Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Gauge Package

Old 11/24/10, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
That's correct, no My Color.

Ford did so many things right on this car but they have also made a number of really head scratching choices/decisions as well.
I don't mind my color, etc. But I want the same gauges that are in my 70 B2 car.

Race cars have gauges.
Old 11/24/10, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
I don't mind my color, etc. But I want the same gauges that are in my 70 B2 car.

Race cars have gauges.
I stand corrected. The alt, brake, etc., were idiot lights in the tach dash.....

Last edited by dean_acheson; 11/24/10 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/24/10, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Last night the designer mentioned about the gauges being specially designed. Outside of the font, I can't tell much of a difference..
The font looks like the SVT guages. If you notice the speedo goes to 180 and the tack to 9k. I'd say that's Boss specific.
Old 11/24/10, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you dig through all the publicity phots that have been posted, I have seen two different 3 gauge LS pods. Same info, just different gauge faces. I have no idea which is going to be the final design.
Old 11/26/10, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why would you want that? It adds weight and slows the car down

Actually, I believe that is correct. There is no MyColor or ambient lighting. Hope you are well, Roger!
Hey Tony,

All is well. Got a promo at work, teaching a class on the side, and getting ready to do my MBA. The wifey is done with hers, which means student loan payments soon . I am also looking at a bigger house as the market in FL sucks. I did buy the 66 in my avatar . Putting together a tweaked 289 for it right now and fixing the odds and ends. Very little rust and a FL/Arizona car only. I tried tracking down the Mach before I bought it. (the wife wanted to buy it back because we got married in it) I could only track it to a repo SC and it was sold at auction but couldn't track it after that. Now the hard decision will be keep chugging for the 500 or buy a boss with the shaker next year. Decisions decisions. One day I will have both

Roger
Old 11/26/10, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mach1fever
Now the hard decision will be keep chugging for the 500 or buy a boss with the shaker next year. Decisions decisions. One day I will have both

Roger
Problem solved - buy them both!
Old 11/26/10, 08:44 PM

Old 11/26/10, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Problem solved - buy them both!
I wish my wallet said the same. The combination of renting my house to buy another (possibly) and forthcoming student loans make that proposition difficult for now. But as they age I will pick off one of each. Hence the three car garage. They had a four car design but they have built those out in the neighborhood.

Roger
Old 11/27/10, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mach1fever
I wish my wallet said the same.
I understand that!

Speaking of affordability, I wonder if the gauges were left off the standard Boss to keep the price down. I wonder what it would take to get that pod attached to the dash.
Old 11/27/10, 09:32 AM
GT Member

The oil perssure gauge and the volt meter in the premium GT are just idiots lights not realy going to show you any thing .They are there just make the premium GT gauge pkg. look nice .
Old 11/27/10, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
The oil perssure gauge and the volt meter in the premium GT are just idiots lights not realy going to show you any thing .They are there just make the premium GT gauge pkg. look nice .
I was speaking of the LS gauge package being left off the standard Boss. Since the instrument cluster set up is the same for both, it seems to me that the gauges on the dash might have been originally for both and then left off the standard for cost reasons. The TV special on Speed had a segment about how the interior design was to incorporate extra gauges in the design. It didn't make a distinction between the standard and LS dashes.
Old 11/27/10, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Everything i see to date other than the one part in the boss 302 piece on speed has said that the 3 gauge pkg that comes on top of the dash is LS Boss only . I think they did that as a way to make the LS Boss more special as to the base Boss . I think they need that to help set the two cars apart from each other or from a looks stand point the base Boss realy start looking the same in side as to the LS Boss other than rear seat delete .
Old 11/27/10, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Everything i see to date other than the one part in the boss 302 piece on speed has said that the 3 gauge pkg that comes on top of the dash is LS Boss only . I think they did that as a way to make the LS Boss more special as to the base Boss . I think they need that to help set the two cars apart from each other or from a looks stand point the base Boss realy start looking the same in side as to the LS Boss other than rear seat delete .
Yes, understood - LS only. It could have been to simply to keep in character of the LS being more racy, but there could have been some cost consideration in that decision. The standard Boss gets the same IP gauge face as the LS, while the LS gets the additional gauges in the dash pod, adding to what is missing on the IP gauges (oil and battery).

I wonder if the design started with the added gauges for both, then only the LS was given the "nod for the pod". I also wonder if assembly considerations and the impact on the bottom line pricing (getting that pod mounted to the dash) played a role in not extending this to both models.

In other words, what would it cost to mount a gauge pod like that on the dashboard for a limited run of cars?
Old 11/27/10, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im sure cost plays a part but these gauges should be standard on a GT at minimum. As much as I love Ford this is one of my gripes that I cant get over. Idiot light gauges dont cut it. At the very least they should make them an option.

The Camaro has real gauges although they are poorly placed imo. But they are real. I dont buy into Fords nonsense that we are too stupid to understand what we are looking at and neither does goverment motors. They still out sell Ford in volume and I dont hear people crying about why their oil pressure gauge goes up and down.

Ford needs to do something about this. They might be surprise how many would pay for a accurate factory installed gauge package that actually worked like it should. No more idiot light gauges Ford!

Last edited by 3Mach1; 11/27/10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11/27/10, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by chevys
Im sure cost plays a part but these gauges should be standard on a GT at minimum. As much as I love Ford this is one of my gripes that I cant get over. Idiot light gauges dont cut it. At the very least they should make them an option.
It would be LOVELY if it was an option.