Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 TracKey

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/11, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having owned a Kawasaki dealership in Kalifornistan, and also a dyno, which I used to re-map the air-fuel and spark curves on motorcycles, I'm unfortunately VERY familiar with CARB. They actually went on a witch hunt a few years back, busting guys like me for 'altering the emissions yada yada yada', with the intent of flipping them, and using their testimony to go after Dynojet. Dynojet obviously makes Dynamometers, but also something called the "Power Commader". This device was pretty-much the 'Kleenex' of motorcycle re-mapping devices, so being the big fish in the pond, the target was BIG, and planted squarely on their collective backs. Anyway, despite the FACT that when we re-map a motorcycle, it actually ends up burning LEANER and CLEANER(factories fatten the **** outta the top end on bikes to better protect them from warranty claims), CARB only cares about the act, and not it's effect. CARB is NOTHING more than a bunch of D-bags who need to justify their jobs by ruining other people's days. With Ford giving them the power to control Mustang owners in all 50 states, and what it looks like on here, EVEN CANADA, CARB is gonna make sure they get every single penny's worth. They're gonna screw us as much as possible, and hold on as long as they possibly can. Despite all cars being '50-state' now, I personally don't see why/how the state's with at least SOME common sense don't/didn't step up and say, 'look... it clearly states on the card that the use of this key is restricted to the track, just like thousands of other aftermarket parts/programming that's sold every day in the U.S.' We TRUST our citizens to use the key RESPONSIBLY, and since we already have systems in place for the police to find non DOT-compliant parts during car stops, we're not gonna worry about it. The key has a big red dot on it for crissakes..! When they pull one over, they'll be able to see if the driver is fumbling around with the ignition, in which case we'll search for the key. If he doesn't appear to pull the key out and replace it with another, but we suspect he's using it, we'll simply ask to see the **** key. The amount of Boss's that are gonna be sold is a relatively SMALL number. The extent of damage that this number could/would do to the planet if every single one was driven around at WFO for every day of it's existence, is minuscule. And that's obviously not gonna happen either.
The whole thing is a big JOKE.
Old 9/6/11, 05:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stay on topic guys.
Old 9/6/11, 05:49 AM
GT Member

I've owned my Boss since March 25th. Whenever Ford releases TracKey, they should give all current Boss owners a huge discount (or tune it for free). It would go a long way in appeasing customers and could restore some respect. If they programmed it for free, how much coin would they lose? Half a million?
Old 9/6/11, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bigbossman
I've owned my Boss since March 25th. Whenever Ford releases TracKey, they should give all current Boss owners a huge discount (or tune it for free). It would go a long way in appeasing customers and could restore some respect. If they programmed it for free, how much coin would they lose? Half a million?
Just a quick fyi, My Dealer specifically made the point to me not to pay another dealer to program the track key, as his shop is doing it for free to all Boss Owners that purchased from them.
So I think there's room on the Trac Key programing price where ever you are,...
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 9/6/11, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jouster

