Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Buying a Boss - Interesting story

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/12, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good read, thanks for posting it.

Your post also introduced me to The Truth About Cars. What a good site! Well written, balanced, and very complimentary about the new Mustangs, by the way...
Old 6/16/12, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Where did they let him know they wanted to buy his car at his asking price? It's not stated anywhere. In fact, it was the direct opposite. They started at 15K and worked up to 18 when the guy wouldn't budge. And clearly this guy hasn't been there before...so why would he possibly be given the "trusted treatment"? The only "Jacking around" I saw was on the side of the columnist. He wanted too much for his car and the dealer bent over to give it to him: and I don't buy that based on what's been presented. I will wager something else came into play or that it's a load of BS.

Using your scenario, yes...I would find it absolutely plausible. He's been a customer for a while, he has given them years of repeat business and all that... but that's not what happened here. He was a first timer, certainly no lover of Ford, and went in there and started cursing out the salesman.

But there is absolutely a reason to ask ADM...people pay it. It's great if you find one without or make it go away, but not everyone does. And that's free money in the eyes of a Dealer.

Originally Posted by osso12
Simply because they knew they wanted to sell the boss to him in the first place and they had already pretty much let him know more than once they would buy his car at his asking price.....
They were jacking him around on the price of his car. Period.

Case in point.. perfect example.. The 13 boss 302 I want is still on the lot.
I sent the dealership an annon email asking the price of the car. They wanted 20k adm..........
I called the dealer that I have been working with for several weeks on the car... My salesman well sell me this same boss 302 with no mark up at all, and for MSRP. Same dealership..... Even if this car sells before I take ownership he will order the same car for me at MSRP.
There is NO reason to ask for ADM on these cars. WHY? Because EVEN if they sell the car at INVOICE they still will make money on the car.

Of course they will not tell you what I am telling you.
Pay MSRP for the car you want. Usually if you work with a dealership long enough, they will cut the horse S*hit after they know for sure you are serious about purchasing. They should have been prepaired to give him what he wanted for his car after they told him they WOULD. If you can't keep your word on something, even on car pricing your word is piddle squat. If the dealership would not give the guy what he wanted for his car they should have told him NO up front and then he could have worked out some other sort of agreement. If you let the dealer know that you are not out to play games, they usually listen. But you have to be wary and know when and if they are playing games and if they are not. If they have to have $5k ADM...walk.. there are plenty of other dealerships in the US that would love to have you as they're customer and sell you a boss 302 at MSRP.
Old 6/16/12, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by osso12
better to be a DB at times then to loose money. Which is preferable?
Call me one.. I am ok with it as long as I did not take it up the keister over 2k.... theres a sucker everyday.
The two things don't need to be mutually exclusive. You can not lose money and not be a total DB.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought the forum would've merged my posts. Guess not. Sorry for the double post all.
Old 6/18/12, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
The two things don't need to be mutually exclusive. You can not lose money and not be a total DB.
Old 6/18/12, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of stories on buying Boss's out there, many of them pretty amusing. I had one ordered from a dealer in Texas when a C.O. showed up a 100 miles away so I hopped on my bike to check it out and 4 days later had it in my driveway.....
The GM/Owner would only move so far and I actually had the 2 salesmen that I had spoke with pitch $250 each to make it happen! I KNOW that car couldn't be bought for less! Obviously the key is to walk away and let them decide if they really want your business.