Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Replacement Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/11, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Pedals

Has anyone replaced the pedals with aftermarket units. If so can you tell me how you removed the stock pedals.
Old 4/20/11, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just bought some so I would also like instructions. Subscribed

www.**********
Old 4/20/11, 11:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

My ford service person told me that you can't replace the pedal tops, you have to attach the new pedals over the originals. I bought a new gas pedal that's wider for aiding heel/toe downshifting. I plan on attaching it to the existing pedal when it arrives.
Old 4/21/11, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

check with Autovation Technologies, they make incredible pedals and are great for heel/toe. I just put a set in my CTS-V and am very happy with them.
Old 4/21/11, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I've used, and like, SRP

Sullivan Racing Products pedals. don't know about getting the stock ones off.
Old 4/21/11, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

https://themustangsource.com/f813/al...pedals-493732/
Old 4/21/11, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is this Boss specific?

If not, the brake and clutch pedals usually "peel" off... It wraps around a flat metal piece which is the 'pedal' itself. The gas pedal is probably stuck on w/ an epoxy or double sided tape.....
Old 4/22/11, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

From this photo:

Looks like they're the old "GT500" pedals.

Which means he's correct about them 'peeling' off, they're a wrap around rubber design. My GT500 gas pedal was screwed on:

Old 8/10/11, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm going to install some SRP Pedals. I guess I'm not clear on the installation. does the existing pedal have a peal-off cover or do you just mount the new pedals over / on top of hte current pedal?
Old 8/10/11, 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Which means he's correct about them 'peeling' off, they're a wrap around rubber design.
Originally Posted by Bossdog
I'm going to install some SRP Pedals. I guess I'm not clear on the installation. does the existing pedal have a peal-off cover or do you just mount the new pedals over / on top of hte current pedal?
I'm thinking there might be a different way to say it, but can't come up with one...

The brake and clutch pedal are rubber wrap around designs, with the overlying aluminum metal glued or otherwise attached. Just grab the back part, and peel off (takes a bit of effort). Then the bare metal pedal is exposed. Will have to be drilled through with a tough bit, use the pedal as a template for where the holes go. Then the self tapping screws.

The gas pedal unscrews from the back, leaving a heavy black plastic instead of metal. Same process of mounting the replacement, just easier to drill in.
Old 8/11/11, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking there might be a different way to say it, but can't come up with one...

The brake and clutch pedal are rubber wrap around designs, with the overlying aluminum metal glued or otherwise attached. Just grab the back part, and peel off (takes a bit of effort). Then the bare metal pedal is exposed. Will have to be drilled through with a tough bit, use the pedal as a template for where the holes go. Then the self tapping screws.

The gas pedal unscrews from the back, leaving a heavy black plastic instead of metal. Same process of mounting the replacement, just easier to drill in.
Thanks, that's helpful. I spoke with SRP guys today and they said the same thing. I ordered the wider gas pedal but also had him include the stock width pedal. I only track 3 to 5 times each year and others like my son and wife will drive the Boss from time to time. I don't want to create an issue with inadvertantly hitting the gas while emergency braking with the wider pedal. So, my plan is to install the wider pedal only for track days, then replace it with the std width SRP pedal.
Old 8/11/11, 04:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

my son and wife will drive the Boss from time to time.
You are obviously a loving spouse and father. I dont think my wife will ever be driving my Boss. Unless it is the only available vehicle to transport me to either the emergency room or morgue.
Old 8/11/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
You are obviously a loving spouse and father. I dont think my wife will ever be driving my Boss. Unless it is the only available vehicle to transport me to either the emergency room or morgue.
Tell her NOT to take you in the Boss if your bleeding too bad.
Old 8/11/11, 09:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell her NOT to take you in the Boss if your bleeding too bad.
HAHAHA!! Thanks, good advice. And she will probably avoid using the Boss for ambulance duty as she will want to preserve the resale value in case I dont survive
Old 8/11/11, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

I don't want to create an issue with inadvertantly hitting the gas while emergency braking with the wider pedal. So, my plan is to install the wider pedal only for track days, then replace it with the std width SRP pedal.
That is NOT an insignificant problem -- I moved my gas pedal closer to the brake to make heel/toe easier -- my ankle doesn't flop over the way some people like to do it, so I do the medial ball of foot on the right side of the brake, and the lateral foot to blip the left side of the gas. Pedals WAY too far apart stock, but even with the closer/bigger SRP pedals it wasn't enough. So, 1/2-3/4" closer, now much more reliable/repeatable.

