2012-2013 BOSS 302

Evolution of #0004 (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/11, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the photo comparing the stock and after-market springs, you'll notice a gray rubber material at the top of the stock spring. I believe it reduces NVH. A friend of mine changed springs on his 5.0 and noticed a fair amount of noise coming from the springs. I wonder if you can remove it from the stock spring and attach it to the Steeda springs.
Old 5/3/11, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I wonder what happens if you don't remove them?
The entire car catches fire and burns to the ground -- just while sitting there, doesn't even have to be moving

Nice read, thanks for positing. Do you know what springs they use?
Initially they did the Eibach ProKit, I believe, but with the ASTs it looks like they're these:

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=255

Originally Posted by cloud9
If you look at the photo comparing the stock and after-market springs, you'll notice a gray rubber material at the top of the stock spring. I believe it reduces NVH. A friend of mine changed springs on his 5.0 and noticed a fair amount of noise coming from the springs. I wonder if you can remove it from the stock spring and attach it to the Steeda springs.
I did that with my Vogtlands, transferred them over, they fit fine. Just a bit of softish plastic.

I don't know if it's still valid, but there's a set of AST coil-overs for CMC (Camaro-Mustang Challenge) cars advertised on AST's website for quite cheap, $1250 for the set (no springs, no C/C plates included).
Curious if they're specially valved for stripped out race cars?

http://www.ast-usa.com/mm5/merchant...._Code=CloseOut

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 5/3/11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 5/3/11, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

The rubber is actually on the bottom. I swapped them onto the Steeda springs and fits just fine. I also took the Ford stickers off the factory springs and put them on the steeda springs just in case I need to take it to the dealer.
Old 5/3/11, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I wonder what happens if you don't remove them?
I'm a little shocked they tell you to remove the air spoiler in front of the rear wheel. It was my understanding that it is there to redirect air up to cool the rear brakes.
Old 5/3/11, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I went back and looked at the 302S video and that car has the flap in front of the rear tires and no mudflaps.
Old 5/3/11, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BINGO!!! I had that issue when I switched to the Steeda Spings on my Grabber Blue GT. I then took the rubber pieces off the stickers and added them to the Steedas and the noise went away...
Old 5/3/11, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

My new accesories.

Some more pics of the drop.

Old 5/3/11, 01:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I like the ride height of the Steeda sport springs and was going to use them if I purchased a GT. Lowered but not slammed. Not sure about a key fob. I rented a 2011 vert two weeks ago in Hawaii and my knee was very close to hitting the key.

Can you explain how they feel compared to stock again? You thought they were softer? Aren't the fronts quite a bit stiffer than stock?

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 5/3/11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 5/3/11, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

They feel pretty good. On the highway they felt just about the same. I took a couple of curvy roads and they felt solid. I'm really liking them. I still want to say the ride is slightly less stiff but I can only feel it because I'm searching for it. Otherwise I couldnt tell the difference.
Old 5/3/11, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't tell for sure from the pictures but I think I'd want some more drop in the front to keep the rake, if I would go through the trouble of installing aftermarket springs. Rear wheel gap looks a LOT LOT LOT better though.

Are you going to cut your bumpstops in the rear or did you get aftermarket ones?
Old 5/3/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey sweet car & thanks for serving.

I was born to drive in Italy!!!

If your in the Florence area, the autostrada to Siena is an awesome 2 lane very technical highway. Kinda like a 2 lane parkway in the Northeast. Also take detours to the tower towns in Tuscany, great back roads & scenery.

Keep it between the ditches & have a great time!!

Ciao
Old 5/3/11, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Can't tell for sure from the pictures but I think I'd want some more drop in the front to keep the rake, if I would go through the trouble of installing aftermarket springs. Rear wheel gap looks a LOT LOT LOT better though.

Are you going to cut your bumpstops in the rear or did you get aftermarket ones?
I didnt do anything with the bumpstops. Is it recommended they be removed or cut?

Originally Posted by slidejob
Hey sweet car & thanks for serving.

I was born to drive in Italy!!!

If your in the Florence area, the autostrada to Siena is an awesome 2 lane very technical highway. Kinda like a 2 lane parkway in the Northeast. Also take detours to the tower towns in Tuscany, great back roads & scenery.

Keep it between the ditches & have a great time!!

Ciao
Thanks. I cant wait to hit the roads over there.
Old 5/3/11, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
I didnt do anything with the bumpstops. Is it recommended they be removed or cut?
I hacked down my rear ones with a utility knife, but shorter ones are available:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...2011/p/M5570A/

You might find on especially bumpy roads a sudden increase in spring rate if you don't cut the top off. For some reason it reminded me alot of that Seinfeld issue with the muffin tops, all those unloved muffin bottoms going to waste...

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Instruct...37884264_aLDZC

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 5/4/11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 5/3/11, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Josh. I think I'll get me some of those.
Old 5/7/11, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I went on a little drive on a back road. I was hoping for no traffic but a few cars kept popping up. This is with my GoPro camera. I dont know how to embed so here's a link.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=PICT0001.mp4

Last edited by Zoldier; 5/7/11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 5/7/11, 08:17 AM

I'm watching now, are your side discs removed? Are you using a GoPro?
Old 5/7/11, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes. Yes. I'm gonna start playing with different mounting locations to see what looks good. I put it on the rear window inside the car but all you saw was the interior and a bright white light coming in from the outside.
Old 5/7/11, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

That road and your Boss is making me CRAZY for mine-->
Old 5/17/11, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Here she is with the windows tinted. I went with 35% and I think its just dark enough. The black interior makes it look darker.

Old 5/17/11, 08:28 PM

Nice. The window tinting makes it look lowered.

Quick Reply: Evolution of #0004 (Pics)