Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Wing

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/11, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Wing

Installed the new spolier yesterday, still have a lot of paint issues to work out. Thinking of doing all flat on top and leaving the side the way it is. One real set back with this spoiler, it had screws not studs mounted in the spoiler. That made it very hard to attach, then one fell into the trunk which caused all kind of problems, any way something to think about if you order one.
Attached Thumbnails New Wing-cimg1069.jpg   New Wing-cimg1070.jpg   New Wing-cimg1071.jpg   New Wing-cimg1077.jpg  
Old 4/24/11, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great Scott. Is that also the CS a.k.a. LS spoiler without the red accents? I saw one on a black CS at the dealer this weekend and it looks like yours. I love how the YB looks gold in that last pic.
Old 4/24/11, 06:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Looks great Scott. Is that also the CS a.k.a. LS spoiler without the red accents? I saw one on a black CS at the dealer this weekend and it looks like yours. I love how the YB looks gold in that last pic.
Yea, me too. It was early morning and the sun just broke out from behind a cloud, same side as the pic.

The wing is the CS/LS style yes but after market. I still need to work on it and will have to go get some studs for it, it was a pain to mount.
Old 4/24/11, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's coming together nicely, Scott!
Old 4/24/11, 06:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks great!! Sorry for the issues. Totally worth it, though.
Old 4/24/11, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

Looks GooooD.
Old 4/24/11, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

I like it....a lot. Next is shaker hood scoop! I guess it wouldn't be too functional.
Old 4/24/11, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Nice
Old 4/24/11, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Nice
Nice +111111111
I finally got to see and sit in a Boss today. At the NY auto show. After my wife wiped my drooling chin, I sat in it and fell in love all over again!! Love the recaro's. I think I'll change the spoiler too. Can't wait. I think it's even worse now that I sat in it!!
Old 4/25/11, 09:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Looks good Scott. Can you explain what you mean by screws not studs? My impression was you screw eight bolts into the four spoiler pedestals from inside the trunk lid. So when you say studs I'm not sure what you mean. Also did you drill four additional holes in the trunk lid for the spoiler? You're using the stock trunk lid right?
Old 4/25/11, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Scott, it looks good! Did you have to do a drilling or did it bolt right up?

Mike
Old 4/25/11, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I was looking at switching the stock spoiler also. How was the removal process for the stock one?
Old 4/25/11, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Looks good Scott. Can you explain what you mean by screws not studs? My impression was you screw eight bolts into the four spoiler pedestals from inside the trunk lid. So when you say studs I'm not sure what you mean. Also did you drill four additional holes in the trunk lid for the spoiler? You're using the stock trunk lid right?
Here is a pic of the studs screwed into the old spoiler. The new one came with screws, I say screws since they have a screw head but are like bolts. So you need to hold the spoiler up to holes and try to thread them in, if it had studs mounted in the spoiler like the pic you would just line it up and thread a nut on, much easier.

I ended up dropping some screws into the space between the deck lid top and inner bracing. This led to all kinds of problems, I tried to fish it out with a magnet but that got stuck. At that point I removed the deck lid and shook them out but one stuck to the magnet. I was going to leave it for now but then I saw a bulge in the trunk from where the magnet was stuck.

At that point I needed to cut a big hole in the inner bracing to get it out. I cut that it in a spot under the cover and pulled it out but the bolt fell off the magnet and inside again. There was a slight bulge in the lid and I pressed down on it with my fingers, unfortunately it mush have been right where the lost bolt was and I made it worse.

Really sucks but I plan to paint the lid black so they will just need to fix that first.

Originally Posted by Boss2X
Scott, it looks good! Did you have to do a drilling or did it bolt right up?

Mike
So far I drilled two holes for the inside mounts. The spoiler lined up but was about 1/8 off on the right side. The left side original hole is oval to allow for spacing, I just had to widen out the right hole. I did not drill the outer two holes because it is easy enough to drill the top hole but you need to make a bigger hole on the inner brace and my hole saw did not make a nice cut. The inside holes came out a mess since it is right at a curve in the bracing. I figure I will let the body shop do the outer holes.

Anyway yes the four rear holes do line up minus the 1/8 inch I had to deal with because the spoiler was not correct. You need to drill out the four forward holes.
Attached Thumbnails New Wing-cimg1079.jpg  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/25/11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great can you take some full side pics and maybe a from 3/4 shot.
Old 4/25/11, 03:57 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Scott,

Question on your louvers. In the first picture, it seems like the louvers end about an inch or two before the backlight's glass line along the trunk, while in the other three, they appear to go down to the bottom of the backlight's glass line. It this an optical illusion or do they really leave that much space at the bottom of the backlight?
Old 4/25/11, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by c0achmke
Looks great can you take some full side pics and maybe a from 3/4 shot.
Sure, give me a day or two.

Mike, don't forget the prop rod if you do this Oh wait you don't need it for the 69

Here are some shots from inside. The four upper holes are from the original spolier, you need to make four more below them. You can see the hole I had to open circled in black, did not come out well. The other shots show them with the caps in place, as I said I did just the two inner holes.

The pic with just the circle would show where to drill and cut the two outside holes.

The last pic shows the big hole I had to open on the bottom left to remove the magnet.
Attached Thumbnails New Wing-cimg1083.jpg   New Wing-cimg1082.jpg   New Wing-cimg1081.jpg  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/25/11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 4/25/11, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Looks great Scott! Sorry about the minor issues but the appearance is fantastic! I have the GT500 wing getting ready to go on to my Boss next week, I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 4/25/11, 09:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Looks great Scott! Sorry about the minor issues but the appearance is fantastic! I have the GT500 wing getting ready to go on to my Boss next week, I'll post pics when I'm done.
Did you order the CF one? If not are you going with black ?
Old 4/25/11, 09:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Red face

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
That should look nice also, I just like the pedestal type for some reason, maybe because it reminds me more of the original.

Originally Posted by DFV
Scott,

Question on your louvers. In the first picture, it seems like the louvers end about an inch or two before the backlight's glass line along the trunk, while in the other three, they appear to go down to the bottom of the backlight's glass line. It this an optical illusion or do they really leave that much space at the bottom of the backlight?
Sorry did not see this before. It does end up from the bottom of the window. At first I did not understand why but the way the trunk opens you need that for clearance.
Old 4/26/11, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Did you order the CF one? If not are you going with black ?
Rick - I wound up ordering the GT500 wing from Ford. I didn't specify but managed to get the GT500 track pack wing with the Gurney Flap which is a bonus given it's road racing roots. I decided to go Kona Blue, haven't gotten it back from the painter yet but dying to see how it looks on the car.

Quick Reply: New Wing