Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Roush Mufflers or other Bolt On Mufflers for BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/11, 09:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LateApex
This is why I am wondering if a custom X-pipe that actually increased flow out of the side pipes might be really beneficial.
I guess what I am questioning is the relatively smaller diameter of the side pipes creating restriction. It seems that freeing it up through the larger rear pipes would provide the maximum gain
Old 6/25/11, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Installed Roush axel backs tonight on my Boss 302. Also I am running a 5/8 hole in the discs. the sound is what I was looking for. The car now has Great sound from the rear along with the side. Two things I noticed. After the axel backs were in, it stoped the minor popping that you get from the side exhaust and the car seemed to breath better. I also noticed a small gain in how the car response. I also went from 16.3 MPG to 16.5MPG. The whole job took about 70 minutes with 1 jack, and 2 wrenches. Plus you shave about 25 pounds off the rear of your car. Stock mufflers are heavy.
IMO the Roush Axel backs are the best bang for the buck.
Old 6/25/11, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man
+ 1! Awesome you are enjoying the Roush's
Old 6/25/11, 06:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Installed Roush axel backs tonight on my Boss 302. Also I am running a 5/8 hole in the discs. the sound is what I was looking for. The car now has Great sound from the rear along with the side. Two things I noticed. After the axel backs were in, it stoped the minor popping that you get from the side exhaust and the car seemed to breath better. I also noticed a small gain in how the car response. I also went from 16.3 MPG to 16.5MPG. The whole job took about 70 minutes with 1 jack, and 2 wrenches. Plus you shave about 25 pounds off the rear of your car. Stock mufflers are heavy.
Could
You get size and weight of the stock mufflers!
Old 6/25/11, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Sound clips man. Sound clips!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6/25/11, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's great news. I was wondering if the popping/cackling would go away with a freer flowing axle back. Hopefully I'll get the same result with the Corsas. That's pretty cool that you cut 25 lbs. I need to remember to weigh mine before putting them on.
Old 6/25/11, 06:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great info, thanks
Old 6/25/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Two things.

The popping/crackling is the best part of driving this car daily.

Want the side exist to free up HP? Put turn down immediately where the "plate" flang is. Loud, very. Illegal, absolutely. But big flow increase.

S.
Old 6/25/11, 08:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2

this!
Old 6/25/11, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Two things.

Want the side exist to free up HP? Put turn down immediately where the "plate" flang is. Loud, very. Illegal, absolutely. But big flow increase.

S.
The Roush Axle Backs pop/crackle all the time. Trust me, if it went away from the side pipes..the mufflers make up for it. I love the way mine decels.
Old 6/26/11, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Just ordered the Corsa Extremes. Found a great price and they had a $40 instant credit on any exhaust system over $350. Out the door shipped for $565!!!

http://www.corsaperf.com/product_dis...px?product=479
Hum, I hope they sound better in person than they do in this Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2nQ25LvX9lQ
Old 6/26/11, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
From 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords August Issue 14 page article on Boss:

Talking about side-pipes with spacer plate removed:

Horsepower isn't affected in any case as there is no meaningful gas flow through the side-pipes, which are purposefully mounted 90 degrees to the main gas flow at the H pipe. Think of the side-pipes as the exhaust equivalent of the induction sound tube - Fun, but nothing you'll see on a stopwatch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I strongly recommend getting this issue, one of the most informative article's with details provided from Tim Vaughn, RoadRunner's lead program engineer.
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Opening the side pipes does produce 3-5 hp from reducing back pressure. A Ford engineer who worked on the exhaust system and is a member here stated there would be a small gain and it's already been proven on a dyno. Not much to get excited about but there is a gain.
A 3-5hp gain will not lower your 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.
Old 6/26/11, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Hum, I hope they sound better in person than they do in this Video.
I heard them on a friend's 5.0 at the track. It's a much deeper sound and he swears there is no drone at all at highway speeds. I've never really been able to get a good feel for exhaust sound from videos. It almost always sounds different in person A lot of other friends have Corsas on their Vettes and they sound awesome. I know it's a different car, but still really great sounding exhaust. Exhaust is one of those personal preference deals and there will be a huge range of opinions based on what each individual wants from it. Heck look at how many different sized side pipe discs people are running. For me, it's just far too quiet from the back of the car after having driven it for 3 months. I really like the sound from the sides, and like I said earlier the pop/crackle is kind of raw...in a good way, so I'm good either way on that.
Old 6/26/11, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I heard them on a friend's 5.0 at the track. It's a much deeper sound and he swears there is no drone at all at highway speeds. I've never really been able to get a good feel for exhaust sound from videos. It almost always sounds different in person
I know what you mean. You can watch 5 different videos of the same exhaust and they all sound different. I've watched other videos with the Corsa Extremes and off road X pipes and they sound great.
Old 6/26/11, 02:20 PM

Retune

I'm wondering if you have to retune the car with a exhaust change. Seems like I read somewhere if you changed the air filter with a cold air system and K&N filter you should retune the car.
Old 6/26/11, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1BadBoss
I'm wondering if you have to retune the car with a exhaust change. Seems like I read somewhere if you changed the air filter with a cold air system and K&N filter you should retune the car.
No.
Old 6/26/11, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1BadBoss
You've asked a question to which the answer is no, and made a statement to which the answer is yes whether it's a K&N filter, FRPP filter or other open filter used in an after-market CAI system.
Old 6/26/11, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the responses, I think I will consider changing mine out too.
Old 6/26/11, 05:59 PM

I have MRT Interceptor axle back and they sound GREAT.You can hear them on a video Laguna Seca MRT.

LS014
Old 6/27/11, 09:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Could
You get size and weight of the stock mufflers!
Yep curious about this as well. Looks like my package weight is 35.5 lbs according to FedEx. Oh well I should have them tomorrow or Wednesday so can weigh the stock ones after I get them off the car.

Quick Reply: Roush Mufflers or other Bolt On Mufflers for BOSS