2012-2013 BOSS 302

After two years the Boss is indeed, dead?

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/12, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
This is old news about the Boss 302 going away. I announced this fact here 3 months ago on 8/11/12.
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Boss 302 500A & Laguna Seca 501A: Missing, so it appears to be true that the Boss 302 was a 2 year run only ('12 & '13).
Fair enough, but to state that something appears as such isn't normally considered as fact. The just released announcement states and uses much more specific wording - deleted.

Anyway, my point was more along the lines regarding the costs that were built into a two year run as opposed to three. Firstly, kudos to the people at Ford for being honest. Many in the GT500 community felt that their 'baby' was hurt by continued production. Note that I am not in that camp.

What I would have liked to see is the powerplant and suspension in use for '14. An optioned out GT......something. Continued production of those assemblies would benefit everyone in the long run.
Old 11/3/12, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not think they were a HOT seller in Canada.

A search of our Canadian site for New cars shows 61 NEW ones for sale.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/pv/New/al...%2c10%2c9&st=1

And 529 in the USA

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/for...102&trId=40763

My bet is that the poor economy has impacted sales as well.

I am happy to have a limited edition car, but the Transmission could be better.

John

Last edited by Bigjohn; 11/3/12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11/3/12, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Huh! I really like the transmission.....................hated the shifter, but MGW fixed that. I drove my car easy the first 2000 miles, broke my tranny in with kindness, it shifts faultlessly up to redline, but I believe the shifter is the key.
Old 11/3/12, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
Huh! I really like the transmission.....................hated the shifter, but MGW fixed that. I drove my car easy the first 2000 miles, broke my tranny in with kindness, it shifts faultlessly up to redline, but I believe the shifter is the key.
The shifter is the key for all mustangs. I don't think they've built a manual with a decent shifter yet.
Old 11/3/12, 06:42 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohn
I do not think they were a HOT seller in Canada.

A search of our Canadian site for New cars shows 61 NEW ones for sale.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/pv/New/al...%2c10%2c9&st=1

And 529 in the USA

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/for...102&trId=40763

My bet is that the poor economy has impacted sales as well.

I am happy to have a limited edition car, but the Transmission could be better.

John
The fact that Canada is getting nearly double the allocation in 2013 could also have something to do with it.
Old 11/4/12, 07:15 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by JPC
yes, just 2 years for the Boss 302....

BUT 2014 Boss 351 with Shelby's motor without blower...
any bets on that one?

Here's my guess:
Ford will make a 2014 Boss 351 525hp MSRP $55k++ only 1000 units...
.......this will clear out the 2014 before new body of 2015...........
Huh?

The model in the OP is the 2014 Mustang.

Maybe you're referring to the new design 2015 MY?

In which case, not a chance. I have a feeling the 3.7 V6 and 5.0 will carry over unchanged, the SC 5.8 wil go away, and there may be an option for an Ecoboost turbo 4. Down the road, the 3.7 V6 will go away and there may be an optional Ecoboost 6 cylinder. If we're lucky a 5.0 with either a PD blower or Ecoboost turbo will be available in a few years but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 11/4/12, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old news. Besides, gotta make room for a BULLITT or MACH1 for the final run
Old 11/4/12, 07:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Old news. Besides, gotta make room for a BULLITT or MACH1 for the final run
Oh no, here we go again
Old 11/4/12, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

There are some who say the Boss 302 was only to be produced for two years. I have followed all the interviews from Ford reps and read all the articles about the Boss 302 and have never seen a direct quote indicating Ford would produce the Boss for only two years.However, a lot people speculated and assumed the Boss would be made for only two years. Maybe they got their wish. I was a hoping the Boss would be continued at least one more year or longer. It is hard to believe Ford would spend all that money to get the engine certified and then pull it from production so soon. Just does not make sense to discontinue the Boss so soon.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 11/4/12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11/4/12, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Oh my lord. Get over it! Everyone who has been around this site for a couple years, knows we have multiple insiders working for or with Ford, as well as multiple salesmen, who are "in the know." We have all known it would only be a two year run. Yes, Ford DOES certify special edition engines for two or three year runs - 03-04 Cobra and Mach 1s, 03-04 Marauder, 99/01 Cobra, 02-04 SVT Focus, 08-09 Bullitt, 01 Bullitt (one year only), etc, not including the one year only Cobra Rs...

This is nothing new. That's why they're special editions. 2014 is going to be a quiet year to ramp up for 2015. Period.

