Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/10, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?

The new Boss 302 looks like an exciting car and I give kudo's to Ford for developing it and bring it to market. I had some random thoughts about the Boss vs. the GT Premium for street/everyday use.

The Boss was developed as a car for the track, it has stiffened suspension, big brakes, engine built to produce power at high RPMs, muffler bypass, TracKey etc. It has a restricted list of options, mostly focused on performance over comfort. Incredible performance vehicle but comes at a premium and little chance to get it below MSRP.

I would assume the majority of regular Boss buyers are not racing their cars, making major mods, or taking them to tracks (LS buyers would be a difference story). Would modding the Boss effect its value in the future?

The GT Premium 5.0 with 6sp and brembo brake package offers a lot of performance but also a long list of options that many would appreciate in everyday use - Sync system with Nav & Hands-free, glass roof (or convertible), leather, upgraded sound system, MyColor, etc. Great car right out of the box and you could easily add some things to improve handing and peformance, even add Recaro seats should you want them.

In a lot of cases, you can get a great deal on a "regular" Mustang, invoice or below.

Again, just some random thoughts and opening it up for discussion. Different cars for different markets. How are people planning to use their Boss, daily commute, weekend driving, or for track use? Would a well equiped GT make a better everyday/weekend car? What kind of GT could you put together for the $45K cost of a Boss?

I do not plan to race mine on the track, just looking for a great weekend car with some daily commuting - now Boss or GT?
Old 11/25/10, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I didn't have my Mustang already I definitely would have purchased the Boss over the Brembo GT. I want those Recaros.
Old 11/25/10, 10:26 AM
GTR Member

I think it all depends on what features you'd want. If you're looking for a bit more upscale car, then go with the GT Premium. Get it with the Brembo brakes, 3.73 rear end, and the other features you want. Like you said, if you want Recaro's, then skip the Comfort package and source them down the road.

If you want a car that you really won't touch, and will be extremely noticeable and rare, then get the Boss. If you can live without the premium options day to day (or whenever you drive it), and have intentions of track use and want to minimize total investment into the vehicle, then the B302 is your car.

I don't regret getting my 2011 at all, and the parts I do want from the B302 are enough to not copy the design, but improve my car to some point in between. Plus, I have Sync, HIDs, and active anti-theft, which the B302 does not.
Old 11/25/10, 11:16 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I assume the deciding factor for getting the Boss is performance out of the box over comfort features and subsequent mods.
Old 11/25/10, 12:17 PM

Yuppers!
Old 11/25/10, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedrx

I would assume the majority of regular Boss buyers are not racing their cars, making major mods, or taking them to tracks (LS buyers would be a difference story). Would modding the Boss effect its value in the future?
That is hard to predict. I have a "rare" 2003 Mach 1 (with well over 16000 made) that has been modified in the areas of exhaust, intake, shifter, and suspension. I retained all the stock parts for a potential future buyer and collectability. But add to the fact that I daily drove the car for 4 years, putting on about 69,000 miles, the value of what I can sell it for now is diminished by probably $2000-$4000 over a lower mileage stock version. My reference source is the sales and purchases I've seen on the Mach 1 Registry forums.

How are people planning to use their Boss, daily commute, weekend driving, or for track use? Would a well equiped GT make a better everyday/weekend car? What kind of GT could you put together for the $45K cost of a Boss?

I do not plan to race mine on the track, just looking for a great weekend car with some daily commuting - now Boss or GT?
If I am able to purchase a Boss, it strictly would be used for cruising, car shows, and the occasional autocross or high-performance driving event. I would not use it for a daily commuter, although the standard Boss could be used for that purpose (unless the temperature gets cold).

For a daily driver, I personally like the Shaker 500, the reduced road noise from sound insulation and quieter sounds levels from the stock muffler. I actually have a 2010 GT, so my experience is different than someone with the 5.0L engine. For around town commuting, I would choose a 2011 or 2012 GT for the same reason as compared to a Boss.
Old 11/25/10, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
If I didn't have my Mustang already I definitely would have purchased the Boss over the Brembo GT. I want those Recaros.
Assuming you can get a set of Recaros for the GT once Ford releases them, would you then go for the Brembo GT?
Old 11/25/10, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think it all depends on what features you'd want. If you're looking for a bit more upscale car, then go with the GT Premium. Get it with the Brembo brakes, 3.73 rear end, and the other features you want. Like you said, if you want Recaro's, then skip the Comfort package and source them down the road.

If you want a car that you really won't touch, and will be extremely noticeable and rare, then get the Boss. If you can live without the premium options day to day (or whenever you drive it), and have intentions of track use and want to minimize total investment into the vehicle, then the B302 is your car.

