Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Roush Mufflers or other Bolt On Mufflers for BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/11, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LQQK
Just got back from a drive and now I'm going for another....
Old 6/24/11, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Yep, just a fancy name for Mufflers.
Thanks, sounds like a lot of money for that
Old 6/24/11, 09:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
A friend of mine was running the Corsa Extremes on his 5.0 last weekend at the track. I'm planning to go that route right now. They sound great and don't really come on until you hit about 3500 rpm which makes keeping a low pro around town easier when you want to. They advertise a 7hp/4tq gain and an 18lb weight savings....
I wonder if there's less of a HP gain on the Boss especially with the side pipes open.
Old 6/24/11, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I wonder if there's less of a HP gain on the Boss especially with the side pipes open.
Yep wondered the same thing. Interesting question though. I was at a big car show tonight talking to one of the guys from a local performance shop about them. He wondered about the restriction of the side pipes given their relatively small diameter and that there may be some hp to be freed up bypassing them. It made me wonder if in fact despite virtually everything else being done for performance reasons on the Boss, are the side pipes more "nostalgic"? They probably couldn't be built like the original Boss due to EPA/DOT restrictions today, including the extremely restrictive discs. Since the 302R cars are not running a quad exhaust, I am starting to wonder if a new X-pipe without the cutouts might not be in order at some point...... It would certainly cut some weight...maybe 20 lbs?.....and potentially flow better?
Old 6/24/11, 10:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you going to remove the cats?
Old 6/24/11, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
Yep wondered the same thing. Interesting question though. I was at a big car show tonight talking to one of the guys from a local performance shop about them. He wondered about the restriction of the side pipes given their relatively small diameter and that there may be some hp to be freed up bypassing them. It made me wonder if in fact despite virtually everything else being done for performance reasons on the Boss, are the side pipes more "nostalgic"? They probably couldn't be built like the original Boss due to EPA/DOT restrictions today, including the extremely restrictive discs. Since the 302R cars are not running a quad exhaust, I am starting to wonder if a new X-pipe without the cutouts might not be in order at some point...... It would certainly cut some weight...maybe 20 lbs?.....and potentially flow better?
I'm no expert on this but I think the reason why the Corsas increase HP is due to decreased back pressure. So if the side pipes increase HP by being opened up and decreasing back pressure isn't that the same thing as more free flowing mufflers? And wouldn't it be better to decrease back pressure prior to the exhaust hitting the mufflers? I'm just thinking out load here...
Old 6/24/11, 10:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'm no expert on this but I think the reason why the Corsas increase HP is due to decreased back pressure. So if the side pipes increase HP by being opened up and decreasing back pressure isn't that the same thing as more free flowing mufflers? And wouldn't it be better to decrease back pressure prior to the exhaust hitting the mufflers? I'm just thinking out load here...
I don't think anyone considered you an expert

Opening the side pipes goes give an incremental increase in power. Im thinking of changing the mufflers but first I need to find the size and weight, I won't be buying an axle back as I think it's kinda pricey.
Old 6/24/11, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vito
I don't think anyone considered you an expert

Opening the side pipes goes give an incremental increase in power. Im thinking of changing the mufflers but first I need to find the size and weight, I won't be buying an axle back as I think it's kinda pricey.
Some people consider me an expert BS'er...

You might consider these from Ford Racing for an improvement in sound without breaking the bank.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Exhaust-Kit
Old 6/24/11, 10:50 PM

Just from an appearance standpoint, they sure look similar to the axle-backs that come stock on the Boss. Am I off base?
Old 6/24/11, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott001313
Just from an appearance standpoint, they sure look similar to the axle-backs that come stock on the Boss. Am I off base?
The Boss comes with the stock GT 5.0 mufflers with bigger tips added. The link I provided are similar (the same?) as the GT500 mufflers. There is a difference in sound.
Old 6/24/11, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

I got something different in mind, one of two things. I had these on my 01 lightning and it was nice
Old 6/25/11, 12:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget that the 302Rs also do not run cats.
Old 6/25/11, 05:43 AM
Cobra Member

From 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords August Issue 14 page article on Boss:

Talking about side-pipes with spacer plate removed:

Horsepower isn't affected in any case as there is no meaningful gas flow through the side-pipes, which are purposefully mounted 90 degrees to the main gas flow at the H pipe. Think of the side-pipes as the exhaust equivalent of the induction sound tube - Fun, but nothing you'll see on a stopwatch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I strongly recommend getting this issue, one of the most informative article's with details provided from Tim Vaughn, RoadRunner's lead program engineer.
Old 6/25/11, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Horsepower isn't affected in any case as there is no meaningful gas flow through the side-pipes, which are purposefully mounted 90 degrees to the main gas flow at the H pipe. Think of the side-pipes as the exhaust equivalent of the induction sound tube - Fun, but nothing you'll see on a stopwatch.

I strongly recommend getting this issue, one of the most informative article's with details provided from Tim Vaughn, RoadRunner's lead program engineer.
Good info. I hadn't seen that. I am going to look for that issue.
Old 6/25/11, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Don't forget that the 302Rs also do not run cats.
Which will always produce a gain. Just doing "mufflers" Vito
Old 6/25/11, 08:31 AM

Opening the side pipes does produce 3-5 hp from reducing back pressure. A Ford engineer who worked on the exhaust system and is a member here stated there would be a small gain and it's already been proven on a dyno. Not much to get excited about but there is a gain.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 6/25/11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 6/25/11, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

This is why I am wondering if a custom X-pipe that actually increased flow out of the side pipes might be really beneficial.
Old 6/25/11, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm all for more power but I like the fact that we have the side exhaust whereas the other models dont. It's one of the things that gets peoples attention when they are looking at the car and I mention it. Most of them squat down to check them out. I'll leave them in just because they are one of the pieces that makes the Boss different.

I wasnt thinking about changing mufflers but after hearing the sound clips I might just do it.
Old 6/25/11, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm with you Eddie...first night I puller the plates out and I'm putting the Roush axle backs on...end of exhaust mods for me. I like the fact no other cars have the side exits.
Old 6/25/11, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
I wasnt thinking about changing mufflers but after hearing the sound clips I might just do it.
I wasn't either until I realized how quiet the sound was from the back of the car and how much weight could be saved. I like the sound from the side (sans discs) as well but some people don’t care for the "cackle". I kind of like it.....seems a little raw

Quick Reply: Roush Mufflers or other Bolt On Mufflers for BOSS