Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Mustang BOSS VS 2011 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/11, 10:54 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
It happens with every new Mustang model, there is always a segment seeking legitimacy as if a comparisson provides a stamp of approval.

I've always thought it was the other way around, let the other guys worry about it and try to catch up. Not to be a snob but the Mustang is the head of the pack, everyone else is just sniffing the fumes.
Old 3/22/11, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To both legitimize and provide a market-of-reference you HAVE to compare your vehicles performance to a wide range of OEM vs OEM cars.

The Mustang vs. M3 reference from a cost-to-performance ratio is a very good case in the favor of Ford. As we all know though, not everyone shopping a BMW is looking for "performance" only. Ford will NEVER compete with the image, perception of prestige or German moniker like BMW.

As to the GS - Having owned 4 C6s (3 LS3 Base and 1 Z06) I can say the GS - with all the Z06 hand me downs to include brakes, fenders and wider tires could compete rather well with the Boss. Would I take one over the other? Not sure. Really depends on the individual's taste in design, brand blindness (uhhh I mean loyalty) and needs (2 seats vs. 4 seat - excluding the 501A spec Laguna Seca package).

At the end of the day we are talking about two fantastic American made cars that have screaming V8s and get rather good fuel economy while kicking the crap out of cars costing twice as much!

Personally - I'd go with a CTS-V Wagon w/ a 6-speed manual and Recaro seats, but I don't have that coin right now.

* Disclaimer - Currently I'm driving a Lexus IS-F. (Flame suit on).

Last edited by valdeztke; 3/22/11 at 05:45 AM.
Old 3/22/11, 07:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lighter Vetter with close HP, dont think the Boss is gonna hang. Would be a fun comparison.
Old 3/22/11, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Well in the new road & track test of the LS Boss they ran a 1.39.5 lap time out at laguna seca . That just 2 sec slower than the 2011 ZO6 carbon . With the GS weighting more and less HP than the ZO6 i think it would make for a close comparison .
Old 3/22/11, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by valdeztke
To both legitimize and provide a market-of-reference you HAVE to compare your vehicles performance to a wide range of OEM vs OEM cars.

The Mustang vs. M3 reference from a cost-to-performance ratio is a very good case in the favor of Ford. As we all know though, not everyone shopping a BMW is looking for "performance" only. Ford will NEVER compete with the image, perception of prestige or German moniker like BMW.

As to the GS - Having owned 4 C6s (3 LS3 Base and 1 Z06) I can say the GS - with all the Z06 hand me downs to include brakes, fenders and wider tires could compete rather well with the Boss. Would I take one over the other? Not sure. Really depends on the individual's taste in design, brand blindness (uhhh I mean loyalty) and needs (2 seats vs. 4 seat - excluding the 501A spec Laguna Seca package).

At the end of the day we are talking about two fantastic American made cars that have screaming V8s and get rather good fuel economy while kicking the crap out of cars costing twice as much!

Personally - I'd go with a CTS-V Wagon w/ a 6-speed manual and Recaro seats, but I don't have that coin right now.

Nothing wrong with a Lexus IS-F, it's a nice sports sedan
Old 3/22/11, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Well in the new road & track test of the LS Boss they ran a 1.39.5 lap time out at laguna seca . That just 2 sec slower than the 2011 ZO6 carbon . With the GS weighting more and less HP than the ZO6 i think it would make for a close comparison .
dont get me wrong, would love to see the Boss take it to the Vette. Just don't want everyone to be disappointed if it doesn't. Hopefully some mags will pull this one out. Especially since they compared the last GT500 to the Vette GS
Old 3/22/11, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

And an airplane manufacturer will never be able to build a world class luxury sports sedan...wait...wut?
Old 3/23/11, 01:09 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR
And an airplane manufacturer will never be able to build a world class luxury sports sedan...wait...wut?
I'm still waiting for Ford to pull that off too.
Old 3/23/11, 01:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR

What about the Consolidated B-24 Liberator?
Read your post again, nevermind mine

Last edited by Big Vito; 3/23/11 at 01:22 AM.
Old 3/23/11, 05:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

And Hyundai will never be able to build cars to compete with Honda and Toyota. Best never to use the word NEVER.

Old 3/25/11, 02:15 PM

I think you guys missed my point on that one - the Mustang will never be built to compete with an M3 just like the new SHO wasn't benchmarked against the current M5.

Why? Easy - cannibalization.

Ford has a product plan that includes a sports coupe for Lincoln (small and large - think M3 and CL sized). Sure, the performance R&D may come from the development of the Mustang through Ford Racing - but the interior quality and panache of the Lincoln will match closer to the BMW.

