Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Finally, today's the day!

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/11, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Say more about your shifting. Certain temps?
No

Originally Posted by 4pipes
No, my first to second is ok, my problem is similar to Scott's. I'm sure it's because of the spring bias that pushes the lever to the left when in the 5/6 position and right when in the 1/2 leg.
Exactly ...

At least twice I went from 2 to 5 because I was over compensating the shifter, kinda ruins the moment on a hard take off. 1 to 2 is fine, 3 to 4 is OK, 3 to 2 is also OK, the rest I need to work on up or down.
Old 3/26/11, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good news is you'll never get into 5th on the track.
Old 3/26/11, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

cept I wanted third I think it is something I can learn with time, I have driven many shift cars but nothing newer then an 87 Bird and a few newer trucks (250, Explorer). I had a T-5 in a 69 351C and that shifted nice. I have not read the other threads outside of this section since my 08 was an auto, glad to know it is not just me.

My first impression of the shifter is how close the gears are, no room for error, at least from what I have been use to. Good news is the clutch feels right.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 3/26/11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 3/26/11, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've rowed my own gears my whole life and I'm finding the Bosses shifter a bit balky. I'm sure I'll adapt with some miles.
That was one of the first things I noticed as well. It's getting better for me. It seems the gears are really close together, but I guess it is a short throw shifter. Just hope I don't hit 2nd when I want 4th downshifting into a turn doh!
Old 3/26/11, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Our tracks must be longer around here Dave. I'll be in 5th gear at 122 MPH or banging the rev limiter in 4th. We hit 140+ on the front straightaway at MAM and 160 (155 for now ) at BIR.
Old 3/26/11, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Off topic, but how in the heck are we supposed to drain or fill the differential case without a drain or fill plug?
Old 3/26/11, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Off topic, but how in the heck are we supposed to drain or fill the differential case without a drain or fill plug?
Good question since Ford's telling us to change it after the first track event and every 12 hours thereafter. On the GT500 I had to pull the dfif cover to drain, then RTV and put it back on. Now with the Griggs Watts Link cover there's a drain plug. You fill from the plug on top of the diff housing. It's on the driver's side but a PITA to get the fluid in since the bottle's too big to get on top of the pumpkin. You have to squeeze it and the bottle's pretty stiff. Some guys have rigged pumps to get the fluid in there.
Old 3/26/11, 08:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Gary
Do you really think it will need to be changed on a low mile car that does a few non-competition track days here and there?
Old 3/26/11, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Gary
Do you really think it will need to be changed on a low mile car that does a few non-competition track days here and there?
Probably not, but I'm not all that familiar with the durability of the Torsen differential. I've also been told you don't put friction modifier in a Torsen, but the Boss owner's supplement specifically calls it out. I'd like to hear more about that from someone that has experience with the Torsen T-2.
Old 3/26/11, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gary, is there a way to remove the fog light insert to cut it out without having to remove the facia?
Old 3/26/11, 08:36 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Good question since Ford's telling us to change it after the first track event and every 12 hours thereafter. On the GT500 I had to pull the dfif cover to drain, then RTV and put it back on. Now with the Griggs Watts Link cover there's a drain plug. You fill from the plug on top of the diff housing. It's on the driver's side but a PITA to get the fluid in since the bottle's too big to get on top of the pumpkin. You have to squeeze it and the bottle's pretty stiff. Some guys have rigged pumps to get the fluid in there.
It will be a pain, but there are two bosses for drain fill plugs in the cover. You would need to pull the cover to drill and tap with an NPT tap. You can see one here.

Consequently, these are the points where an external cooler would be plumbed in, should you want to go that route.
Attached Thumbnails Finally, today's the day!-19-2012-boss-302-detail.jpg  

Last edited by PTRocks; 3/26/11 at 08:38 PM.
Old 3/26/11, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gary, is there a way to remove the fog light insert to cut it out without having to remove the facia?
Yes you can pull them out. When I got to the dealer, the GM already had them pulled and was just finishing running the hole saw through them. We're both getting our cars ready for a track day in a couple weeks and he just put the ducts in along with the scoop and pulled the discs during PDI. I posted some pics of what we did here:
http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...angsonline/15/

Look at the second pic on post #23 and you can see them removed. I assume they're just a pressure fit and you pull out. It was easier than pulling the front fascia.
Old 3/26/11, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I thought you could from your pics.
Old 3/27/11, 06:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

At least twice I went from 2 to 5 because I was over compensating the shifter, kinda ruins the moment on a hard take off. 1 to 2 is fine, 3 to 4 is OK, 3 to 2 is also OK, the rest I need to work on up or down.
Sounds like the typical behavior of a short through shifter. Best advise I have is to allow a short pauses in neutral between 2nd and 3rd.
Old 3/27/11, 07:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Sounds like the typical behavior of a short through shifter. Best advise I have is to allow a short pauses in neutral between 2nd and 3rd.
With the gearing on this transmission and the 3.73s, the good thing is I don't think you'll have to make the 2-3 shift other than at track entry. I will be surprised if 2nd will be needed anywhere on track.
Old 3/27/11, 07:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
With the gearing on this transmission and the 3.73s, the good thing is I don't think you'll have to make the 2-3 shift other than at track entry. I will be surprised if 2nd will be needed anywhere on track.
I believe Ford instructed drivers to use second on turn 11, the last turn before the main straightaway, when driving LS at the February Boss event. All other turns were taken in third.
Old 3/27/11, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I believe Ford instructed drivers to use second on turn 11, the last turn before the main straightaway, when driving LS at the February Boss event. All other turns were taken in third.
Yea, I saw that. I thought I read some of driver's mentioned that they stayed in third, but I'm not sure without re-reading them. The only turn around here that I can think of where I might need 2nd is 15 at MAM, but with TracKey and more low end torque, might not need it there either.
Old 3/27/11, 08:24 AM

With regards to draining and filling the diff...to drain you just pull the cover off and there is a bolt on the front of the diff for filling I believe. Make sure you are able to take the fill bolt off first so you're not left with a dry diff with no way of getting fluid in. You'll probably have to use a liquid gasket each time with a drain/fill but its no biggie. Also just pick up some clear tubing to attach to the gear oil bottle. It takes a while to get in but oh well.....it would have been soooo nice if they just put drain and fill bolts on the cover.
Old 3/27/11, 04:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Well as I said went for a more normal drive today (as compared to driving like a maniac over the passed two days). You need to get use to the shifter that is for sure. The big problem as I see it (when you are driving hard) is you want to force the shifts, I find myself gripping it full fist tightly (like when I was younger oops, nevermind that comment). I found 2-3 to be somewhat like the toploaders, just pushing the shift to 3 with a finger or the palm of your hand forward will do it smoothly. The only difference is it is a lot harder to miss 3rd on a toploader if you grab the shifter and put it in 3rd - but still the TL is much easier letting it glide in with a lighter touch also.

You have to handle it softly which is really hard to do when you are driving fast and hard and shifting at 7 grand. Hope this makes sense, it should for after you drive it. I think 99 percent of you are going to have the same issue when you get the car. The car is intense, a real Boss and I tend so far to drive really intense, I need to loosen up.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 3/27/11 at 09:33 PM.
Old 3/27/11, 05:00 PM
Cobra R Member

In the mean time maybe I should get this

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...al-shift-****/

but then I will need a set of these

Quick Reply: Finally, today's the day!