Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/10, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Look back at all my posts and see if I've been wrong on anything regarding the Boss and then make your own assumption. Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but once they build the *000-*000 Boss models, that's it no matter how many people want one.
I am not either. Just looking for validation of the assumption. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any actual numbers from Ford on the build. I've seen speculation of 750 split between 12 & 13, 500 per MY, 750 per MY and as 1% of Mustang build..... Can you clarify the numbers?
Old 11/27/10, 11:24 AM
GTR Member

If Ford wanted us to know the production numbers, they'd be out by now. I think the pricing got leaked a bit earlier than they expected, but it wasn't a huge deal.
Old 11/27/10, 11:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's puzzling that they would limit the LS to the small quantities that have been reported. If they spent the amount of R&D to test the LS components that they contend, how do they recoup the cost on such a limited run?
Old 11/27/10, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More fuel for the FIRE!!

Leaked: Ford Mustang Boss 302 Production Limited To 8,000 Over 2 Years

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...0-over-2-years

LQQK
Old 11/27/10, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
More fuel for the FIRE!!

Leaked: Ford Mustang Boss 302 Production Limited To 8,000 Over 2 Years

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...0-over-2-years

LQQK
Yeah, that article is dated 13-Sep, which around the time one could go look on Amazon.com and see an entry for John Clor's book on the Boss 302, where it proclaimed the 4000 per year for 2 years, with 1000 of them being the LS over 2 years.

That was a "whoopsie" on Amazon's part, and the entry was taken down quickly!
Old 11/27/10, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Yeah, that article is dated 13-Sep, which around the time one could go look on Amazon.com and see an entry for John Clor's book on the Boss 302, where it proclaimed the 4000 per year for 2 years, with 1000 of them being the LS over 2 years.

That was a "whoopsie" on Amazon's part, and the entry was taken down quickly!
Yep, I still have that link,,,I'm just throwing out old RUMORS that may or may-not be confirmed for those that haven't seen where they started.

LQQK
Old 11/27/10, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep, I still have that link,,,I'm just throwing out old RUMORS that may or may-not be confirmed for those that haven't seen where they started.

LQQK
Ah, got it! And white growing on me, by the way, everytime I look at that avatar of yours
Old 11/27/10, 12:13 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Evil
To keep this in perspective. Every order that has been reported has been at MSRP or less...
Those who are interested in getting a Boss should secure it by ordering if possible. The dealers which order the Boss without a buyer will be the ones asking over MSRP making it harder to work out a reasonable deal. Eventually they too will be more receptive but only when the demand levels off but if they succeed it will be a long wait.
Old 11/27/10, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

Ah, got it! And white growing on me, by the way, everytime I look at that avatar of yours
The White, in the Speed video, next to the grabber Green, is so sweet, even with red roof accents.

LQQK
Old 11/27/10, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

As long as there are no turns involved>>

LQQK
I guess you haven't seen any of the videos that show how well the 2011 GT handles. Put a SC on it and it is going to bury the Boss, absolutely no doubts about it.
Old 11/27/10, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
I guess you haven't seen any of the videos that show how well the 2011 GT handles. Put a SC on it and it is going to bury the Boss, absolutely no doubts about it.
The supercharger would add weight to the front. That weight then has to be managed. I think it is difficult to conclude that more power would provide a performance gain in terms of road course laptimes. Surely it would provide an advantage in a straightaway. However, one has to also manage the extra power in the rear as well. It would prove for an interesting comparison.
Old 11/27/10, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The supercharger would add weight to the front. That weight then has to be managed. I think it is difficult to conclude that more power would provide a performance gain in terms of road course laptimes. Surely it would provide an advantage in a straightaway. However, one has to also manage the extra power in the rear as well. It would prove for an interesting comparison.
It not only adds weight, it adds a TON of heat. Heat on a road course has to be managed. That means an even bigger radiator plus an intercooler and big heat exchanger. That adds more weight again. I'm looking forward to road racing a N/A Boss instead of my raped ape GT500. I might even put some DRs back on my GT500 once I get the Boss.
Old 11/27/10, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Also keep in mind that ultimately it's not about the lap times but the experience and feel. The boss will have a much different power delivery, sound and balance vs a supercharged mustang.
Old 11/27/10, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
Also keep in mind that ultimately it's not about the lap times but the experience and feel. The boss will have a much different power delivery, sound and balance vs a supercharged mustang.
Those are vital questions for me. I'm not sure that I like the whine of the GT500 car and the short redline. I do like some of the luxo optiions, and the fact that I can find a low mileage used 2010 for the same price as a B2. I love the idea of 500-550 horsepower. I love the Shelby, esp. the cars that are sans stripes, but from all the videos that I've seen, I don't like the fact that about the time they seem spooled up, things are boucing off rev limiters.

Certainly, my HIDs in my Bullitt, the Shaker 1000 and the fact that it's just **** near paid for, are three items that I will miss a great deal. Since I'm not a rich man, this will be my DD. Hard choices.

In the end, my time behind a steering wheel is the time when I am at my happiest. I think that all three cars would make me happy. I think that the Boss 302 is the more "serious" car of the three. Much as the 69-70 B2 was more of an enthusiast's car than the plush 69-70 Shelby (which involved probably as much of CS's imput as the current rig) and the original 68 GT 390 car was an understeering pig.

In the end. what's important to you? I guess I'm going to fall on the side of the poor stereo and the 7.5k N/A scream and the neutral weight distribution and then on some days, miss my good stereo....
Old 11/27/10, 10:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Those are vital questions for me. I'm not sure that I like the whine of the GT500 car and the short redline. I do like some of the luxo optiions, and the fact that I can find a low mileage used 2010 for the same price as a B2. I love the idea of 500-550 horsepower. I love the Shelby, esp. the cars that are sans stripes, but from all the videos that I've seen, I don't like the fact that about the time they seem spooled up, things are boucing off rev limiters.