So when I said Ford, I literally meant the brand Ford in the sense that Lincoln will be the company to really go head-to-head with the M3. With the help of Ford's (read Mustang) performance bones.

Does that make more sense fellas?
Old 3/25/11, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Nothing wrong with a Lexus IS-F, it's a nice sports sedan
Thanks Bp. Trying to get the wife to give it up. I need a V8 that makes music...the IS-F drives like a scalpel - precise and quick, but I miss wild, loud and sloppy (C6 Z06).
Old 3/26/11, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Smile

I brought up this comparation for many reasons. I had a chance to drive great cars (Ferrari F430 and Lamborguini Gallardo) in Las Vegas Motor Speedway at exotic car racing.com. (By the way I liked better the Ferrari was faster at the track). At that time I had my own '02 Porsche Carrera with a modiffied sport suspension, that I tracked in my local PCA club, I made less time than a fully modiffied C5 Corvette and I think a ('09?) Mustang GT. Never had a chance to race against a Corvette C6, but I had deep respect at them, since, for a car that cost much less than a 911, It really will give it a very strong fight, and depending on road conditions & driver probably will take even the GT3 and 911 turbo.
Before I had an '05 Infiniti G35 sport coupe,it was hard to say goodbye to it, great looks, nice handling, best reliability that I had seen & was a perfect day to day driving car.
Before replacing my 911, I was invited by Cadillac to experience their brand new Cadillac CTS-V coupe and sedan. After driving both car in auto & std. consfiguration on the track. I really liked the CTS-V coupe with the standard shift, the automatic always was very slow from a start, for some strange situation always seam like it was starting in 2nd. shift, and only after the Supercharger quick, it came a live, but on my personal opinion that removed the driving spirit from the car, both of them handled well but felt very heavy. And the coupe in my case was out of the question because I have tall kids to carry along in the weekends, that was one of the reasons that I let go my 911. All of them (including my wife) hated the interior space & very poor reliability and high cost of maintenance. And to be honest a Cayman S with PDK will give a strong battle at the track to his older brother 911 for much less $$$.
After reading MT comparation of the Brembo GT VS the BMW M3, I really was amazed of a car costing half the M3 will give it a very strong fight. Immediately went to the FORD dealer to get my red '11 GT Brembo w. the 3.73. To tell you the truth now I don't miss my 911, I just purchased from Sam Strano, KONI STRT + Steeda sports, and as soon as they arrive, I will be ready to give a strong fight to Porsches at my local PCA.
I compared the regular BOSS (because of my present kids situation). I know Laguna is faster (but does not have a rear seat) VS the Corvette Grand Sport that will be my car to get after my kids go to College. Personally I think that the BOSS will follow very close behind the '11 Grand Sport with the OEM improved suspension and OEM tires upgraded.
Both are two great American Car VS europeans. Europeans now are only for reputation tradition and prestige only against them.
And europeans have very poor reliability compared to Japaneses vehicles. (now I can judge myself after I had european, japanese & american sport cars experience of my own). Great work FORD & Chevrolet including the Cadillac.
Of all cars, the best cars to me are the: Bugatti Veyron SS (fastest car) & 2012 Porsche GT2 RS one of the best in the Nurburgring laps, but both are out of my $ league.
Is all about cars, Just enjoy!
Old 3/26/11, 08:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Nice write up M3H. I'm in a similar situation as you with two kids that want to ride in whatever car I buy. I was also thinking about another 911 (I've owned two) or the GS. Once I saw the LS last Fall I was sold. I know all the German cars have a great reputation along with the prestige but their reliability has not kept pace with the rest of the world and if you look at the annual rankings they keep slipping further back. My Boss will be the first American built car I've purchased in a decade and I'm glad to be back. Hopefully I only have to wait about three more months for my car to arrive. As I posted in your other thread think twice about the adjustables. Have fun with your GT.
Old 3/26/11, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Nice write up M3H. I'm in a similar situation as you with two kids that want to ride in whatever car I buy. I was also thinking about another 911 (I've owned two) or the GS. Once I saw the LS last Fall I was sold. I know all the German cars have a great reputation along with the prestige but their reliability has not kept pace with the rest of the world and if you look at the annual rankings they keep slipping further back. My Boss will be the first American built car I've purchased in a decade and I'm glad to be back. Hopefully I only have to wait about three more months for my car to arrive. As I posted in your other thread think twice about the adjustables. Have fun with your GT.
5 DOT. Great choice. Enjoy!. I think FORD made a big steep forward, starting with the improvements of the 2011 Mustang. Now they are able to compete in another league.