2012-2013 BOSS 302

Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/11, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
When does the new owner get it?
the day i get my new boss... i wonder if i will be the first person to have owned and sold and then owned a boss 302 again

Last edited by ShaneM; 5/10/11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 5/10/11, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

the day i get my new boss... i wonder if i will be the first person to have owned and sold and then owned a boss 302 again
Interesting
Old 5/10/11, 05:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I heard that Sonic is coming back. Way too purple for me. I thought Vista was a big improvement. Kona is vastly superior to Sonic(been there done that) blue!
Old 5/10/11, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble

I have been lurking for awhile. Sorry this is what finally got me to post.

Jimmy
Did this S197 infatuation start because of the GT500/Coyote threads over at CC.com, Jimmy?

Tob
Old 5/10/11, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Just glad I got my Kona before production ended, it is my favorite blue Ford has produced in some time. Not a fan of Sonic
Old 5/10/11, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kona Blue Boss at Sam Leandro Ford - no Torson option. Same at Montibello Ford...where you at OP?
Old 5/10/11, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Do we actually have proof this color is going away? From everything I have read it is joining grabber and kona blue. Kona is not going away. Much like they have 3 reds in race, candy and lava.
Old 5/10/11, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 94gt
Do we actually have proof this color is going away? From everything I have read it is joining grabber and kona blue. Kona is not going away. Much like they have 3 reds in race, candy and lava.
I'll ask my dealer how the information came down to him. It's difficult to imagine that they would have gone out of their way to call me up and **** me off, without being sure about what they were saying. [shrugs] It could happen, I guess.

The way I figure it, even if they are wrong, the worst thing that could happen is that somebody (me) scrambles to find a Kona Blue and ends-up with a car earlier than he had thought. Oh, noes.

Jimmy
Old 5/10/11, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
Did this S197 infatuation start because of the GT500/Coyote threads over at CC.com, Jimmy?

Tob
Busted. The last Mustang I had was an '85, so I have been absorbing as much new Mustang tech as my brain can hold. Whew. The Boss is the first car in a very long time that has...made me feel funny inside.

Jimmy
Old 5/10/11, 09:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This week's commodities restriction report for '12 Mustang scheduling this week says the following...

Paint Update
At this time estimates show all paints, including Kona Blue (L6), are available for May 12 Scheduling.
Old 5/10/11, 09:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
This week's commodities restriction report for '12 Mustang scheduling this week says the following...

Paint Update

At this time estimates show all paints, including Kona Blue (L6), are available for May 12 Scheduling.
Wait, wut?
Old 5/10/11, 09:27 PM

I heard back from the sales manager where my car is ordered and just by chance the zone rep was there. The rep knew nothing of KB being discontinued immediately and as Brian originally stated it must be for Job 2. The rep is going to investigate further tomorrow and get back to me.

I'm somewhat indifferent about the two colors and it doesn't look like I can control it anyway so I'm not worrying about it. I dig the KB and my only concern is it's very dark. The SB is similar but lighter which would be fine. I just want my car! Hopefully the rep pulls my order this week and I get KB.
Old 5/10/11, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

They might be just burning through the current inventory of paint.
Old 5/11/11, 12:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Where are the dealers located in Minnesota that have Kona Blue Boss 302s ? I would like to take a look @ them.
Old 5/11/11, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the updates on paint - please keep them coming. No offense, but I am hoping this is just more Chicken Little "the sky is falling" and my Q3 Boss will be produced and delivered with my original choice of Kona Blue.
Old 5/11/11, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

That is ridiculous. You can't tell me that there is no chemical/coatings outfit in the USA that can make this kinda paint. Screw the Japs, their paint has been crap for decades,find some one in this country to supply all this stuff. Might as well dump the junk Chineese components while there at it.

Last edited by drmustang; 5/11/11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 5/11/11, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by drmustang
That is ridiculous. You can't tell me that there is no chemical/coatings outfit in the USA that can make this kinda paint. Screw the Japs, their paint has been crap for decades,find some one in this country to supply all this stuff. Might as well dump the junk Chineese components while there at it.
Nice. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
Old 5/11/11, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by drmustang
That is ridiculous. You can't tell me that there is no chemical/coatings outfit in the USA that can make this kinda paint.
Yes I can - there isn't. That's because it's a patented process (by Merck, which is a German chemical company). Now, maybe they could find a similar product, but at that point, it wouldn't really be the same thing and I'm guessing they would just formulate a different color with a new name. To be clear, this is just a component of the paint, not the paint itself.

Just got off the phone with the original source of the news about the discontinuation of Kona Blue and he said that it came out on a Ford bulletin. He said it was the same system they use to tell dealers about rebates, incentives, and other business. He is going to try and get me a screen grab.

Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy Pribble; 5/11/11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 5/11/11, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Here it is (my bolding and some formatting help):

To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers Subject: EFC00312DC Paint Availability Update A month ago (3/25/11), we notified you of an industry-wide supply chain issue which would disrupt the supply of pigments for some of our vehicle paints. Since then, a cross-functional Ford team has developed a comprehensive plan to ensure dealers retain the ability to order and stock a full range of colors with minimal scheduling disruption.
Actions are being implemented at all manufacturing facilities that will include replacement paint choices where necessary. We also continue to have a significant number of vehicles in dealer stock and in the system available for sale to retail customers. Between current inventories and our comprehensive paint plan, we do not expect to experience any color shortages.

The purpose of this communication is to provide an update on scheduling of early balance out paints and our plan to manage through this change.

Vehicle Scheduling Update

Previously, we communicated early balance out of Tuxedo Black, Red Candy, Royal Red and Redfire paint for some vehicle lines.
Additional colors will balance out in the coming weeks and months including:

Bordeaux Reserve
Lava Red
Kona Blue
Sangria Red
Earth
Bright Magenta

Updates with specific balance out dates/details will be provided via normal communication channels - Weekly Commodity and Constraints letter and updates from the Field Order Schedulers.

Replacement Paints

The action plan includes replacement colors for all paints affected by this shortage. Three color replacements impact 2011 models while the remaining replacement paints will be available for the 2012MY.
Below is a summary of the 2011MY vehicle order guides that will be updated:

Current Paint - Replacement Paint - Models
Tuxedo Black (UH) - Black (UA) - Taurus, Edge, Explorer, F-150, Super Duty, Expedition, Navigator, MKS, MKX

Red Fire (G2) - Toreador Red (FL) - Ranger
Red Candy (U6) - Red Candy (RZ) - F150

Dealer Recommended Actions

Significant efforts have been taken to reduce scheduling disruption during this transition. Dealers are encouraged to:
Review weekly scheduling notes for information on replacement paint timing and the publication of updated order guides.
Monitor the unscheduled order bank (USOB) and change orders impacted by balanceout paints.

Ensure salespeople have the most current information to manage customer expectations regarding color availability and retail order scheduling.
This remains a very fluid situation and is subject to change. We will continue to provide additional details as soon as they are available. Thank you for your support as we work through this challenging business environment.
Jimmy
Old 5/11/11, 09:58 AM

Thanks Jimmy. I wonder if black stripes will be available on Sonic Blue?

Quick Reply: Kona Blue is Gone Baby Gone!