Certainly, my HIDs in my Bullitt, the Shaker 1000 and the fact that it's just **** near paid for, are three items that I will miss a great deal. Since I'm not a rich man, this will be my DD. Hard choices.

In the end, my time behind a steering wheel is the time when I am at my happiest. I think that all three cars would make me happy. I think that the Boss 302 is the more "serious" car of the three. Much as the 69-70 B2 was more of an enthusiast's car than the plush 69-70 Shelby (which involved probably as much of CS's imput as the current rig) and the original 68 GT 390 car was an understeering pig.

In the end. what's important to you? I guess I'm going to fall on the side of the poor stereo and the 7.5k N/A scream and the neutral weight distribution and then on some days, miss my good stereo....
Ummm, we were talking about a GT with a SC added. Someone posted that they weren't sure they wanted the Boss because they really wanted a glass roof.
I suggested that they just get a GT with the options they wanted and then added the Brembo brake package, the 3.73 gears and then put a SC on it and they would have the car they wanted with tons of performance.

I suppose it's human nature to champion the car/model that you have but I get a bit tired of everyone tearing down other people's cars- pointing out all of their shortcomings while failing to see the shortcomings in their preferred model. The Boss is not so far beyond a GT that a GT with a SC putting out 525hp isn't going to give it a serious challenge. I don't really care about the track, but I think it would be pretty close, but on the street the Boss will get owned, despite the Red Key.
Old 11/27/10, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Ummm, we were talking about a GT with a SC added. Someone posted that they weren't sure they wanted the Boss because they really wanted a glass roof.
I suggested that they just get a GT with the options they wanted and then added the Brembo brake package, the 3.73 gears and then put a SC on it and they would have the car they wanted with tons of performance.

I suppose it's human nature to champion the car/model that you have but I get a bit tired of everyone tearing down other people's cars- pointing out all of their shortcomings while failing to see the shortcomings in their preferred model. The Boss is not so far beyond a GT that a GT with a SC putting out 525hp isn't going to give it a serious challenge. I don't really care about the track, but I think it would be pretty close, but on the street the Boss will get owned, despite the Red Key.
I do not own a Shelby or a 2012 Boss Mustang. I'm also not exactly seeing where I was "tearing down other people's cars." Where did you get that from? Because I said that i'm not a huge fan of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpoY...eature=related

I love the Shelbys, and have been seriously considering purchasing a used one for awhile now. However, I think that if finances permit, I'm going to make the sacrifices to put a 12 B2 in the garage.
Old 11/27/10, 11:44 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Dave, lets be logical for a minute. You are an avid Mustang enthusiast with personal preferences, no different than many other members, with plans to upgrade an already great car which I believe the membership has offered nothing but support, no rain on your parade. I believe the guys dreaming of the Boss are seeking what you have been able to realize, the perfect Mustang for your taste.

It would a more pleasant experience for all to support their turn and share their joy as many others have for you, I, and countless others.
Old 11/28/10, 07:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Dave, lets be logical for a minute. You are an avid Mustang enthusiast with personal preferences, no different than many other members, with plans to upgrade an already great car which I believe the membership has offered nothing but support, no rain on your parade. I believe the guys dreaming of the Boss are seeking what you have been able to realize, the perfect Mustang for your taste.

It would a more pleasant experience for all to support their turn and share their joy as many others have for you, I, and countless others.
George,

I do share their joy, but this thread was started by someone comparing the Boss and the GT. Several people who posted were saying they were considering a GT and a few people have made it seem like it's the "lesser" car. A few performance mods and all these cars are pretty much in the same class.

I don't think we need to bash someone's personal choice/preference because it may be different than our own. Why make someone looking to buy a GT feel like it's a bad choice?
I'm sure V6 owners know what I'm talking about all too well.

I probably could've been more tactful, so I apologize for not being.
Old 11/28/10, 07:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
I do not own a Shelby or a 2012 Boss Mustang. I'm also not exactly seeing where I was "tearing down other people's cars." Where did you get that from? Because I said that i'm not a huge fan of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpoY...eature=related

I love the Shelbys, and have been seriously considering purchasing a used one for awhile now. However, I think that if finances permit, I'm going to make the sacrifices to put a 12 B2 in the garage.

Dean,

My post was not directed at you per se. My reply to you was just to clarify that were were discussing the Boss vs. a GT. The 2nd paragraph in my reply was not directed at you at all and was just stating my general feeling with how things seem to go.

As for the SC whine....I wasn't sure I would be a big fan of it either but once had one you'll find it's tough to give up.
Old 11/28/10, 10:19 AM
GT Member

I think it is fantastic that Ford is giving everyone so many options:
  • Mustang V6
  • Mustang V6 Conv't
  • Mustang GT V8
  • Mustang GT V8 Conv't
  • Mustang Boss 302 & LS
  • Mustang Shelby GT500
  • Mustang Shelby GT500 Conv't
  • Performance & Premium packages
Tons of performance and custom options available from both Ford and aftermarket (go see SEMA sometime).

Just about anyone can put together a Mustang like they want it, budget and use ultimately determining what they choose.

I originally wanted the Boss because it was new and exciting, I have talked to several dealers about ordering one, and I still may end up with one. After considering use (street vs track), I am now leaning towards GT Premium with 6sp, brembo, and 3.73 and a lot of features I want like Sync, roof, premium sound, HID's, securty system, etc. I would upgrade exhaust, and probably tweak handling & performance to get closer to the Boss. I am thinking low end torque will be more usable to me than high RPM HP.

Still debating the Boss vs. GT Premuim.....great to have choices!

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?