Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/12, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cooling is one reason I bought a 2013.I will be able to give everyone some track data in a few weeks.
Old 6/11/12, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Apollo
Have you had a chance to run your GT500 hard on the track for an extended time? I am curious how it does.

With the Cooltech oil cooler, TR hood, and less restrictive grill, I do not even come close to getting the car hot now, even on 45 minute sessions running very hard. I have run on 100+ days at Spring Mountain and my peak oil temp is right at 230.
What are your coolant temps? I'm not sure how you can't be coming close to running the car hot when I'm running all the same components, my oil is in the 230s but my coolant is pushing 250+ with the 302S grille in and 240 with it out in ambients of 91*. Maybe I'm just pushing the car too hard, but the recovery is there with airflow so I still contend there's not enough airflow getting to the radiator packed in behind the oil cooler and A/C condenser. My condenser is so blocked it almost looks like one of those semis in the middle of winter with cardboard across it's grille. Oh and I also have the 302S radiator.

Justin - I'm anxious to hear your results with the 2013 GT500 fan shroud. There is obviously an airflow issue here.

Ron - I can't see much improvement with the 2013 Boss grille/hood changes but I hope there is. The 2013 grille is no more open than the 2012 302S grille and the hood has less ventilation than the Tiger hood.
Old 6/12/12, 07:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Can't you run the air to oil cooler like an intercooler and place it at the lower air duct or is it to long to fit in between the brake cooling ducts?

By doing that, it would free up some room at the radiator and allow more air flow to the radiator
Old 6/12/12, 08:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Can't you run the air to oil cooler like an intercooler and place it at the lower air duct or is it to long to fit in between the brake cooling ducts?

By doing that, it would free up some room at the radiator and allow more air flow to the radiator
Both the condenser and radiator fully extend through those two zones. I'm afraid you would just move the blockage from one spot to the other. A smaller A/C condenser would definitely help though to free up airflow to at least half the radiator.
Old 6/12/12, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody try the 12 QT oil pan? With more oil to heat, it shouldn't get as hot down the straights.
Old 6/12/12, 07:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
What are your coolant temps? I'm not sure how you can't be coming close to running the car hot when I'm running all the same components, my oil is in the 230s but my coolant is pushing 250+ with the 302S grille in and 240 with it out in ambients of 91*. Maybe I'm just pushing the car too hard, but the recovery is there with airflow so I still contend there's not enough airflow getting to the radiator packed in behind the oil cooler and A/C condenser. My condenser is so blocked it almost looks like one of those semis in the middle of winter with cardboard across it's grille. Oh and I also have the 302S radiator.

Justin - I'm anxious to hear your results with the 2013 GT500 fan shroud. There is obviously an airflow issue here.

Ron - I can't see much improvement with the 2013 Boss grille/hood changes but I hope there is. The 2013 grille is no more open than the 2012 302S grille and the hood has less ventilation than the Tiger hood.
I don't know, I am running the car flat out for long sessions. Maybe there is a difference in the way we have them mounted. My coolant temps are right at 240, I have not seen a 250 plus temp yet and. My real problem now is venting the axle as I am spewing diff fluid. I have turkey basters on the way and will probably put longer vent tubes also. It may also have to do with my grill, I do have a different grill and I will find out which it is. Kendall had seen restriction with the 302s grill so I went with a stock ford mustang grill and cut out any extra restrictions I saw. If I were you, I would try a session without the grill and see if the problem goes away. I bet it will. As a reference, I ran a similar session with my 2012 Z06 and oil temps went over 280.
I will be running with a group of Bosses this weekend and temps will be between 96 and 100. I will have Kendall track data for the cars.
Old 6/12/12, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

Another quick question, Are you running your cooler in series with the stock, or as a separate unit?
Old 6/12/12, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Another quick question, Are you running your cooler in series with the stock, or as a separate unit?
In series. The issue is airflow related though since I can get a 15 degree bump still just by pulling the 302S grille. My a/c condenser is probably 75% blocked due to debris hitting it and bending the fins. I am willing to bet if that comes out there will be no cooling issues whatsoever. I just have to decide if I'm willing to part with it. Ok, I decided...it needs to go.