BUT, if I'm getting lengthening brake pedal travel, or try a panic stop, and my foot isn't far enough over that brake pedal, watch out -- especially if the car is still in gear.

So not a bad idea, having separate ones for track/street. Will caution you, though, that given the gas pedal is plastic, not sure how long it'll hold up to repeated screw in/out with the self-tapping screws. Bolts with nylocs might be a better idea, just wonder about the depth of the backside of them.
Other option might be to drill two separate sets of holes, so not the same ones are used repeatedly, over and over, with both sets of pedals.
A metal gas pedal wouldn't have that issue. Mine currently has two different sets of holes (the originals, then the closer ones) and the hard plastic held up fine to that.
Old 8/12/11, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

That is NOT an insignificant problem -- I moved my gas pedal closer to the brake to make heel/toe easier -- my ankle doesn't flop over the way some people like to do it, so I do the medial ball of foot on the right side of the brake, and the lateral foot to blip the left side of the gas. Pedals WAY too far apart stock, but even with the closer/bigger SRP pedals it wasn't enough. So, 1/2-3/4" closer, now much more reliable/repeatable.

BUT, if I'm getting lengthening brake pedal travel, or try a panic stop, and my foot isn't far enough over that brake pedal, watch out -- especially if the car is still in gear.

So not a bad idea, having separate ones for track/street. Will caution you, though, that given the gas pedal is plastic, not sure how long it'll hold up to repeated screw in/out with the self-tapping screws. Bolts with nylocs might be a better idea, just wonder about the depth of the backside of them.
Other option might be to drill two separate sets of holes, so not the same ones are used repeatedly, over and over, with both sets of pedals.
A metal gas pedal wouldn't have that issue. Mine currently has two different sets of holes (the originals, then the closer ones) and the hard plastic held up fine to that.
What about purchasing a new (2nd) factory Pedal and having the new pedal(s) mounted to 2 different factory pedals. I don't know yet how difficult it is to unbolt and reinstall the gas pedal.
Old 8/12/11, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

medial lol, haven't heard that word since college. generally only medical folks use that word, looking at your car list are you a doctor? not that it matters, i just like guessing what people do based on arbitrary factors

also OP the metal covers on the pedals of the boss are exactly like the ones that were eon my 10 gt premium. They will pp right off and you can put them back on if you want. the pedals i put on that car required drilling into the metal behind the pedal covers and attached with screws. If you don't want to have the race pedals on the car all the time just use small wing nuts on the back of your racing pedal covers and you can remove them quickly and put the factory covers back on for the street.

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/12/11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 8/12/11, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
medial lol, haven't heard that word since college. generally only medical folks use that word, looking at your car list are you a doctor? not that it matters, i just like guessing what people do based on arbitrary factors
Yep. Funny how everyone is familiar with laterals, but the football announcers never say the QB threw a "medial". That's be funny

also OP the metal covers on the pedals of the boss are exactly like the ones that were eon my 10 gt premium. They will pp right off and you can put them back on if you want. the pedals i put on that car required drilling into the metal behind the pedal covers and attached with screws. If you don't want to have the race pedals on the car all the time just use small wing nuts on the back of your racing pedal covers and you can remove them quickly and put the factory covers back on for the street.
That's an even better idea -- would minimize the drilling into that plastic for sure.

I can't recall the setup for attaching the gas pedal, but that is an idea, to have separate ones with each setup. Wonder how much that'd be...

here ya go, eBay, $75

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...ht_1051wt_1165