boss as an SE targeted at a completely different market than the GT500 much in the way Porsche has the GT3 vs. the Turbo.

It's funny how closely the Mustang lineup follows the 911 variants.

911 = GT
Turbo = GT500
GT3 = Boss
GT3 RS = Boss LS

If you look back at threads from when Ford first released the Boss specs you will see comments about how they thought the Boss would cost 60+k. This is because Ford has so thoroughly gone through the Boss that a 40k price point seems a little unbelievable.

I think ultimately the Boss is the most desirable mustang much in the same way the GT3 is viewed by enthusiasts as the best 911 even though neither of these models is the most expensive. For me, if the GT500 and Boss carried the same MSRP I would opt for the Boss. When the vehicles hit dealer lots and the markups begin, I think that even initially the Boss will be less costly to purchase than the 500. As the Boss prices settle down several months later, the fact that you will be able to buy such a special car for the same price as a loaded GT still does not compute in my brain.
Old 10/10/10, 12:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this is pretty much what I have been saying. no way its going to be less then upper 40k range.
Old 10/10/10, 03:08 PM
Cobra R Member

The lack of available options for the Boss both hurt it and help it. They help it by keeping the price of the car lower than the GT500. They hurt it because some people would like to have a few features on their car- security, power seats, upgraded radio, SAT radio, perhaps even Nav.
So while that Boss might be close to the price of a loaded GT the loaded GT at least will have a number of features to making driving it more enjoyable.

People wanting power AND options will get the GT500.
Old 10/10/10, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to disagree about the Boss being sloted over the GT500 as per your example comparison with the Porsche.

The Boss will be in the middle. The Sticker price will be under the GT500. However that will not stop dealers from trying to get way over that, making it the same or more then the Shelby.
Old 10/10/10, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil

It's funny how closely the Mustang lineup follows the 911 variants.
It is interesting...

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 10/10/10 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 03:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
The lack of available options for the Boss both hurt it and help it. They help it by keeping the price of the car lower than the GT500. They hurt it because some people would like to have a few features on their car- security, power seats, upgraded radio, SAT radio, perhaps even Nav.
So while that Boss might be close to the price of a loaded GT the loaded GT at least will have a number of features to making driving it more enjoyable.

People wanting power AND options will get the GT500.
How long are they going to make the Boss? I would like to see them make a Mach1(Power+Goodies). I don't care if its a 5.0 or 5.4L, as long as it is "priced" between a GT and a GT500.
Old 10/10/10, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Boss is designed as a pure performance machine. That's why you don't have all the luxury options that are avail on the regular GT and GT500.
Old 10/10/10, 05:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
The Boss is designed as a pure performance machine. That's why you don't have all the luxury options that are avail on the regular GT and GT500.

Do you think having power seats and a SAT radio would really lower it's performance all that much? I'm pretty sure high end performance cars are equipped with that and more and it doesn't hurt their performance.
The lack of options is purely so the Boss can come in at a price point well below the GT500.
Old 10/10/10, 05:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The lack of options is purely so the Boss can come in at a price point well below the GT500.
I thought it was to symbolize the original - which wasn't known for creature comforts or a smooth highway ride. It was raw. More of a race machine modded to be street legal. Isn't that the tradition/theme they are trying to adhere to for the Boss purists?

If not, then it would be easy for them to have a number of option packages and run up the price - only for those that want fancy stuff - but wouldn't change the base price between the GT & GT500.

So it appears to me it is because of the Boss racing legacy for purists vs any price point agenda.

Now as far as those ghetto color schemes, I don't know what market they're going for there... inner city buyers?

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/10/10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10/10/10, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
I have to disagree about the Boss being sloted over the GT500 as per your example comparison with the Porsche.

