Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Out of the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/11, 02:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
It's too early to tell. I've only had the Boss on two tracks and the second one was a new track to me. On the only track I could compare, it was my first track day in the Boss and I'd owned the car for 10 days. Obviously more seat time would help. I ran a square setup in the morning that day and found out it is absolutely WRONG for the Boss' suspension. In the afternoon I ran a staggered set that was on its last legs.....they were corded after 3 sessions. I did run a second faster than the morning though. My best lap in the Boss was 2.5 seconds slower than my BEST lap time ever on that track in the GT500. However, that best lap time was accomplished after at least 15 track days on that same track and done in 50 degree ambient on new tires. That lap time was also 1.5 seconds faster than my previous best lap time in the GT500 after hundreds of laps on that track.

A better comparison might be at BIR next month. I'll have new tires for the Boss and a lot more seat time. However, BIR is a power track and certainly favors high horsepower cars. The only issue right now is that I had to send my lap timer to Italy for repair and it's hung up in customs! Unfortunately they don't have transponders for rent there so I'm trying to find a backup plan. One of the guys I'm going with has the same timer as me so worst case hopefully I can borrow it for a session or two to put down some times.

Based on the differences in weight, horsepower and handling, it's possible either car could be better than the other depending on the track.
Which is more fun to drive on the track?
Old 5/21/11, 04:08 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... Based on the differences in weight, horsepower and handling, it's possible either car could be better than the other depending on the track.
I have either read an article or saw a video with a stock Boss 302 or LS and a stock SVTPP. The SVTPP had a couple of seconds slower lap times. I'd assume your '07 would have the better times.

Given the base of the Boss and the SVTPP there is room for improvement with a few upgrades and then they would be a bit more competitive if not slightly better than your '07.
Old 5/21/11, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Which is more fun to drive on the track?

The one being driven?

Old 5/21/11, 04:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I have either read an article or saw a video with a stock Boss 302 or LS and a stock SVTPP. The SVTPP had a couple of seconds slower lap times. I'd assume your '07 would have the better times.

Given the base of the Boss and the SVTPP there is room for improvement with a few upgrades and then they would be a bit more competitive if not slightly better than your '07.
http://www.insideline.com/ford/musta...ng_fe_111.html
Old 5/21/11, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That was it and could not remember. Thanks.
Old 5/21/11, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

The one being driven?

Now that's a great answer!
Old 5/21/11, 05:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Shouldn't you be driving somewhere?
Old 5/21/11, 05:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
I just got back a little bit ago, had to head in before the bugs got too bad.
Old 5/21/11, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Yes, shouldn't we all?

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 5/21/11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 5/21/11, 06:33 PM
Cobra R Member

I just got back a little bit ago, had to head in before the bugs got too bad.
Good deal, bugs ruin everything
Old 5/21/11, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Your review Cloud9, is the reason people on the fence should perhaps continue with their 1st gut intention to go with a BOSS. The power and handling cant be duplicated easily, without a supercharger, etc

At some point, you have to give and take.. this BOSS is a street legal race car, which you can have a literal blast with. Yeah, it doesn't have the comfort package, or navigation, or glassroof, or fancy dancy rims- or my color gauges with a rear video camera and HID's like my own personal 2011 Black Mustang GT Premium has. That's why I'm selling my 2011 starting tomorrow on Ebay, to make room for this 2012 Beast.

Hey, at least it has air-conditioning, unlike a few of my other race cars... and a nice stereo..

No you can't which is why I convinced my wife I NEEDED to keep my GT500. I'm conflicted. I drove the Boss on Monday, the GT500 on Tuesday, the Boss on Wednesday, and had to move my F-150 out of the driveway to get the GT500 out again this morning. I feel like an Avis parking lot attendant I wish there was a way to have it all. I love the brute force of my modded GT500, but you just can't beat the handling of the Boss, even with all the suspension mods on my GT500.

I went blasting down an interstate ramp in the Boss last night and my wife was giggling saying how it felt like a rocket ship and a roller coaster. Usually she's screaming at me to slow down, but she said "I just feel so much more planted in this car versus the GT500. I know you say you're in control but when the rear wheels are sliding all over the place I don't know how you could be " I have to agree in one sense. The GT500 is raw and the Boss is sooooo incredibly balanced and sure footed.
Old 5/21/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
Your review Cloud9, is the reason people on the fence should perhaps continue with their 1st gut intention to go with a BOSS. The power and handling cant be duplicated easily, without a supercharger, etc

I'm not talking about handling whatsoever.....but some are getting a little carried away with the power of a boss over a gt. My gt with mods below was considerably quicker than the boss I drove fwiw. With that being said, the handling is a noticeable difference. For me, I never have the opportunity to track my car, so modding a gt to be faster was my best bet but to each his own.