Just a quick fyi, My Dealer specifically made the point to me not to pay another dealer to program the track key, as his shop is doing it for free to all Boss Owners that purchased from them.
Cheers,
Jouster
Did you get that in writing? Isn't it a service, just like an oil change?
Old 9/6/11, 10:01 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Rant much? The tune must pass regulations or no key. Sorry, you'll get over it.
No he won't. :Jester:
Old 9/6/11, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Cheers,
Jouster
Worth a shot. In contact with my dealer now to see what they're planning to do. I bought their first allocation. Sasquatch=TracKey
Old 9/6/11, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Did you get that in writing? Isn't it a service, just like an oil change?
No I didn't get anything in writing, because I know the salesman and trust him. He trusts me too,... That's why when I said I wanted a Yellow Boss he went and dealer-traded an Orange Boss for Yellow Boss 800 miles away, ...then called to tell me he had a Yellow Boss for me.
I put the deposit on my Visa 3 hours later and went out of the country on vacation. Actually, I paid the whole car off using the same Visa card, because I was traveling, and since I had paid half on Visa by then, and it was the easiest thing for both of us.
I think the free programing is this Dealership's way of saying 'Thanks, and come back again'!
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 9/6/11, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
If the re-flash doesn't cost the dealer anything (just a download off the Ford server ?), the dealership I work at is planning on doing them at our regular re-flash rate of $159.95
Old 9/6/11, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gabe
If the re-flash doesn't cost the dealer anything (just a download off the Ford server ?), the dealership I work at is planning on doing them at our regular re-flash rate of $159.95
The $302 is the price to FRPP. If your dealer's going to charge you $159.95 that's either on top of the FRPP cost, or they're subsidizing you for the difference between $159.95 and the dealer cost of TracKey from FRPP.
Old 9/6/11, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
The $302 is the price to FRPP. If your dealer's going to charge you $159.95 that's either on top of the FRPP cost, or they're subsidizing you for the difference between $159.95 and the dealer cost of TracKey from FRPP.
We haven't done any yet, but we'll have to see if there actually is a cost to the dealer, once they (finally) release it.

I'm a Service Advisor who doesn't own a Boss (yet?), but we have a local owner/customer who's interested in the programming.

We'll see ...
Old 9/6/11, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
We haven't done any yet, but we'll have to see if there actually is a cost to the dealer, once they (finally) release it.

I'm a Service Advisor who doesn't own a Boss (yet?), but we have a local owner/customer who's interested in the programming.

We'll see ...
Can I as you a question?
Do you have the Trac Key program sitting in your dealership computer, waiting for Ford to release it, or are you waiting for the program to be sent to you?
BTW, You don't have to answer this if it would compromise your position,...
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 9/6/11, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I as you a question?
Do you have the Trac Key program sitting in your dealership computer, waiting for Ford to release it, or are you waiting for the program to be sent to you?
Cheers,
Jouster
He told ME he does.
Old 9/6/11, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
With a 9% gross margin (MSRP - Invoice) it would be tough to justify the 3-4% haircut the credit card company's going to take ;-) Cuts their gross margin almost in half!
Also, since many CC companies add additional warranties to any items purchased with their card, they are reluctant to allow the purchase of a car. The only card I have ever heard of that you can buy a whole car with is the American Express Black card. I know of several people who have tired to purchase cars with credit cards and only one I know of was a Porsche 911 turbo on AMEX Black. I didn't know that guy but was told about it by the dealership.
Old 9/7/11, 02:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Can I as you a question?
Cheers,
Jouster
I actually have no idea. I'm not a tech so I don't use the IDS computer that they use for programming ...

He told ME he does.
Huh? I told you nothing ... lol
Old 9/18/11, 04:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, we have had some temps in the 30s, Ford please hurry before storage time.
Old 9/18/11, 08:59 AM
GT Member

Obviously this means next to nothing, but the local dealer here told me TracKey was being released next week.

Old 9/18/11, 09:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by farmboy90
Obviously this means next to nothing, but the local dealer here told me TracKey was being released next week.

Hmm. If you're right my car's all track prepped for the Mustang Roundup at MPH next week. Might just have to trailer it down to the dealer for this, but I'm not holding my breath either.
Old 9/18/11, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I say Screw California and C.A.R.B. if they want special regulations on vehicles, the don't need the bad *** cars, more for the rest of the States that are not as stupid, don't infringe on our rights for your states legislation.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 9/18/11, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

ive said this before but there are new folks here so i'll say it again. I was told by some of the guys at AM that should know the problem isn't just carb. The reason all the tuners that were offering cammed tunes a while back stopped was because Ford is trying to get the software patented. the first patent attempt didn't make it so they changed some things and retried. IDK what happened on the second attempt, but the patent thing was way back in May and the system is very slow. I sort of think the CARB thing is helping to cover the patent delay too giving something else to blame it on other than we want a patent so it can't be copied.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 TracKey