2012-2013 BOSS 302

About posting VIN's

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/10, 07:57 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About posting VIN's

Hey folks,

Just a head's up. There have been documented instances where car makers have denied warranty claims because they have tracked owner's posts about track usage, linking those posts to the VIN of the poster. As a lot of us are considering tracking their cars, we should consider this carefully.

Separately, I will be curious to see how Ford handles warranty claims for the Boss, given their blatant and specific advertizing that the car has been heavily reinforced for track use, but that's a discussion for another day.
Old 12/20/10, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Hey folks,

Just a head's up. There have been documented instances where car makers have denied warranty claims because they have tracked owner's posts about track usage, linking those posts to the VIN of the poster. As a lot of us are considering tracking their cars, we should consider this carefully.

Separately, I will be curious to see how Ford handles warranty claims for the Boss, given their blatant and specific advertizing that the car has been heavily reinforced for track use, but that's a discussion for another day.
Excellent heads up! Also curious about warranty coverage but one has to think, as you said, it's been advertised as a track car built for the street.
Old 12/20/10, 09:09 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Posting vins, SNs, tags, ect, is never a good idea. One might as well post the SSN.

Boomer might recall the incidents that took place at BON a few years back with a few union thugs who happened to work for Ford dealers and what proprietary information was gathered, all because some people were too excited about their cars and carelessly cut their own throats by posting needless information.
Old 12/20/10, 10:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have been wondering about warranty. Yes they say a race car built for the street but the second key they offer is for the track. Along with every thing else they say about race use, even giving the Utah class.

I plan to pose these questions there and hopefully make some contacts with Ford. While I may not push mine as hard as some of you have stated, I plan to try to hit the track. I have never done any road or circle track racing just drag racing. There are two tracks close by me so I will see how that goes.

When you guys hit the race track do they offer any kind of insurance or are you on you own if you wreck it. Newbie question sorry but as I said I have nerver road raced before.
Old 12/20/10, 11:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Warranty coverage is based on cause and effect. If a Boss 302 goes in for repairs and it is obvious that the failure is from racing, misuse, mods, etc., then warranty coverage will be denied by Ford. If the failure in question is determined to be from normal wear & tear and/or factory defect, then warranty coverage will be honored. There is consumer legislation to support this: The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 12/20/10, 11:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
When you guys hit the race track do they offer any kind of insurance or are you on you own if you wreck it. Newbie question sorry but as I said I have nerver road raced before.
Auto insurance does not cover accidents that occur on the racetrack if it is competition. However, some insurers will cover "driving clinics" or track days if it is not a timed event for competition.
Old 12/21/10, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll jump on this. I've already posted my VIN on "Got my VIN" thread, and you've heard it here first: MY CAR WITH THAT VIN WILL BE ON THE ROAD COURSE AT CAROLINA MOTORSPORTS PARK JUST AS FAST AS I CAN GET IT THERE. Everybody at my dealership knows it and I just don't give a S#$%. I know that if something happens on the track I am responsible for the cost of any repairs and that insurance will not cover it.
I will not sit here and worry about Ford, the Union or the Insurance Company.
Old 12/21/10, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StillIntense
I'll jump on this. I've already posted my VIN on "Got my VIN" thread, and you've heard it here first: MY CAR WITH THAT VIN WILL BE ON THE ROAD COURSE AT CAROLINA MOTORSPORTS PARK JUST AS FAST AS I CAN GET IT THERE. Everybody at my dealership knows it and I just don't give a S#$%. I know that if something happens on the track I am responsible for the cost of any repairs and that insurance will not cover it.
I will not sit here and worry about Ford, the Union or the Insurance Company.
Well said.
Old 12/21/10, 06:56 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Posting vins, SNs, tags, ect, is never a good idea. One might as well post the SSN.

Boomer might recall the incidents that took place at BON a few years back .
I agree its never a good idea.
I don't remember those, but I do seem to recall something a few years back about either Mitsu or Subaru... nailing people for tracking their car and posting about it on the internet.

Or some insurance companies having people at dragstrips/tracks documenting cars/vins for future dropping of policies.
Old 12/21/10, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Bottom line here is that WE pay for the car, WE operate the car and WE maintain the car. I refuse to allow the manufacturer, the insurance company or anyone else dictate what I do with the car, as long as I operate it so as not to put others in danger.
I'm a grown man and don't need to be treated like a child by someone that I PAY MONEY TO.
Old 12/21/10, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I agree its never a good idea.
I don't remember those, but I do seem to recall something a few years back about either Mitsu or Subaru... nailing people for tracking their car and posting about it on the internet.

Or some insurance companies having people at dragstrips/tracks documenting cars/vins for future dropping of policies.

That's what happened with my STi...googled my name and saw car and class times for autox on the internet. Tried to argue that it was a drivers' education event, obviously didn't work as i had to pay for the motor. This was from a company that "gave" SCCA memberships to 04 and 05 STi purchasers!!!

Anyway point being...no matter the "message" from the mfg about so called "racing", you gotta "pay to play"

BTW: Anyone remember a Subaru sponsored events cal Subyfest? Last one was in 2007...and my car was "flagged" by SOA at a competition event in 2007...then poof, no more SubyFest. Why no more SubyFest??? I guess SOA got caught by someone(wasn't me)

Sorry for the rant, I can't wait for mt Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/21/10, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
If the failure in question is determined to be from normal wear & tear , then warranty coverage will be honored.
Generally "normal wear and tear" is excluded from warranty coverage. Warranties are generally to cover defects in workmanship or materials. For example, most "lifetime" warranties don't cover the product wearing out under normal use.

That said, unless the vehicle is abused it would be pretty hard for Ford to deny warranty claims just because a Boss was tracked. If nothing else, it's been wholeheartedly advertised as a streetable track car. Just look at the testing that was done on the motor. They built a special dyno just so they could thrash it far harder than it would ever be thrashed in regular street driving. An oil cooler? A baffled oil pan? A diff cover with heat sinks? Front fascia designed to channel all the air to the cooling system? LOW COMPRESSIBILITY BRAKE LINES!! Oh and let's not forget the "TracKey" tune. Pretty hard to argue the car wasn't designed, engineered and marketed for at least occasional track use.
Old 12/21/10, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Generally "normal wear and tear" is excluded from warranty coverage. Warranties are generally to cover defects in workmanship or materials. For example, most "lifetime" warranties don't cover the product wearing out under normal use.

That said, unless the vehicle is abused it would be pretty hard for Ford to deny warranty claims just because a Boss was tracked. If nothing else, it's been wholeheartedly advertised as a streetable track car. Just look at the testing that was done on the motor. They built a special dyno just so they could thrash it far harder than it would ever be thrashed in regular street driving. An oil cooler? A baffled oil pan? A diff cover with heat sinks? Front fascia designed to channel all the air to the cooling system? LOW COMPRESSIBILITY BRAKE LINES!! Oh and let's not forget the "TracKey" tune. Pretty hard to argue the car wasn't designed, engineered and marketed for at least occasional track use.
Cloud9, you said it well. Agree completely.