The Boss will be in the middle. The Sticker price will be under the GT500. However that will not stop dealers from trying to get way over that, making it the same or more then the Shelby.
I didn't say it was slotted over the GT500. I am saying that it is likely the better car for those seeking pure performance ala GT3 vs Turbo.
Old 10/10/10, 05:56 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
this is pretty much what I have been saying. no way its going to be less then upper 40k range.
That is likely to be so for the Boss LS. I'd think the Boss will like be an additional $5K above the GT, give or take depending on similar options for both.
Old 10/10/10, 05:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you think having power seats and a SAT radio would really lower it's performance all that much? I'm pretty sure high end performance cars are equipped with that and more and it doesn't hurt their performance.
of course they wouldn't hurt performance but that's not the point. Ford already has a high powered street machine with all the bells and whistles called the GT500. The Boss is catered to a different customer. Why doesn't the GT3 come with full leather and PDK?
Old 10/10/10, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Now as far as those ghetto color schemes, I don't know what market they're going for there... inner city buyers?
you look at race cars and think "inner city"?
Old 10/10/10, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
How long are they going to make the Boss? I would like to see them make a Mach1(Power+Goodies). I don't care if its a 5.0 or 5.4L, as long as it is "priced" between a GT and a GT500.
this actually hits on the point of my post. The Boss is not this gap filler like previous SEs but rather designed for a different group of enthusiasts.

Believe it or not, there are a TON of Porsche and BMW owners that started out with Mustangs. I think Ford is trying to lure a sub-set of those buyers back (the track crowd) by building a vehicle that has a chance to do so.
Old 10/10/10, 06:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
you look at race cars and think "inner city"?
Problem being, the Boss pics thus far don't strike me as race cars. Just whacked out designer gone stupid.
Old 10/10/10, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

No I don't think it would hurt the performance at all. It just doesn't fit the image of the Boss. It's designed as a pure raw performance car.
Old 10/10/10, 07:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I thought it was to symbolize the original - which wasn't known for creature comforts or a smooth highway ride. It was raw. More of a race machine modded to be street legal. Isn't that the tradition/theme they are trying to adhere to for the Boss purists?

If not, then it would be easy for them to have a number of option packages and run up the price - only for those that want fancy stuff - but wouldn't change the base price between the GT & GT500.

So it appears to me it is because of the Boss racing legacy for purists vs any price point agenda.

Nah, that's just make believe. Every dealer who would be ordering one for stock would load the car up with all the options and then the car would be into GT500 price range. Ford doesn't want that. It's the same reason the car isn't putting out 500hp, which is should be, they don't want to get too close to the GT500.

You guys can write all about who this car is intended for and the rawness of it, etc. But the truth is- almost everyone who buys this car is not going to use it the way you think it's intended. It's going to sit in a garage most of it's life and get taken out on sunday for a wash and drive.
Old 10/10/10, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah, that's just make believe. Every dealer who would be ordering one for stock would load the car up with all the options and then the car would be into GT500 price range. Ford doesn't want that. It's the same reason the car isn't putting out 500hp, which is should be, they don't want to get too close to the GT500.

You guys can write all about who this car is intended for and the rawness of it, etc. But the truth is- almost everyone who buys this car is not going to use it the way you think it's intended. It's going to sit in a garage most of it's life and get taken out on sunday for a wash and drive.

Yup, and that's the sad reality of it. Not many will be tracked and most will be stored as future "collector" cars. I'll be six feet under by the time this car is worth any thing so if I bought one I'm driving it!!!
Old 10/10/10, 07:57 PM
Post *****

That may be true... but for the purists, come Sunday they want it rough and raw. At least that's the story. I never rode in a Boss to know, only a 65 2+2 thru HS.
Old 10/10/10, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

you may want to visit the R section on SVT and see how many actually make it too the track. The R models are alot more rare than the Boss will be.

I guess your reasoning is that Ford should water the car down because they will all be garage queens anyway? I have no idea why someone would buy a Boss if they are not going to take it to the track. Do you really want to have a stripped out, rough riding mustang to cruise in when you could have a fully loaded GT for the same money?

Last edited by Dr Evil; 10/10/10 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Middle Mustang