Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

To Boss or not to Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/12, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Your going to love your choice once you brake the car in.
I'm loving it! I've tried not to "get on it," but it wants to run so bad...

Originally Posted by max5ive0
That's awesome, congratulations! You made the right choice.
Thanks! I have no doubt now.

Originally Posted by cf6mech
Good deal Snowman ! ...... I'm just north of you in Keller with a Black L/S.
Thanks cf! I'm in Keller nearly every day. Driving through at least.
Five Star had a black LS outside their showroom the last couple of times I was up there. Amazing car, congrats. Very jealous of that exclusive color combo. Where did you get yours?
Old 7/17/12, 11:22 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

and I'm in Allen I have a 2012 Kona/black
.......just returned from 4k miles road from Northern California

Talked with Corey (Five Star) tonite
We were discussing the next ECR track Day...looks like October/November
Old 7/18/12, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

Awesome! Good luck not getting on it during the break in. The GT loves to run. I can only imagine the temptation in the Boss.

I ordered my GT from 5 Star. After we got the order in my salesman showed me a RR Boss in the showroom. Nearly changed my mind right there.
Old 7/18/12, 09:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Snowman
I'm loving it! I've tried not to "get on it," but it wants to run so bad...

Thanks! I have no doubt now.

Thanks cf! I'm in Keller nearly every day. Driving through at least.
Five Star had a black LS outside their showroom the last couple of times I was up there. Amazing car, congrats. Very jealous of that exclusive color combo. Where did you get yours?
Grand Prarie Ford,.... I traded in a RR/white standard Boss on it,...kind of stupid but I really wanted the LS from the start and nobody had one at the time not 10k over MSRP,......this one came up at MSRP,....so I bought it.........lost some dough but not as much as the dealer mark up and got a couple thousand miles in a standard Boss for comparison.

Last edited by cf6mech; 7/18/12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 7/18/12, 09:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

@Snowman, I know the car wants to be let loose, I still have the hardest time trying not to speed on the highway when the car seems to want to speed up. You will be extremely happy with yourself when you baby it for the first few hundred. Make sure you change the oil around 1k, 1200 or so. I think if your careful you might prevent yourself from getting an oil consumption issue.
Old 7/18/12, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

@Snowman, I know the car wants to be let loose, I still have the hardest time trying not to speed on the highway when the car seems to want to speed up. You will be extremely happy with yourself when you baby it for the first few hundred. Make sure you change the oil around 1k, 1200 or so. I think if your careful you might prevent yourself from getting an oil consumption issue.
I have heard of this oil consumption issue, and I haven't tested it yet, but I have heard that switching to full synthetic solves that problem. That is my plan for my 2nd oil change.
Old 7/18/12, 10:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I believe what they put in it from the factory is 5w50 Motorcraft full synthetic. I could be wrong. I don't know how many people have honestly had engine failures due to just bad luck but I know that I have after 3k miles and 1 hard track day a mm or so under the full line and I made sure to change the oil around 1200 miles (1700) to be specific and I am coming up on a second oil change. Just trying to make sure our new Boss owner doesn't ruin his engine from the start.
Old 7/18/12, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lucky13
Awesome! Good luck not getting on it during the break in. The GT loves to run. I can only imagine the temptation in the Boss.

I ordered my GT from 5 Star. After we got the order in my salesman showed me a RR Boss in the showroom. Nearly changed my mind right there.
I'm pretty sure I saw that same RR one in their show room. That was when the seed was planted that led to this car...I would have loved to get my car from Five Star. My company has a relationship with their fleet department and I know their service is top notch, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) deal on a Boss so I had to drive a bit. I'll probably still get my track key activated there.
Originally Posted by cf6mech
Grand Prarie Ford,.... I traded in a RR/white standard Boss on it,...kind of stupid but I really wanted the LS from the start and nobody had one at the time not 10k over MSRP,......this one came up at MSRP,....so I bought it.........lost some dough but not as much as the dealer mark up and got a couple thousand miles in a standard Boss for comparison.
I went to GP Ford right after about 60% of their inventory got wasted by that hailstorm a couple months back. They didn't have any Bosses on hand at the time though. Lots of DFW Boss owners on these forums it seems. Are here any meet ups you guys attend?

I'll definitely get that change done. I've already put 400 miles on her in 3 days hah. I have succumbed to the Boss's desire to run a few times. Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.
Old 7/19/12, 12:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe what they put in it from the factory is 5w50 Motorcraft full synthetic. I could be wrong. I don't know how many people have honestly had engine failures due to just bad luck but I know that I have after 3k miles and 1 hard track day a mm or so under the full line and I made sure to change the oil around 1200 miles (1700) to be specific and I am coming up on a second oil change. Just trying to make sure our new Boss owner doesn't ruin his engine from the start.
I second that, but I thought our cars came with the motorcraft 5w-50 blend. That is what the service dept used for my 1st oil change
Old 7/19/12, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Your service dept. should know it needs 5w50 full synthetic.
Old 7/19/12, 12:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
It's even noted right on the oil cap.
Old 7/19/12, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
It's even noted right on the oil cap.
You would think they should know or at least read the oil filler cap. I had two different dealerships' service departments put in the wrong oil. Always check your receipt, it should list what weight oil they put in. That's the first thing I check and that's why I caught it both times before I drove away. It makes me want to go back to doing my own oil changes.
Old 7/19/12, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Might as well just do yourself, best way of knowing how much and what went in. I had also been told the car came with a blend from the factory, that might be to help it break in properly or quicker, I just know that I went full synthetic for my first and will continue with that. The only issue I am having is finding someplace other then the dealership that sells 5W50, there are sites online but with shipping it ends up being the same price, plus I don't want to worry about the oil breaking open en route.

