Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Out of the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/11, 05:40 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Out of the hunt

I had the chance to see a Boss 302 up close this past Sunday. I drove a couple of hundred miles with intentions to take it home, unfortunately it turns out it is not for me. It is nothing major other than it boils down to my personal preferences. I am very disappointed that after pumping myself up I will come up short on a plan I was looking forward to and to be part of a group with a great bunch of guys.

I am posting my decision since I have stated on several occasions I would be getting a Boss, not to open the flood gates for non fans.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 5/18/11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 5/18/11, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with that, that's why we have different choices.

I hope it was a good day for a drive, anyway.
Old 5/18/11, 05:46 PM

That stinks, bud, sorry it didn't hook you like it did some of us. Was it anything specific about the car that you didn't care for?
Old 5/18/11, 05:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing you got to test drive it before you bought it. Better to decide now than discovering it wasn't for you after you'd already bought it.

Back in the late '80's a good friend showed up in my driveway with a stunning white-with-red-stripes 1966 Shelby GT350. It was in fantastic condition and he had just bought it and was driving it around. A couple months later he mentioned that he sold it. WHY?!? Well, he said it was just too brutal to live with driving it around on the street. He was very disappointed. I doubt he lost much money but still, it was something he'd been looking to buy for years.
Old 5/18/11, 05:58 PM

I did not drive it, there was not point. There was another interested party who wound up buying it. It did sound real good though even with plates on the side exhaust.
Old 5/18/11, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I did not drive it, there was not point. There was another interested party who wound up buying it. It did sound real good though even with plates on the side exhaust.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused between your two posts - can you explain a little better?

You didn't test drive because there was no point in it, it didn't look as good as you thought?
Old 5/18/11, 06:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by meanmud
Sorry, I'm a bit confused between your two posts - can you explain a little better?

You didn't test drive because there was no point in it, it didn't look as good as you thought?
I think I know what he means, I was sort of in the same boat recently when I decided I wanted something new. I liked the idea of the Boss, what it offered, and its place in history as well as the current Mustang line up. But in the end, it just wasn't what I was looking for as a whole package, and more importantly I just didn't feel an emotional connection to the car. It just didn't strike that chord inside of me that made me go "WOW!" So I ended up going where my heart led me and I couldn't be happier. Nothing against the Boss whatsoever, its a great car. Its just not "my" great car.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/18/11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5/18/11, 06:21 PM

I drove to the dealer on my wife's car and she would have driven it back while I drove the Boss home. I did not test drive the Boss because I knew I would not buy it and not to claim purity but there was no benefit in deceiving the sales consultant. I am old fashioned and perhaps a bit on the dumb side.
Old 5/18/11, 06:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I drove to the dealer on my wife's car and she would have driven it back while I drove the Boss home. I did not test drive the Boss because I knew I would not buy it and not to claim purity but there was no benefit in deceiving the sales consultant. I am old fashioned and perhaps a bit on the dumb side.
Got it
Old 5/18/11, 08:10 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

The Boss is a car for a certain demographic. Cosmetically, it isn't anything more than a base 'GT, with lots of creature comforts unavailable. With the Boss, we get one hell of an engine, brake package, suspension, and not a whole lot more.
Old 5/18/11, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the money....you better love it.
Old 5/18/11, 08:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel your pain!
Old 5/18/11, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another perspective:

The Boss is the cheapest, fastest, disposable track car you can actually drive to the track. It is easy to repair with available parts, and when your done, there will be a lot of people interested in a modern muscle car.
Old 5/18/11, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Another perspective:

The Boss is the cheapest, fastest, disposable track car you can actually drive to the track. It is easy to repair with available parts, and when your done, there will be a lot of people interested in a modern muscle car.
+1; And it's a great daily driver as well that picks off targets of opportunity.
Old 5/18/11, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Another perspective:

+1; And it's a great daily driver as well that picks off targets of opportunity.
QFT!!!
Old 5/18/11, 10:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm out too George. When it was determined my dealer from whom I've bought at least a dozen cars from had their allocation of an LS taken by their larger Houston branch I decided that getting an LS at sticker was going to be more trouble than I was willing to give, even if I could find one.

I really, really thought I wanted one, but I think it's not meant to be and I will wait for that must have feeling again. Right now given the choice I'd take a GT500 SVT PP but then again I know I'd want to put a TVS on it and for what? So I'm forcing myself to keep what I've got and I just tell myself that my '07 GT has just as much hp as a stock 2011 GT500 and until I feel the need, I'm good for now.
Old 5/18/11, 10:24 PM
Cobra R Member

What was it that was the deal breaker?
Old 5/18/11, 11:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

To me it's an affordable Porsche 911 GT3. On the street or the track it will have similar performance and fun factor but at a fraction of the cost. What really separates the Boss from the GT 5.0 is the engine. It's an engine Ford has developed for two spec class cars with all of their engineering and durability testing behind it. Years from now if these cars remain desirable and valuable it will be because of the engine.

Early on I was considering a GT 5.0. But after seeing the Boss in person last November I decided the Boss was it and I placed a deposit on a car. The over the top looks and lack of creature comforts will turn a lot of people away from this car and that's ok. Ford offers the Mustang in many flavors so choose one you like.
Old 5/19/11, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Big Vito
What was it that was the deal breaker?
Cosmetics, having to pay MSRP for the Boss, and available x-plan on the GT500. When comparing both, the GT500 with the SVTPP and Recaros is a better fit for my taste.
Old 5/19/11, 06:49 AM
GT Member

Another perspective:

Nah, my '06 Evo IX RS at $26K (between invoice and MSRP) was better! Plus it had 4 doors and a huge trunk - I fit all of my track gear, including race wheels/tires, in there.

5 years of track duty - an NO issues, other than some driver errors.

Quick Reply: Out of the hunt