2012-2013 BOSS 302

Need assistance/recommendations on upgrading Boss for 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/11, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need assistance/recommendations on upgrading Boss for 1/4

Hi all I'm new to this hobby. I have a Boss. The only thing I have done to it is taken out the discs. I've been taking it to the track and doing 1/4 mile runs. My most recent time was a 12.6. (not bad for a newbie ;-)) I want to make some mods but also want to be careful in not messing up my car. Here is list of what I thought I'd do ( please remember I'm new so some of this might be kind of retarded) I'm looking for recommendations etc...

Carbon fiber hood ( is it worth it for weight reduction and how much would it reduce?)

Carbon fiber rims ( can you even get those for a Car, if so how much will it reduce?)

Underpully -- not sure if anyone has any recommendations here or if you can even safely make that mod to the Boss. ( e. .g reduce the size of the gear to make more HP sacrificing AC and alt right? )

CAI what's the best brand and what are the gains before the tune ( I'm not sure here about getting a tune as like everyone else -- waiting on track key. How would track key affect CAI etc...?)

I'm looking for cost, recommendations, gotcha's etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 302-774KB
Old 9/17/11, 06:10 PM

Best thing you can do is get some sticky tires. I borrowed some Mickey Thompson drag radials from a friend they worked great. Ended up with a 11.79@116 out of it. Tires were on a 17" wheel and were 28" tall. This also helped keep the car coming close to the rev limiter in 4th at the end of the 1/4.

Also with tires you will need upper and lower control arms to keep wheel hop in check when you launch it at 5,000 rpms. I am running BMR upper and lower and they have worked well. Also to consider is a one piece aluminum drive shaft it drops some rotational weight and is stronger. I am running one from the driveshaft shop.

And the Track Key will not work with any cold air intake that requires a tune.

And if you have trouble with shifting at WOT look into a new shifter. MGW has a nice one they just came out with. I am currently on the waiting list for it.
Old 9/17/11, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most cold air kits require a tune to make them work...IF TracKey interests you at all you need to hold off on a CAI cause the tune required won't go with TracKey.
Carbon Fiber Hoods are reaaly cool and a decent weight savings..the 302S hood helps with cooling also. Not sure of your financial means but there ARE expensive so the weight savings MIGHT not be worth the cost to you. There are a LOT of wheels that will result in less weight.. use your search function and check out the MANY threads on this subject. I don't know if anymody make CF wheels or not..I DO KNOW they would be a MAJOR EXPENSE if you find them. There are a BUNCH of ways to prep the car for 1/4 mile that are a LOT CHEAPER!! You can remove the rear sway bar or use a relocator kit and run some 275/60/15 Hoosier Drag Radials on some light weight drag wheels and gain a BUNCH! These cars have been in the high 11's just by that swap alone!
Old 9/17/11, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Good post.I just got back from the track (my first outing with the boss at the track).I ran 12.74 at 114 with a best 60 ft of 2.047.....
I just cant seem to find the secret for launching the car descent on street tires...And what rpm are you guys shifting at?
Old 9/17/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NCETRY
Best thing you can do is get some sticky tires. I borrowed some Mickey Thompson drag radials from a friend they worked great. Ended up with a 11.79@116 out of it. Tires were on a 17" wheel and were 28" tall. This also helped keep the car coming close to the rev limiter in 4th at the end of the 1/4.

Also with tires you will need upper and lower control arms to keep wheel hop in check when you launch it at 5,000 rpms. I am running BMR upper and lower and they have worked well. Also to consider is a one piece aluminum drive shaft it drops some rotational weight and is stronger. I am running one from the driveshaft shop.

And the Track Key will not work with any cold air intake that requires a tune.

And if you have trouble with shifting at WOT look into a new shifter. MGW has a nice one they just came out with. I am currently on the waiting list for it.
You'll love the MGW
Old 9/17/11, 10:36 PM

Wow this is all good info thanks guys. I did have the wheel hop -- got to remedy that for sure. It was tricky for me at the end, as you said keeping it in 4th... And not going to 5th. I did however...have some issues getting into 3rd but that could be me used to my 07 GT shift pattern. With all the rant about the tranny tho-- I wonder.....I was able to run a 12.6 flat prob going to need to to what you all have suggested if I want to get better. Again thank you!
Old 9/17/11, 11:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mebent
Wow this is all good info thanks guys. I did have the wheel hop -- got to remedy that for sure. It was tricky for me at the end, as you said keeping it in 4th... And not going to 5th. I did however...have some issues getting into 3rd but that could be me used to my 07 GT shift pattern. With all the rant about the tranny tho-- I wonder.....I was able to run a 12.6 flat prob going to need to to what you all have suggested if I want to get better. Again thank you!
Some have issues, most don't.
Old 9/18/11, 12:21 AM
Bullitt Member

It's a track car; not a strip car!
Old 9/18/11, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
It's a track car; not a strip car!

The best part of this awesome car is... It's great at everything from track to the strip so it appeals to almost everyone!! I can't wait to take mine to Maple Grove and she what she will run...Fred at Evo said on street tires I should run a low 11 and trap in the 140's, On DR's it should be a mid 10 and upper 140's

To the op have fun and I would agree that Drag radial are probably your best investment and practice being the other
Old 9/18/11, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
The best part of this awesome car is... It's great at everything from track to the strip so it appeals to almost everyone!! I can't wait to take mine to Maple Grove and she what she will run...Fred at Evo said on street tires I should run a low 11 and trap in the 140's, On DR's it should be a mid 10 and upper 140's

To the op have fun and I would agree that Drag radial are probably your best investment and practice being the other
If it traps in the upper 140's it's a 9 sec car with driver mod,