I have a baster on the diff and the axle and have no issues puking fluid any more. This is also a good solution and not very expensive.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...er-is-no-more/
Old 6/12/12, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Gary, from your description it sounds as if the "poor" condition of your AC condensor fins may be limiting airflow through the condensor and subsequently through the radiator??? Just trying to determine why your experience and Apollo's experience are so different. I think airflow may be the bigest factor. However, we cannot ignore that there's a pretty significant BTU (and oil) capacity difference between the Ford Racing cooler and the Cool Tech oil cooler. (See table below.) This can also be partly responsible for the differences we are seeing.

Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling-comparison.jpg
Old 6/12/12, 08:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Gary, from your description it sounds as if the "poor" condition of your AC condensor fins may be limiting airflow through the condensor and subsequently through the radiator???
Correct. My oil temps are peaking in the 230s and the highest I've seen is 240 and that was on a 100 degree day at 2000 ft elevation. It's water that's not cooling as it should. The A/C condenser is almost as big as the radiator and the only gap is in the upper most portion of the grille opening. The lower portion of my condenser is almost 80% "smashed" in and can't be allowing decent airflow to the radiator. Frankly I'm surprised we need that big of a condener but I really don't know what is required there. I know they pulled them off the MMP Track Attack cars.
Old 6/12/12, 09:00 PM
V6 Member

My a/c condenser is probably 75% blocked due to debris hitting it and bending the fins. I am willing to bet if that comes out there will be no cooling issues whatsoever. I just have to decide if I'm willing to part with it. Ok, I decided...it needs to go.

I have a baster on the diff and the axle and have no issues puking fluid any more. This is also a good solution and not very expensive.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...er-is-no-more/
I looked at my fins and they are still in pretty good shape, a little banged up but still ok. I guess I'm a little spoiled now that I can run at SM I am not getting hit with as much crap from running in traffic at other track events.

Thanks for the pics and link.
Old 6/12/12, 09:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I looked at my fins and they are still in pretty good shape, a little banged up but still ok. I guess I'm a little spoiled now that I can run at SM I am not getting hit with as much crap from running in traffic at other track events.

Thanks for the pics and link.
No problem. Yea we had 20 to 30 cars in each session on a 4 mile track but with a wide range of speeds so constantly catching traffic and taking a beating. You think my condenser's in rough shape, my windshield is completely sandblasted where there's almost more white than clear. At least windshields are relatively cheap.
Old 6/12/12, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

No problem. Yea we had 20 to 30 cars in each session on a 4 mile track but with a wide range of speeds so constantly catching traffic and taking a beating. You think my condenser's in rough shape, my windshield is completely sandblasted where there's almost more white than clear. At least windshields are relatively cheap.
Exactly, my buddy came back from a track day at buttonwillow where some of the "track stars" were cutting off apexes and he ended up with two to three stars in his windshield. Ah well, such is the price of fun.
Old 6/13/12, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly, my buddy came back from a track day at buttonwillow where some of the "track stars" were cutting off apexes and he ended up with two to three stars in his windshield. Ah well, such is the price of fun.
I've replaced my windshield once this year, already got 4-5 rock chips in the "new" one. Thank god for the clearbra on the front end.
Old 6/13/12, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Gary, we've replaced the condensor (and radiator) on a customer's LS due to an off-track excursion and I believe that the condensor was shockingly inexpensive at $139. Also, it was very easy to replace and the system was straightforward to evac and recharge. When (if!) you get a break in your work/play schedule you might think about swapping in a new one and see if that does the trick for you.
Old 6/13/12, 06:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Gary, we've replaced the condensor (and radiator) on a customer's LS due to an off-track excursion and I believe that the condensor was shockingly inexpensive at $139. Also, it was very easy to replace and the system was straightforward to evac and recharge. When (if!) you get a break in your work/play schedule you might think about swapping in a new one and see if that does the trick for you.
I was wondering about that. For only $139 it's worth trying. Thanks I'll look into it. It doesn't explain the early overheating problems (when it was in virgin condition) that were alleviated by removing the grille, but that was before the larger radiator, 302S grille, air-to-oil cooler and Tiger hood.

Here's what my condenser looks like now:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by cloud9; 6/13/12 at 08:13 PM.