Last edited by Brandon302; 7/19/12 at 01:19 PM.
Old 7/19/12, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by max5ive0
For what it's worth, all the options tech wise will eventually be outdated, if you are planning for this to be a lifelong car, they won't matter. Here's what matters, upgraded rotating assembly, clutch, suspension, and IMO, not having another "me too" car. Besides, you buy a Boss today, then tomorrow someone invites you to open track day. You never thought you would track it, but now you have to join a car club and take her to the track as a new hobby. Get a Boss!
Well said. Not to offend the GT guys but they are very common around here and I was interested in something a bit different. Also, I love drag racing but that is only becuase I never had a car I could take to the track. I met someone with a LS who spoke with me at length about track days and it convinced me that this may be something new I can get into. So, I'm going to join a car club and hit the track and try something new. Glad I went with the Boss either way.
Old 7/19/12, 10:48 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Lots of DFW Boss owners on these forums it seems. Are here any meet ups you guys attend?
See Robert Richard @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/BOSSOwnersAssociation/
It's a national FB page many DFW owners.
They had a get together in spring, and 1/4 mile nites. Get in on that group for meetups. Also Cars n Coffee in Plano, 1st Sat of every month.

We had track day @ Eagles Canyon about a month ago, total blast.
Corey White from Five Star Ford organized it and I assisted ;-) We had 45+ cars, most were Mustangs and many Bosses and one 2013 GT500.

We WILL have another event Oct or Nov of this year.
PM me to be added to the Track Day notification list.

.....cheers...
Old 7/21/12, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses. They really have been helpful. I'm very glad I made thismpost. I have an update on my quest:

I was discussing my decision with the owner of my company and he suggested I call the manager of the fleet department at a local Ford dealership where we buy all of our company trucks. I called his cell phone and he asked me to come down to the lot.
Before I went to the fleet department I walked through the showroom and saw that they actually had 4 Bosses on site. A SBY that was marked "sold", a RR that was sold, a GTHIG, and a black LS. I have to admit if the RR were not already spoken for my search might have ended right there. I love that look.

I talked with the guy at fleet for a bit about my situation. He gave me the keys to a non-Track Packed brembo GT and suggested I drive around until I started to feel something one way or the other. I drove the GT around for a good half an hour, even pulling into an abandoned industrial building parking lot to do some "launches." Even without being totally comfortable shifting (from lack of practice) the car was a ball to drive. It was plenty of car for me, and I had my mind pretty well made up.

But I had to drive by that **** RR Boss on the way back in the dealership...and the prices were SO close.

So I go in to give the guy the keys back and he asks me what I think. I tell him the GT is great, but the Boss is only a couple thousand more, and it's an amazing car.
He says he will gladly trade for another RR Boss and sell it to me at MSRP, but it will still be way more than a GT optioned as I want it because he would sell me the GT at invoice minus the $1000 rebate they have going. So since he couldn't come off MSRP on the Boss (GM would kill him) the gap in price between the cars swelled to around $7000.

I believe the Boss is worth that, but the cost is enough of a concern for me that I couldn't justify the expenditure. I'm going to order a GT on Monday.

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond. It helped a lot.

TLDR: I'm getting a GT because I got a pretty good deal.
I see we were in the same boat on making the decision -- I was taken by the BOSS and the dealer had 3 sitting on the showroom floor -- the LS was sitting right at the side entrance -- hood open, inviting... reeking of performance... but i know what i will be buying is a daily driver... all 8 miles (round trip). plus the front splitter would never survive a conflict with my driveway. that was the final straw.

I talked with the GM of the store and came up a BBP GT Premium --
I got the car for invoice +100.00 -- minus 1k incentive plus 0 APR and a 1k conquest discount for moving from BMW to Ford. total price just a tad over 33k -- i had a 1k personal cash certificate form Ford the car was delivered after the expiration date ... now that would have been a coup if had received the additional cash... but i still got a good price and I am quite happy with my car.
Old 7/21/12, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
I see we were in the same boat on making the decision -- I was taken by the BOSS and the dealer had 3 sitting on the showroom floor -- the LS was sitting right at the side entrance -- hood open, inviting... reeking of performance... but i know what i will be buying is a daily driver... all 8 miles (round trip). plus the front splitter would never survive a conflict with my driveway. that was the final straw.

I talked with the GM of the store and came up a BBP GT Premium --
I got the car for invoice +100.00 -- minus 1k incentive plus 0 APR and a 1k conquest discount for moving from BMW to Ford. total price just a tad over 33k -- i had a 1k personal cash certificate form Ford the car was delivered after the expiration date ... now that would have been a coup if had received the additional cash... but i still got a good price and I am quite happy with my car.
That sounds like a good deal. You can't beat the performance value of the GT. I have no doubt that if I had ordered the GT I would love it.
I have no regrets on going with the Boss though. An SRT8 with dealer tags still on it just like mine just tried to romp on it and pass me on the freeway. It was fun showing him the sequential blinker as I blew by him and exited. Not that a GT couldn't do the same.
I hope you enjoy your car as much as I'm loving mine!
Old 11/4/12, 06:15 PM

bro before you test drive that boss make sure you can afford it. you will only be hurting yourself. they are very additive cars. I know mines #3179 rr although the gt is very nice. the boss is a different beast
Old 11/4/12, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rbsalado
bro before you test drive that boss make sure you can afford it. you will only be hurting yourself. they are very additive cars. I know mines #3179 rr although the gt is very nice. the boss is a different beast
Dude, he bought it, back in July.
Old 11/4/12, 10:42 PM
Cobra Member

Also, Snowman, did you add quarter window louvers to your car? If so, I think I might have seen it at Chili's on 287 on Oct 12th!

Quick Reply: To Boss or not to Boss?