Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/11, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of things to throw in here guys.....

First, the Roush grill won't work. I have one sitting here and not only doesn't it fit, modifying it TO fit, doesn't look easy. The Roush grill is a no-go.

Many people keep saying/thinking that this is an issue of getting heat out of the engine bay. Not really. The heat in the engine bay isn't really the culprit (directly) for the overheating. The issue is airflow through the radiator. To maximize airflow through the radiator you need two things:

1) You need to maximize the area in which the car can "ingest" the air. Obstructions in front of the radiator need to be removed allowing the maximum flow of air to present itself to the radiator.

2) After the air has been ingested by the radiator - you need to expedite it's path out and away from the car.... enabling "new air" to flow through the radiator. In OEM trim, the air flows through the radiator and then into the engine compartment and then must follow some odd-ball, indirect path to find the bottom of the car and the low pressure zone under the car before finally exiting. Presenting more frontal area to the radiator only compounds the problem of trying to get rid of it.

Enough credit is not given to the Tiger Racing Hood for engine cooling. It has been mentioned here that the Tiger hood first and foremost improves downforce. Correct... but how is that happening? The reason is that the air that flows through the radiator is literally sucked out and over the hood and then the top of the car. This is a fast-path for air that noramlly finds it's way under the car to the low pressure area - and disturbs this low pressure area.

To the OP. I feel your pain, trust me. I guess you really have to ask yourself that in any given year, how many times are you going to track the car in 90+ degree weather. For each of these times, you need to take an additional 5-minutes to remove the grill and 1-minute to put it back at the end of the day. Should you have to do this on a $45K advertised track car? No. But, at the end of the day this really is not a big deal.
Old 11/17/11, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nota4re
First, the Roush grill won't work. I have one sitting here and not only doesn't it fit, modifying it TO fit, doesn't look easy. The Roush grill is a no-go.
Paging Drew! Didn't 06GT put a GT surround in with the Roush grille inside it?? The Roush grille won't go directly into the Boss as it's designed to go into the GT. However, it's my understanding that the GT grille surround attaches directly into the openings on the Boss.
Old 11/17/11, 07:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

??? You know you need a GT surround right? There are other bar grilles besides the Roush if you don't like that one. Drew has the American Muscle version.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 11/17/11 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11/17/11, 07:49 PM

Enough credit is not given to the Tiger Racing Hood for engine cooling. It has been mentioned here that the Tiger hood first and foremost improves downforce. Correct... but how is that happening? The reason is that the air that flows through the radiator is literally sucked out and over the hood and then the top of the car. This is a fast-path for air that noramlly finds it's way under the car to the low pressure area - and disturbs this low pressure area.
I too was a little shocked whenever someone downplayed the cooling effects of the Tiger Racing Hood. Every time I drive my car right now, I'm shocked at how hot the fenders get while the top surface of the hood remains cool due to the insulation. I'm curious to see how hot the Tiger Racing hood gets once I've finished installing it since there isn't any insulation. The guys at Tiger Racing stated that you don't need any sort of insulation since the air flow through the louvers is "incredible".
Old 11/17/11, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

??? You know you need a GT surround right? There are other bar grilles besides the Roush if you don't like that one. Drew has the American Muscle version.
DOH!!!
Old 11/17/11, 08:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's good to know. It certainly seems intuitive that would be the case, it's just what was printed was that it was done for downforce not cooling. If it also provides excellent cooling then a double benefit.

My only hesitation then at this point is the potential "water issues" for a daily driven track car. Will significant rain running into the engine bay, or water from a typical gas station car wash cause problems either for the painted hood or the engine? It's not that I normally drive the Boss on rainy days, but I also won't leave my Mustangs in the garage just because there's a chance of rain. In this part of the country rain's possible at least half the days during spring/summer. I prefer not to spend the time hand washing my cars since with our weather you're washing them a couple times a week to keep them clean.
Old 11/17/11, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got the white one (on top) in today. It will work out of the box. Just need to have it painted....

Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling-grill.jpg
Old 11/17/11, 08:07 PM

I just got the white one (on top) in today. It will work out of the box. Just need to have it painted....
Which grill is that one?
Old 11/17/11, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Cobra Jet from Ford Racing
Old 11/17/11, 09:53 PM
V6 Member

Attachment 96396
Very interesting. That might actually look nice. I for one don't need a pony logo or the faux light slots.