I don't regret getting my 2011 at all, and the parts I do want from the B302 are enough to not copy the design, but improve my car to some point in between. Plus, I have Sync, HIDs, and active anti-theft, which the B302 does not.
This makes a lot of sense. At first, I just wanted the Boss (still do) but after everything considered, I am now leaning towards a loaded GT - I really wany Sync, roof, etc. Also, I think I would use this car more since I wouldn't be as concerned with keeping it low miles, modifying it, or collectibility.
Old 11/25/10, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I will use the Boss as a daily driver. It will be my only car; my wife has a wagon to transport the dogs and for long trips. I will be taking my ten month old son to and from day care on my commutes to/from work. I might join a club to get some laps in at VIR in the coming years. I realize it's not the most practical car but I have wanted a Boss since I was a teenager when I saw my first restored '69 Boss 302. In a perfect world I'd be able to get HID, sync, and a shaker 500, but I'll take the performance and upgrade the comfort stuff later. To me, a car should be driven and life is too short to put off an opportunity like this. I'm normally a very practical person but this is one of the exceptional circumstances when doing something fun cannot be avoided.
Old 11/25/10, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
If I am able to purchase a Boss, it strictly would be used for cruising, car shows, and the occasional autocross or high-performance driving event. I would not use it for a daily commuter, although the standard Boss could be used for that purpose (unless the temperature gets cold).

For a daily driver, I personally like the Shaker 500, the reduced road noise from sound insulation and quieter sounds levels from the stock muffler. I actually have a 2010 GT, so my experience is different than someone with the 5.0L engine. For around town commuting, I would choose a 2011 or 2012 GT for the same reason as compared to a Boss.
I think that is what I would do with the Boss, keep it for cruising, special occasions, and some performance driving. I would want to limit miles and wear & tear.

I am wondering how many people can afford a $45K car for occasional driving while purchasing another vehicle for daily use.
Old 11/25/10, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watched that Speed TV show over it. Pretty cool they called it Project 747 cause they knew it would take off!!
Old 11/25/10, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
I will use the Boss as a daily driver. It will be my only car; my wife has a wagon to transport the dogs and for long trips. I will be taking my ten month old son to and from day care on my commutes to/from work. I might join a club to get some laps in at VIR in the coming years. I realize it's not the most practical car but I have wanted a Boss since I was a teenager when I saw my first restored '69 Boss 302. In a perfect world I'd be able to get HID, sync, and a shaker 500, but I'll take the performance and upgrade the comfort stuff later. To me, a car should be driven and life is too short to put off an opportunity like this. I'm normally a very practical person but this is one of the exceptional circumstances when doing something fun cannot be avoided.
The Boss as a daily driver, very cool! Fun over practicality, can't argue with that!
Old 11/25/10, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
I will use the Boss as a daily driver. It will be my only car; ...
One of the most important considerations, in my opinion, would be the wear and tear on summer only tires. Of course, it depends on where you are located and the climate there.

The Boss tires are not ideal for temperatures that are cooler because the compound will harden and the tires would lose grip. However, depending on where you drive and if you avoid light snow conditions, this would be a non-issue.

As the standard Boss seems to have the same mileage rating at the GT, then there should be some reasonable fuel economy, assuming you don't hammer that throttle
Old 11/25/10, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Figure out what things are most important to you (limited edition, lower $, etc.) and make your decision from that.
Old 11/25/10, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

Mine is gonna be a DD, except when weather is inclement, then my P/U will fill in for those duties. I was close to purchasing a 5.0 when the news leaked about a possible BOSS Resurrection and the rest is history.

I wanted luxury, combined with adrenaline pumping excitement, I tested cars in the $35,000.00-$60,000.00 catagory, at the time the one that made me smile more, was the 5.0. Believe me, I was SHOCKED that it was as much or even more fun than a G37,GS Corvette, GT500, Nizmo 370Z, Camaro, Challenger, A4, Porsche Boxster (this one was fun) but cost less than the rest.

Well, when the BOSS became official, I decided, based on wanting a 5.0, that giving up luxuries, in favor of Prestige, Looks, Handling, Performance and Exclusivity (not gonna see one on every block) that I would be proud to make the BOSS, my new toy, and hopefully, I'll learn how to drive it on a track (against the clock not other cars at the same time) for even more thrills, so there you have it,,,

LQQK
Old 11/25/10, 06:46 PM
GT Member

no offense.. but...... if you have to ask Boss or premium GT then the boss is not for you. The Boss will appeal to a smaller group of people but for those wanting one like me it`s a no brainer even though it has less options than premium GT at a higher price. I`m looking at the car as a whole and it`s in a class of it`s own.
Old 11/25/10, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Assuming you can get a set of Recaros for the GT once Ford releases them, would you then go for the Brembo GT?
Nah, I'd still get the Boss because of what it is.
Old 11/25/10, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Looks good as a DD>>>

LQQK
Old 11/25/10, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by LQQK

Well, when the BOSS became official, I decided, based on wanting a 5.0, that giving up luxuries, in favor of Prestige, Looks, Handling, Performance and Exclusivity (not gonna see one on every block) that I would be proud to make the BOSS, my new toy, and hopefully, I'll learn how to drive it on a track (against the clock not other cars at the same time) for even more thrills, so there you have it,,,

LQQK
Excellently, Ford will be giving that track time instruction upon the purchase. That is a great place to learn!
Old 11/25/10, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Looks good as a DD>>>

LQQK
Yes, it does look good as a DD, although I am still having a hard time adjusting to that white roof, maybe it looks better in person....

Last edited by speedrx; 11/25/10 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?