/thread
Old 11/4/12, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Would it really be that difficult for Ford to continue to produce the Boss for at least one more year ? Some say the Boss is being discontinued because of low sales, bullchit ! Ford allocated small numbers of Boss Mustangs to dealers, so they controlled the sales. The most popular color, competition orange, was only offered one year. During the second year of production, we get the puke green color called something like Got to Heave Green.How could sales be expected to increase. If there are Ford insiders on this site, maybe they can do something to convince Ford to continue production of the Boss for one more year. Like, forget dealer allocations and let dealers order as many Boss Mustangs they want.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 11/4/12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11/4/12, 11:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Would it really be that difficult for Ford to continue to produce the Boss for at least one more year ? Some say the Boss is being discontinued because of low sales, bullchit ! Ford allocated small numbers of Boss Mustangs to dealers, so they controlled the sales. The most popular color, competition orange, was only offered one year. During the second year of production, we get the puke green color called something like Got to Heave Green.How could sales be expected to increase. If there are Ford insiders on this site, maybe they can do something to convince Ford to continue production of the Boss for one more year. Like, forget dealer allocations and let dealers order as many Boss Mustangs they want.

Give it up, my friend

Whilst the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang ever produced (OK, '13 GT500 is level pegging, but for different reasons) I'm glad Ford kept it to just the 2 model years. History repeated itself beautifully with the '12 being a homage to the '69, and the '13 being an homage to the '70. All the planets aligned perfectly for a short while.

Besides........I suspect a lot of tech seen in the Boss 302, and more desides, may well make it to the GT for '15
Old 11/4/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Why do you care?
Are you looking to buy a Boss, but can't buy one this year?
Old 11/4/12, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe they'll make a BOSS HYBRID in a few years
Old 11/4/12, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Give it up, my friend

Whilst the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang ever produced (OK, '13 GT500 is level pegging, but for different reasons) I'm glad Ford kept it to just the 2 model years. History repeated itself beautifully with the '12 being a homage to the '69, and the '13 being an homage to the '70. All the planets aligned perfectly for a short while.

Besides........I suspect a lot of tech seen in the Boss 302, and more desides, may well make it to the GT for '15
THIS.

For all the whining being done about there not being a 2014 BOSS 302 - especially while noting the investment made in the BOSS tech - no one has said the tech is going anywhere. Who's to say the next GT baseline won't utilize some/all of this tech? Things always improve, and history has shown us that new models often borrow from the top tiers of the previous models. With the possible exception of the '13 GT500, it's hard to imagine the performance has plateaued for the Mustang; there's always room for improvement.
Old 11/4/12, 12:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Maybe they'll make a BOSS HYBRID in a few years
you bite your tongue! Err uhh fingertips*...
Old 11/4/12, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes. It would. They don't WANT to produce the Boss for another year. Clearly. Which is why they didn't. And the allocations kept the car rare. What do you not get about this? The point of a special edition is to not increase sales of special editions. The point of a special edition is to get people to come into the dealers, see a halo car and drool over the adjusted market value that bullsh*t dealers add on, then settle for a regular V6 or GT. For the ones lucky enough to afford an SE, they spend the extra money to have the bragging rights and think they can lock it up for 30 years and it'll be worth something. Some will. But good luck with the electronics on these cars, that have enough issues functioning reliably in present day - I shudder to think what they'll be like in 30 years. Technology doubles its advancement every 18 months. In 3 years these cars will be absolutely obsolete. Cars aren't made to last 30 years anymore. They are made under the throw away notion of planned obsolescence that everything is manufactured to these days.

The Boss is done for the S197s. Buy one of the ones on lots now, or buy used when you can afford it. There will be plenty to choose from with low miles.
Old 11/4/12, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Wasn't the 08 - 09 bullitt improvements carryover for the '10 GT ?

This years GT is 420 hp, up from 412. Next year, probably 430 - 440.

Probably see the Boss suspension be the base GT suspension for 2015, or an optional Trac Pack suspension package like on the GT500.

The tech on the Boss will live on.

And I'm glad I got my LS, one year only color - silver and red, one of 150.
Old 11/4/12, 12:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by davesvt2000
Wasn't the 08 - 09 bullitt improvements carryover for the '10 GT ?

This years GT is 420 hp, up from 412. Next year, probably 430 - 440.

Probably see the Boss suspension be the base GT suspension for 2015, or an optional Trac Pack suspension package like on the GT500.

The tech on the Boss will live on.

And I'm glad I got my LS, one year only color - silver and red, one of 150.
Possibly. The Boss suspension is a bit harsh for an optional GT package. I'd say they'll split the difference in the front, and the rear will be IRS so apples to oranges. I highly doubt the high strung Boss motor will become the next GT engine. It's not all about the numbers, but also the engine's character. Some of the tech might live on, but the character will remain Boss exclusive. I'd venture that we won't see another Boss model for at least 15-20 years.
Old 11/4/12, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RTD
Huh?

The model in the OP is the 2014 Mustang.

Maybe you're referring to the new design 2015 MY?

In which case, not a chance. I have a feeling the 3.7 V6 and 5.0 will carry over unchanged, the SC 5.8 wil go away, and there may be an option for an Ecoboost turbo 4. Down the road, the 3.7 V6 will go away and there may be an optional Ecoboost 6 cylinder. If we're lucky a 5.0 with either a PD blower or Ecoboost turbo will be available in a few years but I wouldn't bet on it.

Mmmm bring back the SVO.

Quick Reply: After two years the Boss is indeed, dead?