Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/11, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright crackers, back on topic. The word is fully out now about Kona Blue and I just heard the first "Well, I don't know about MSRP, because Kona Blue is the new hot color, now that it has been discontinued. I got guys lining up..."

I'll give an Internet cookie to the guy who can get their dealer to say the dumbest thing about the "rare" Kona Blue, which is found on...basically, everything that Ford makes. Sprinkles on top for the highest KB markup.

I should have an opening gambit later today.

Jimmy
Old 5/12/11, 11:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Is KB no longer available? Your post yesterday from Ford was not conclusive the way I read it. I'm not worried about which color I get I just don't want this to delay the production of my Boss.
Old 5/12/11, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

buyer of my car was told today that comp orange is also no longer able to be ordered on boss cars along with kona by the dealer. there is no direct replacement for CO either
Old 5/12/11, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Is KB no longer available? Your post yesterday from Ford was not conclusive the way I read it. I'm not worried about which color I get I just don't want this to delay the production of my Boss.
Well, the one thing that they were clear about was that there would be no delays (beyond the delays they have already had). You will either get the color or not. Your order is so close to production that I bet you get your KB.

As far as actual discontinuation...it's all semantics. It doesn't matter if it isn't actually discontinued. The dealer response (making me change my color) and the market response ($$$ for the uber-rare and precious unobtrainium Kona Blue) is real. If Ford has a secret stash of this stuff stored in the Area 51 hangar with the Lost Ark...it doesn't really matter.

Jimmy
Old 5/12/11, 11:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jimmy ever think the dealer is taking you for a ride and trying to get the highest price possible for the car. That's my take. Nothing in your documentation proved kona was being dropped at all and making it even more fishy is it came from a dealer!

Let me prove my point in 2009 having nothing to do with Ford at all a dealer sent a message and it spread all over the internet as gospel. Ford only making 2,000 GT500's in 2010 and it proved to be absolute bull****. It didn't come from Ford at all. It was a dealer scam to jack the prices of the 2010 GT500 up pretending they would be scarce. News flash Ford produced close to 4,500 of these as in reality that was simply consumer demand. Gt500's even now are not hard to find at all and haven't been since 2008.

Other dealers have already proven Kona is still in the mix for Q2 production. Quite simply your chain is being jerked and you aren't wise enough to see it. Start working with other dealers. Smart consumers always shop at 3 locations before buying a product. You can use the other dealers as a counter argument concerning them jacking up the price.
Old 5/12/11, 11:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 94gt
Jimmy ever think the dealer is taking you for a ride and trying to get the highest price possible for the car.
I appreciate the good advice, but you might not fully understand my situation. I have a locked MSRP Q3 order from a local dealer. Deposit down and a done deal. That dealer called me and said he can't get KB, so I will need to change my color. That's it. He stands to gain nothing from me, except that I might cancel the order.

I'm just out scrounging for the color I want. If I find it, great. I'll secure it and then cancel my order with the local dealer. He understands and he doesn't lose, because he knows he will be able to sell my Boss to somebody else.

Yes, obviously the dealers I'm talking to now are all trying to get top dollar. I don't begrudge them that, but at the same time this is an annoying process, because I have to listen to them wring their hands and tell me how little margin they make and blah, blah.

I'm paying full price for a brand new car and I think I have the right to be annoyed that I can't have it in my favorite of the whopping FOUR standard colors they offered (YB is a +cost option). Anyway, sorry for whining so much. Thanks again for the advice. I don't think it applies, but if I missed something, just let me know.

Jimmy
Old 5/12/11, 11:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're a Q3 build Jimmy, you'll get Kona. Tell him to put it in and leave it alone.
Old 5/12/11, 12:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
If you're a Q3 build Jimmy, you'll get Kona. Tell him to put it in and leave it alone.
Yeah, I had thought about that. It seems clear from what he passed to me from Ford that they would be building with KB until they run out. If enough other people change their orders and/or the dealers quit ordering other KB cars, then maybe those that stick to their guns can squeak-in before they are out.

To the point of others in this thread, maybe they won't run out. The factory is back online, etc.

Here's hoping. Thanks!

Jimmy
Old 5/12/11, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Best of luck Jimmy! Trust me I see your point with Kona. I love the color and it is by far my favorite. It reminds me alot of nightmist blue from the late 60's mustangs.
Old 5/12/11, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
So my Q2 build should still be KB? I hope so.
Old 5/12/11, 12:53 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble
Yeah, I had thought about that. It seems clear from what he passed to me from Ford that they would be building with KB until they run out. If enough other people change their orders and/or the dealers quit ordering other KB cars, then maybe those that stick to their guns can squeak-in before they are out.

To the point of others in this thread, maybe they won't run out. The factory is back online, etc.

Here's hoping. Thanks!

Jimmy
Just going from the bulletin you posted, they're still offering Kona, but it might not be a color that's made much right now. Now that the plant in Japan is back in production, the lack of product should be over soon. Q3 would be an Aug-Sept. area time frame, and the issues will be taken care of by then.

I'll shoot my sales guy an email and try to confirm what this means. My guess is you might not see as many Kona vehicles on lots in the next month or so, but after that it should be business as usual.
Old 5/12/11, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

My sales manager told me last night that they are still producing Kona Blue at this time, but everything is subject to change. I am hoping that my Q3 build will still be Kona Blue, but I'm thinking Performance White as my back up color. We haven't heard performance white's going away, have we?
Old 5/12/11, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Kona Blue is a great color on its own. I've seen a Kona Blue Boss in person and it is absolutely ridiculous looking with that insane white roof. There were several other people around as we checked out the car and they were all just shaking their heads. Be carefull what ya wish for.
Old 5/12/11, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by drmustang
Kona Blue is a great color on its own. I've seen a Kona Blue Boss in person and it is absolutely ridiculous looking with that insane white roof. There were several other people around as we checked out the car and they were all just shaking their heads. Be carefull what ya wish for.

It looks great.
Old 5/12/11, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

It's kinda jerkish to slam on a color choice that many here have chosen.
Old 5/12/11, 06:57 PM
Cobra Member

Good luck Jimmy, I was stuck between Kona and Performance White - glad now I went with Kona!
Old 5/12/11, 07:07 PM
GT Member

I've seen a Kona Blue Boss in person and it is absolutely ridiculous looking with that insane white roof.
I don't know, I kinda like it:

Seriously, I admit the white roof gave me pause at first, but the Flex, Mini Cooper, and Toyota FJ all have white roofs and nobody has turned to stone looking at them. Heck man, it's just a really wide stripe!

Jimmy
Old 5/12/11, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
It's kinda jerkish to slam on a color choice that many here have chosen.
+1. I've been as critical of the "police interceptor" white roof as anyone but I've come to the conclusion that KB is too dark for black stripes. I want my white roof.
Old 5/13/11, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

So my Q2 build should still be KB? I hope so.
Rick, from my contacts, I really think you are good for a Q2 Kona.
Old 5/13/11, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

+1. I've been as critical of the "police interceptor" white roof as anyone but I've come to the conclusion that KB is too dark for black stripes. I want my white roof.
Ditto, I was all set to paint mine until the car arrived. Now, I like it and wouldn't change it. Some people obviously won't like it but I do and that's all the matters to me!

Quick Reply: Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone!