Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Hennessy Boss HPE700

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/11, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Land of the free, home of the brave, and basically do anything you want to your ride. Remember the scene from Batman where Nicholson as the Joker goes through the museum and adds his 'personal touch' the artwork, and later reveals his girlfriend with the acid scarred face?

Yeah, that.
LOL a 22 year old batman movie reference. I wonder how many members here are even old enough to remember it/or have even seen it. oh and why should I be impressed that they did that with a Boss, when it can be done, just as easily with a GT? :coocoo:
Old 10/23/11, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Who said reliability is sacrificed? That would be an ASSumption on your part.

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick two.
Tired cliches aside, it's a safe assumption that adding a roots-type supercharger on top of a high compression, high horsepower motor with only an intercooler and no additional cooling modifications isn't doing any favors towards heat management and ultimately reliability. I have a hard time believing that a small shop with no history with actual motorsports has done the extensive reliability testing and modifications to handle consistent high RPM usage that Ford has done for the Boss.

I don't understand why a car that's already more than 99% of its owners could possible handle and with potential to be faster than almost any car at your average track day with nothing more than brake pads and fluid needs more horsepower other than to win Internet pissing contests. Horsepower like this is ultimately just a crutch for poor driving and, in my opinion, a complete waste of money.
Old 10/23/11, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Come to think of it, the reason I love the Boss is that it is cheap, reliable, and fast.
Old 10/23/11, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Could not agree with you more MrBonus!

Reliability will without question be compromised based on the topics you eloquently listed.

Pacettr does not even own a Boss and lives in cliches.
Old 10/23/11, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beauty (and performance) is in the eye of the beholder

Perhaps we are moving beyond the 'why do this' phase. Kind of like climbing Mt. Everest (because it's there). So for those who wish to experiment with a perceived icon of automotive history, have at it.

I may not agree with your decision to do so, but I respect your right to do as you please without ridicule. So for performance shops whose business it is to take any given vehicle and wring even more horsepower, 1/4 mile time, g-force cornering capability out of a car, do it. Even if at the expense of reliability, fuel economy, or sanity, that's simply what they do.
Old 10/24/11, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I find it hard to believe that adding all that weight over the engine doesn't affect the cornering performance of the BOSS. You'd have to upgrade some suspension components, relocate the battery to the trunk, etc...to truly keep the BOSS as adept on the track IMHO.

If all you're doing is straight line racing, I don't see the point in spending the $ on a BOSS when for much cheaper, you could go forged internals on a GT and get more power, more safely, from doing so.

But a S/C'ed BOSS with the appropriate mods to account for the additional weight up front, and to hold the power in the corners, would be a formidable weapon on the track.
Old 10/24/11, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Very good post Rich.

Boss owners always have the option to change or mod whatever they want. It is their choice, and we all do not have to agree on a common path.
Old 10/25/11, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Tired cliches aside, it's a safe assumption that adding a roots-type supercharger on top of a high compression, high horsepower motor with only an intercooler and no additional cooling modifications isn't doing any favors towards heat management and ultimately reliability. I have a hard time believing that a small shop with no history with actual motorsports has done the extensive reliability testing and modifications to handle consistent high RPM usage that Ford has done for the Boss.

I don't understand why a car that's already more than 99% of its owners could possible handle and with potential to be faster than almost any car at your average track day with nothing more than brake pads and fluid needs more horsepower other than to win Internet pissing contests. Horsepower like this is ultimately just a crutch for poor driving and, in my opinion, a complete waste of money.
Whether reliability is affected (it probably is) is debatable, but then again someone who goes to this extreme will likely maintain/service it better than the average car buyer. Remember, Ford engineers for the bottom 10%, who will run 87 octane at high altitude in the summertime while lugging up a hill in 6th gear. A guy who adds a blower will likely run proper fuel, monitor engine vitals, etc.

It might be viewed as a "crutch" for poor driving if the driving you are referring to is a road course, but I assure you there is a very large disparity when going straight that "driving" can't overcome ;-)

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Come to think of it, the reason I love the Boss is that it is cheap, reliable, and fast.
All relative of course.

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Could not agree with you more MrBonus!

Reliability will without question be compromised based on the topics you eloquently listed.

Pacettr does not even own a Boss and lives in cliches.
You are right. I already sold my 2012 Boss in anticipation of the 2013, which I got to see in person at the Ford dealer meetings a couple of weeks ago. I also got a ride around Ford's test track in a Boss 302 piloted by a professional driver.

Pardon all the cliches.

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Perhaps we are moving beyond the 'why do this' phase. Kind of like climbing Mt. Everest (because it's there). So for those who wish to experiment with a perceived icon of automotive history, have at it.

I may not agree with your decision to do so, but I respect your right to do as you please without ridicule. So for performance shops whose business it is to take any given vehicle and wring even more horsepower, 1/4 mile time, g-force cornering capability out of a car, do it. Even if at the expense of reliability, fuel economy, or sanity, that's simply what they do.
Well stated.

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Very good post Rich.

Boss owners always have the option to change or mod whatever they want. It is their choice, and we all do not have to agree on a common path.
Now you're getting it. A little slow (not surprisingly), but you're getting there
Old 10/26/11, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR

Whether reliability is affected (it probably is) is debatable, but then again someone who goes to this extreme will likely maintain/service it better than the average car buyer. Remember, Ford engineers for the bottom 10%, who will run 87 octane at high altitude in the summertime while lugging up a hill in 6th gear. A guy who adds a blower will likely run proper fuel, monitor engine vitals, etc.

It might be viewed as a "crutch" for poor driving if the driving you are referring to is a road course, but I assure you there is a very large disparity when going straight that "driving" can't overcome ;-)

All relative of course.

You are right. I already sold my 2012 Boss in anticipation of the 2013, which I got to see in person at the Ford dealer meetings a couple of weeks ago. I also got a ride around Ford's test track in a Boss 302 piloted by a professional driver.

Pardon all the cliches.

Well stated.

Now you're getting it. A little slow (not surprisingly), but you're getting there
Wow. You already sold your 2012 in anticipation for the 2013. That is exciting since many of us haven't seen the new model and would like to- please tell me they are including Ford Racing gauges to all, rear delete seat option, deleted the stereo as an option and added a mount for iphone (so i can see my racing apps), and got rid of lighted mirrors on the sun shades to save Ford money, added a proper grille with ventilation instead. Threw in a P zero in the trunk. Offer Tracey for .302 cents instead of dollars. And Free oil changes. Fun! Well can't wait to see what colour you chose. Great!