Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Noisy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/12, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy Tires

Has anyone noticed their stock tires making road noise? After 5k miles I have noticed a roar from the rear tires. I have read others from tire rack are saying the same.
Old 1/9/12, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't hear anything over open side pipes.
Old 1/10/12, 07:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by badasbullitt
Has anyone noticed their stock tires making road noise? After 5k miles I have noticed a roar from the rear tires. I have read others from tire rack are saying the same.
Hello badasbullitt,

I recommend you get your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 1/10/12, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

yes, the tires are loud and the torsen whines too. i wore out the stockers and put some bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position tires on the car and realized just how loud the stock tires were.
Old 1/10/12, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
yes, the tires are loud and the torsen whines too. i wore out the stockers and put some bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position tires on the car and realized just how loud the stock tires were.
Shane,

That is interesting because I took my car in to Ford to make sure it was the tires and not the rear end making the noise. It turns out the tires were the culprit.

I was looking online at Tire Rack today with my service advisor regarding tires and he said he could get the OEM tires on the rear at $482ea. He has an 2011 5.0 GT and wanted to possibly go with a 17" tires all around due cost and availability for everyday driving. That was when we noticed the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions
for $275 at closeout. How do you like the handling and ride? I am serious about purchasing especially for the price. The reviews are excellent.

Last edited by badasbullitt; 1/10/12 at 05:13 PM.
Old 1/11/12, 02:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
Shane,

That is interesting because I took my car in to Ford to make sure it was the tires and not the rear end making the noise. It turns out the tires were the culprit.

I was looking online at Tire Rack today with my service advisor regarding tires and he said he could get the OEM tires on the rear at $482ea. He has an 2011 5.0 GT and wanted to possibly go with a 17" tires all around due cost and availability for everyday driving. That was when we noticed the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions
for $275 at closeout. How do you like the handling and ride? I am serious about purchasing especially for the price. The reviews are excellent.
there are a bunch of different potenza pole position tires, i have the s-04 pole position which are the newest. i am getting on the track this weekend and will know more then, so far they have been very nice in about 300 miles of street driving. very responsive and much better turn-in than the pirelli not to mention quieter. if they are on closeout, likely they are the older re050 something or other. that is the tire i believe was oem on some impreza cars. the best price i found on the s-04 at last month when i bought them was $328 each. if they are on sale that much already it sucks to have bought last month.

i also seriously thought about the continental extremecontact dw. ultimately i talked to a bridgestone engineer and the s-04 is their recommended track tire behind the re-11 which doesn't come in the right front sizes. the engineer did mention that going to a lower profile and wider front tire to get teh re-11 on a 19-inch wheel, which is what you would have to do, will change the handling of the car. having not seen your car i cant say for sure what sort of soudn it is, but i think loud is just what those tires do and a new pair of oems would give you the same issue.
Old 1/11/12, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

My thoughts exactly. I will probably not choose the OEMs again at least not for daily use. I would like to go with a wheel and tire pkg for daily use that would accommodate handling at a cheaper and more reasonable cost. There's just aren't enough tires choices at this time.
Old 1/11/12, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
yes, the tires are loud and the torsen whines too.
This. At 5200 miles the tires are getting pretty loud. Louder than the exhaust with 3/4" disks at cruse speeds.
Old 1/12/12, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

It would be nice to know if anyone has purchased a winter wheel/tire combo. I am very interested in doing so.
Old 1/20/12, 12:14 AM
GT Member

if you take the time you will find that you can find 18" wheels and tires that will fit and live a long time..

beers