2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Boss Tests and Reviews - Post 'em here

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/11, 04:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Can I utter explicatives now?

Reviews are awesome. Kinda wish I had ordered one instead of my GT. I hope you guys don't mind me heavily raiding your FRPP spare boss parts bin.
That makes two of us!
Old 2/23/11, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
TracKey is $302. Awesome.
Perfect

I gotta read all these reviews when I get home later!
Old 2/23/11, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT

Perfect

I've been reading them all day and still can't get enough! Sh$& eating grin!
Old 2/23/11, 04:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I've been reading them all day and still can't get enough! Sh$& eating grin!
+1.

There's been some inconsistencies from the several reviews but this comment from Edmonds InsideLine clears it up:

" The base cars we drove on the track, however, had the optional Torsen differential, Recaro buckets and brake cooling ducts from Ford Racing, so discerning a difference between the two on a slow track like Laguna meant driving them both very, very hard. Do so and the differences are subtle, but they matter."

From the photo I've seen all the Boss cars that were there at Laguna Seca have the Recaro/Torsen option. So comments about the brake fade and overheating should be identical between the Boss and LS outside of the tires.
Old 2/23/11, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
+1.

There's been some inconsistencies from the several reviews but this comment from Edmonds InsideLine clears it up:

" The base cars we drove on the track, however, had the optional Torsen differential, Recaro buckets and brake cooling ducts from Ford Racing, so discerning a difference between the two on a slow track like Laguna meant driving them both very, very hard. Do so and the differences are subtle, but they matter."

From the photo I've seen all the Boss cars that were there at Laguna Seca have the Recaro/Torsen option. So comments about the brake fade and overheating should be identical between the Boss and LS outside of the tires.
agreed...looks like a 14" brake upgrade in my future
Old 2/23/11, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy

+1

I'll make use of my stock brakes and upgrade as soon as I need brakes. Which will be soon since I plan on tracking it after break-in!
Old 2/23/11, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
The Brembos are 14". They just need a pad swap for track use.

Don't bother doing anything w/ the rears other than pads either.

Street cars are always a compromise on factory brake pads between noise, rotor wear, and stopping power and maximum operating temp (MOT). The factory likes to trade stopping power and MOT for NVH and rotor wear. For most people, this is fine. Let the dedicated track rats spend the extra cash on pads and rotor replacements. No big deal, IMO.
Old 2/23/11, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1. Also not many of us are going to do sub 1:45's at Seca or keep the throttle buried over the crest by turn 1.
Old 2/23/11, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/feat...eca-20727.html
Old 2/23/11, 06:52 PM

I've beaten the hell out of the brembo GT pads (think red/white dusting and glazing), and while the pedal did get soft, they still gave me repeatable good stops on track.
I don't think you are braking hard enough

We should meet up later this year when I pick up the car and we can play Follow The Leader at NASA or ProAutoSports out here...

Last edited by 06GT; 2/23/11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2/23/11, 06:53 PM
Cobra R Member

doubt I will do a sub 1:50
Old 2/23/11, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you are braking hard enough

We should meet up later this year when I pick up the car and we can play Follow The Leader at NASA or ProAutoSports out here...
Sounds good, I've yet to make it out to a ProAutoSports event myself
Old 2/23/11, 07:30 PM

Sounds good, I've yet to make it out to a ProAutoSports event myself
I haven't been on-track since November, but I usually go out to watch my pals run their feature races on Sundays. Probably won't be back on-track here in AZ until I pick up the Boss later this year.

ProAutoSports is a good group of people. Lots of guys double-duty NASA and PASA if they have dedicated race cars.
Old 2/24/11, 07:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
Updated spec sheets are now available on the Ford Boss media site.

Changes of note:
- Oil capacity now 8.5L (up from 8.0L)
- Front caliper pistons now 40/44mm (vs 43/43mm). If this is an actual engineering change then that's great. More even pad wear is now possible. This will mean that the calipers are now different L/R.
I think the "10,000 mile service interval" is kind of cute. I doubt I will follow that as I change the oil every 3,000 in any car.

Another change is the recommended fuel. It went from 92 to 87 and "premium fuel recommended" I have been planning to use pure gas instead of E10 since there are four stations near me that sell pure gas. Only problem it is 90 octane but I feel that is still better than E10.
Old 2/24/11, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I think the "10,000 mile service interval" is kind of cute. I doubt I will follow that as I change the oil every 3,000 in any car.

Another change is the recommended fuel. It went from 92 to 87 and "premium fuel recommended" I have been planning to use pure gas instead of E10 since there are four stations near me that sell pure gas. Only problem it is 90 octane but I feel that is still better than E10.
We only have crappy 91 octane for premium here in Cali. so that's what I will run in my Boss.
Old 2/24/11, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Review: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and Boss 302 “Laguna Seca”
By Jack Baruth on February 23, 2011
"The Truth About Cars"

So...So... review....actually kind of lame........

At dinner later that evening, a fellow journalist whom I deeply respect expresses his complete lack of enthusiasm for the car. “It’s fast on the track, but it’s a 3600-pound Mustang that costs a lot of money.” I understand his concern. There’s nothing socially relevant about this car. There’s nothing particularly shocking about the idea of another fast ponycar. It doesn’t do anything for the economy, the industry, or the climate."
WTF now I'm supposed to feel guilty about buying this car?

The Climate?

So I’m supposed to run out and by an Electric Car or a Hybrid?

What is he smoking?

Where does the electricity come from the Tooth Fairy?

It all comes from fossil fuels you dumb A$$!
Old 2/24/11, 07:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Brembos are 14". They just need a pad swap for track use.

Don't bother doing anything w/ the rears other than pads either.

Street cars are always a compromise on factory brake pads between noise, rotor wear, and stopping power and maximum operating temp (MOT). The factory likes to trade stopping power and MOT for NVH and rotor wear. For most people, this is fine. Let the dedicated track rats spend the extra cash on pads and rotor replacements. No big deal, IMO.
Agreed. They are also running stock DOT 3 fluid so no surprise they are getting fade on track. Swap for DOT 4 like Brembo LCF 600 or equivalent, upgrade to a track pad and you'll be fine. I have the same brakes on my GT500 and they stop the car at a 400lb higher curb weight.
Old 2/24/11, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kaiserserser
From the leflanenews article

"If you can come up with an extra $302 for the “track key,” do it. "

Sounds like we know an official track key price!
Originally Posted by Overboost
TracKey is $302. Awesome.
Perfect

So I guess I'm the only one thats **** that the "Red track key that comes with ever Boss" is usless untill you come up with another $302.

What's next, you can't go to the the Track Attack unless you buy the Track Key programming?
Old 2/24/11, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MJockey
So I guess I'm the only one thats **** that the "Red track key that comes with ever Boss" is usless untill you come up with another $302.

What's next, you can't go to the the Track Attack unless you buy the Track Key programming?
What? The red track key is an accessory. Not something you just get with the car. It's like a bonus. Just as people have used programmers to tune their cars. This is the same thing, you buy the key and you get the car tuned for the key. It's pretty simple really.

And the price, $302, very appropriate. Funny even.
Old 2/24/11, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey

That is in line with most of the after-market tuners at $300 for the tune only. I wish it came with a handheld programmer to allow for gear or tire changes or to look up and clear DTCs. If they included it they would have just charged $300 more at MSRP for the vehicle. The reason it's only available through FRPP is almost certainly to avoid issues with federal DOT or EPA requirements....most likely MPG to meet CAFE standards.

Quick Reply: New Boss Tests and Reviews - Post 'em here