Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Mustang BOSS VS 2011 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/11, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 2012 Mustang BOSS VS 2011 Corvette Grand Sport

I know that here, we are all fans of Mustangs. But just to be real. Which one will be faster (less lap time) around a racetrack like Laguna or simillar track. The new 2012 Mustang BOSS (not the Laguna) or the 2011 Corvette Grand Sport (that came with the OEM magnetic shocks suspension & upgraded tires)?
Old 3/20/11, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the two will eventually be compared, run similar lap times with professional drivers, and the debate will rage on endlessly but ultimately the car with the better driver will be faster. They're both awesomely capable cars that will no doubt be faster than everyone who owns them save for the professionals.
Old 3/20/11, 07:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
I know that here, we are all fans of Mustangs. But just to be real. Which one will be faster (less lap time) around a racetrack like Laguna or simillar track. The new 2012 Mustang BOSS (not the Laguna) or the 2011 Corvette Grand Sport (that came with the OEM magnetic shocks suspension & upgraded tires)?
Why not the LS? Compare a Boss vs. Corvette or the LS vs. GS. Still a fairly large priced difference but I think the vettes will be faster. If nothing else they are lighter.
Old 3/20/11, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm sure the two will eventually be compared, run similar lap times with professional drivers, and the debate will rage on endlessly but ultimately the car with the better driver will be faster. They're both awesomely capable cars that will no doubt be faster than everyone who owns them save for the professionals.
This.

The guys I go to the track with most often are from the Corvette club. Yea I know, but there aren't as many Mustang track guys around here. Anyway, it's probably a driver's race. The Vette should hold a slight advantage with equally capable pro drivers, but there are some guys I can pass in their Z06s, so a lot will depend on whose driving it. The Grand Sport is a few hundred pounds lighter, has a lower center of gravity and wider tires.
Old 3/20/11, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Why not the LS? Compare a Boss vs. Corvette or the LS vs. GS. Still a fairly large priced difference but I think the vettes will be faster. If nothing else they are lighter.
That would be a better comparison, but as you state still in different price categories.
Old 3/20/11, 09:19 AM
GT Member

This is the shoot-out i like to see the most 2012 Boss 302 vs 2011 GS corvette . I got my 2011GT because with some spring, shock & struts, camber plates and watts linkage i realy think the GT could go head to head with a stock GS corvette (i was thinking this before ford came out with the Boss 302). That why i have a 300a GT to get the lightest GT i could get. Now that we have the Boss to work with you have a better starting point to work with than my Brembo GT. I realy think this would be fun to see how they stack up to each other .
Old 3/20/11, 03:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

I kind of find these comparisons funny. You can get a GS Vette loaded up and your comparing it to a purpose built Mustang with base enmities. I'm still kind of puzzled why Ford keeps comparing the Boss to the M3. It's kind of embarrassing that it takes a stripped down Mustang with go fast parts to do it. Honestly a little better suspension on a GT would beat a M3.
Old 3/20/11, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
I kind of find these comparisons funny. You can get a GS Vette loaded up and your comparing it to a purpose built Mustang with base enmities. I'm still kind of puzzled why Ford keeps comparing the Boss to the M3. It's kind of embarrassing that it takes a stripped down Mustang with go fast parts to do it. Honestly a little better suspension on a GT would beat a M3.
This.
Old 3/20/11, 04:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How is it embarrassing? Ford brought back the Boss in the same spirit as the original. Sure they could have added more technology but brought the price up closer to the GT500 or M3. They chose to keep it more affordable and make it fast. They targeted the M3 from a performance standpoint as it was the best target for a two door four seater.

That's the beauty of the current Mustang lineup. You can dial up or down your comfort and technology features, along with your preference for go fast and handling.

Embarrassing? I really don't get that.
Old 3/20/11, 04:22 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
... That's the beauty of the current Mustang lineup. You can dial up or down your comfort and technology features, along with your preference for go fast and handling...
The good old days are now.
Old 3/20/11, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly what cloud said. Adding all those comfort features might be something that people want, but if you add all that extra fluff you probably don't want to track it. And by the time you add all that extra fluff, you are at a GT500 price. So really there was no need for them to add those options.
Old 3/20/11, 05:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
How is it embarrassing? Ford brought back the Boss in the same spirit as the original. Sure they could have added more technology but brought the price up closer to the GT500 or M3. They chose to keep it more affordable and make it fast. They targeted the M3 from a performance standpoint as it was the best target for a two door four seater.

That's the beauty of the current Mustang lineup. You can dial up or down your comfort and technology features, along with your preference for go fast and handling.

Embarrassing? I really don't get that.
This
Old 3/20/11, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

This stripped down nature of the Boss is a plus for me. I'm tired of excessive technology creeping its way into new cars. Give me a car that has the basics and keeps me focused on driving.
Old 3/20/11, 06:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
This stripped down nature of the Boss is a plus for me. I'm tired of excessive technology creeping its way into new cars. Give me a car that has the basics and keeps me focused on driving.
+1. My wife's car has all the tech bells and whistles. If I need a tech fix I'll drive her car. The Boss is going to be all about the driving experience and I'm ready!

Old 3/20/11, 06:34 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
+1. My wife's car has all the tech bells and whistles...

+2. My wife's has Nav, My Voice, My Touch, My Camera, My Bells, My Whistles... My Goodness! It drives me nuts!

Old 3/20/11, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

IMHO the Corvette would win on most road courses. Probably not by a huge margin, but it would still win. The Corvette is lighter, has more torque (but a little less hp), and wider wheels and tires.
Old 3/20/11, 08:12 PM

A lot of people talk about the corvette being a lot more money. There are dealerships out there where you can get an LT1 (base) grand sport for about 46-47K...not too far out of the ball park of the 302 with recaro torsen package. The GS is an incredible car for the track..dry sump oil system, fade resistant brakes, engine oil cooler (302 has one as well). The thing is that the majority of people who are going to track either of these vehicles (in HPDE settings, not professional racers) will need years to get close their limits, if ever at all. You can't go wrong with both. Pick whichever one gets you excited the most. I'm extremely excited about my 302 on order. It will have so much trackability right out of the box. BUT if something falls through with my order (as I have no build date or VIN) I wouldn't hesitate to check out a deal on a GS. I looove all performance cars.
Old 3/20/11, 08:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
This

I just wanted to say "this" too.
Old 3/20/11, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
IMHO the Corvette would win on most road courses. Probably not by a huge margin, but it would still win. The Corvette is lighter, has more torque (but a little less hp), and wider wheels and tires.
And has a great suspension.
Old 3/20/11, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Even at $48,950 I won't buy a vette

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang BOSS VS 2011 Corvette Grand Sport