Maybe it's just the picture, but the shape looks slightly different than the BOSS grill. Regardless, if you're saying it works that's good enough for me. Do you have a link to the part?

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but I'm thinking the white on black might actually look good in a Kona Blue/White color scheme... or does the white need paint to look presentable?
Old 11/17/11, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by servitium
Can't tell for sure from the pic, but I'm thinking the white on black might actually look good in a Kona Blue/White color scheme... or does the white need paint to look presentable?
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling-img_6220.jpg  
Old 11/17/11, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been saying this for awhile.....

Open up the grill (302s grill will be fine), tiger racing hood, air to oil cooler, and you will be good to go. If you want to get crazy add the s radiator and maybe some fans.....

I for one see extreme ambient temps at the track. I live in the se....
Old 11/17/11, 10:25 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely interested in that. Please post pics and how hard the install is.
Old 11/17/11, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Like this?
I think that looks sharp. It could have had that configuration stock. I'm now officially sold on the white grill-surround for the KB scheme.

Did you take that pic Rick? If so, what were your impressions seeing it in person?

Last edited by servitium; 11/17/11 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11/17/11, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by servitium
I think that looks sharp. It could have had that configuration stock. I'm now officially sold on the white grill-surround for the KB scheme.

Did you take that pic Rick? If so, what were your impressions seeing it in person?
That was the car I drove at Track Attack. They had a professional photographer taking photos and they give you a Boss Track Attack flash drive with all the photos on it. I liked the white surround but doubt I'll do it. I'd do the white rear spoiler first.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 11/17/11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11/18/11, 05:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I guess you really have to ask yourself that in any given year, how many times are you going to track the car in 90+ degree weather. For each of these times, you need to take an additional 5-minutes to remove the grill and 1-minute to put it back at the end of the day. Should you have to do this on a $45K advertised track car? No. But, at the end of the day this really is not a big deal.
Kendall I agree with this premise. However on my last track day in October it was 79* ambient and I was hitting 251* CHT and popped a rad cap while running the 302S grille and radiator. I pulled the grille and dropped back into the 230-235 range........ I was at approximately 1600 ft above sea level too. You are absolutely correct that it's an airflow issue. I'm not even sure the ambient temps affect it as much as we might think. There just needs to be more air flowing through the radiator as has been proven by completely removing the stock grille.

This is a great thread and good suggestions. I think my next move will be a bar/billet grille with GT surround for track days. If that doesn't cut it on the 90+ days I will probably opt for the Tiger hood.

Last edited by cloud9; 11/18/11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11/18/11, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Kendall I agree with this premise. However on my last track day in October it was 79* ambient and I was hitting 251* CHT and popped a rad cap while running the 302S grille and radiator. I pulled the grille and dropped back into the 230-235 range........

This is a great thread and good suggestions. I think my next move will be a bar/billet grille with GT surround for track days. If that doesn't cut it on the 90+ days I will probably opt for the Tiger hood.
Gary, Come to the COOL side!

Only 2 track days with my Boss. One at 90, one above 85. No issues. I know you push your Boss harder than me,
but as I get better I will do something with the grill, if it becomes a problem.
Old 11/18/11, 09:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another simple solution for people that do not want to change hoods at the moment is to pull the weather stripping at the back of the hood. I pulled mine when I installed the new gillie and reduced temps 15-20 degrees. Outside temps were cooler then some of my other runs but I did see a difference. I will not know for sure until next summer when the heat returns but pulling the weather strip takes a couple of minutes and does provide some air flow, enough to make a difference? not sure yet.
Old 11/18/11, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Like this?
Do the Miller Boss 302s have the overheating problem with the 302s grill?

Dave
Old 11/18/11, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fiddlefadel
Do the Miller Boss 302s have the overheating problem with the 302s grill?

Dave
not that we know of, there are no temp gauges in the Boss except the LS model. It was hot when I was there and no problems. I have been told they also have the oil cooler remounted.

Quick Reply: Open question / comment to FORD / 2012 Laguna Seca / Boss 302 Cooling