Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/10, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12GTBLK
The dealer completely blew me off like it would be impossible to get.
Intially, that might be true. But have patience, new ones will be available.
Old 11/27/10, 07:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by x96283
For me the dealbreaker is the glass roof... It seems minor but I really want natural light in the cabin. Can't get a dang sunroof like the camaro has (take away from 'vert sales? yeah right).

Big difference on the z06 exampleabove... z06 doesn't come with a removeable roof like the normal c6/ gs do.

Am I willing to forgo the "sunroof-esque" experience for everything the Boss offers over the GT? At what point does the power "overpower" the comfort options?

I would totally daily drive a Boss, but would not seeing an opening in the roof remind me everyday of my decision?

This is all theory as I'm not even sure if Military Car Sales will get Boss allocations; they are already holding a raffle for an opportunity to purchse one of the now limited 5500 GT500s

We'll see what I get next summer...
Get a loaded GT with glass roof, brembo's and 3.73's and then stick a supercharger in it and you'll blow by every Boss on the road or track!
Old 11/27/10, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Get a loaded GT with glass roof, brembo's and 3.73's and then stick a supercharger in it and you'll blow by every Boss on the road or track!
As long as there are no turns involved>>

LQQK
Old 11/27/10, 07:44 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Get a loaded GT...
He might as well. The Boss will be hard to get in many regions of the country. It's a dealers dream of 2007 all over again with the GT500 only with half of its production.
Old 11/27/10, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
He might as well. The Boss will be hard to get in many regions of the country. It's a dealers dream of 2007 all over again with the GT500 only with half of its production.
You're right especially with some people "dreaming" of future collectibility. Just revisit all the old conversations about the GT500. CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS! If you want the Boss it should be primarily for the performance characteristics. Otherwise get a Premium GT with all the creature comforts you want. When you get the Boss drive it! Or better yet track it!

I am really frustrated at this point with Ford's approach to the LS. IF they truly limit production to the numbers speculated, I expect to see very few if any when I'm at the road course. The Boss was designed to perform. They tested the motor to run an equivalent of the Daytona 250 175 times consecutively!!!!!! This car is designed to thrash and still have full factory warranty!!!!!

The reality is that actual production will end up meeting actual demand. Just like the GT500. The frustrating part is the initial numbers will be limited driving ADMs (although not like the GT500). When demand wanes and production catches up, there will be more cars out (Mach 1?) and it starts all over again.
Old 11/27/10, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
The reality is that actual production will end up meeting actual demand. Just like the GT500. The frustrating part is the initial numbers will be limited driving ADMs (although not like the GT500). When demand wanes and production catches up, there will be more cars out (Mach 1?) and it starts all over again.
I'm in complete agreement. All the more reason to wait for the 2013 MY B302 imo. Better colors, stripes, and any bugs the 2012 may have should be worked out by then. There will be 2012 models on the lots when the 2013's are slated for production just like the GT500's are now. Ford will limit production but they also won't leave much money on the table. If demand exceeds supply they'll make more rest assured. They're not an exotic car manufacturer (sans the GT) and in this economic climate they'd be very foolish to turn away customers. Both model years will be special but anyone who wants one will be able to get one.

I've thought about the GT w/ upgrades proposition. I've thought of and at times am still considering a GT500, but I've had two '70 Boss 302's and when I saw the story board of the 2013 MY on the Speed TV special I have my target set for that car. Likely white or grabber blue. I rarely used Nav or my electric seats in my last car so if the new B302 doesn't have it, I won't have to pay for it and the money will be better spent on Recaros and Torsen. I just need to be steadfast and be able to wait as I've been hasty in the past and end up with something I later regretted when what I really wanted became available.
Old 11/27/10, 09:24 AM
GT Member

You're right especially with some people "dreaming" of future collectibility. Just revisit all the old conversations about the GT500. CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS! If you want the Boss it should be primarily for the performance characteristics. Otherwise get a Premium GT with all the creature comforts you want. When you get the Boss drive it! Or better yet track it!

I am really frustrated at this point with Ford's approach to the LS. IF they truly limit production to the numbers speculated, I expect to see very few if any when I'm at the road course. The Boss was designed to perform. They tested the motor to run an equivalent of the Daytona 250 175 times consecutively!!!!!! This car is designed to thrash and still have full factory warranty!!!!!

I think you are right, you won't see a lot on the track right away, many are going to be locked away in garages because of the limited/collectability aspect of the car. Dealers are going to mark them up like they are rare precious high margins assets.

If Ford released these like any other vehicle and let the market decide how many need to be built to meet demand, I think it would be a different story. Then again, if it wasn't treated as something special and limited, maybe demand would not be as great....who knows.

Either way, I am glad Ford IS building them.
Old 11/27/10, 09:33 AM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
I'm in complete agreement. All the more reason to wait for the 2013 MY B302 imo. Better colors, stripes, and any bugs the 2012 may have should be worked out by then. There will be 2012 models on the lots when the 2013's are slated for production just like the GT500's are now. Ford will limit production but they also won't leave much money on the table. If demand exceeds supply they'll make more rest assured. They're not an exotic car manufacturer (sans the GT) and in this economic climate they'd be very foolish to turn away customers. Both model years will be special but anyone who wants one will be able to get one.
Production WILL be limited, they will not make any more when the number is reached. Why do you think they are having a lottery to see which dealers get one according to previous sales? If production was not limited then every dealer would be able to order one just like the rest of the line up. Is that happening? The LS will be limited even more than the regular Boss. You will not see those sitting on any lot without a buyer, except if the dealer jacks up the price to insane levels.
Old 11/27/10, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Production WILL be limited, they will not make any more when the number is reached. Why do you think they are having a lottery to see which dealers get one according to previous sales? If production was not limited then every dealer would be able to order one just like the rest of the line up. Is that happening? The LS will be limited even more than the regular Boss. You will not see those sitting on any lot without a buyer, except if the dealer jacks up the price to insane levels.
Just in case some are not aware of what your talking about:

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

Here is the allocation plan for the Boss.
The New Boss 302 is back after a 40 year hiatus. This no-nonsense enthusiast track car is built for the street with the race track as its lab. The 2012 Mustang Boss 302 is set to become the best-handling Mustang ever offered by Ford.
This purpose built vehicle is available in two trims for a limited run --Boss 302 & Boss 302 "Laguna Seca" package featuring a 440 HP Hi-Po 302 V8 Engine.
Methods for Earning Allocation
All Ford dealers will have the opportunity to earn a 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. There are two methods for earning allocation:
1) Share of Nation
oApproximately 75% of the 2012 Boss 302 production will be allocated to the Ford dealers as a Share of Nation
oThose dealers that sell 75% of the retail Mustangs will participate in the Share of Nation allocation (retail Mustang sales % of Nation) -- through July, this is the Top 794 Mustang dealers
o12 months of sales (October '09 - September '10) will be used to determine dealers participating in the Share of Nation. A dealers opportunity to increase share of nation allocation or inclusion in the Top 75% is increased with each Mustang sold through the end of September
oEach of the dealers participating in the Share of Nation is guaranteed at least one Boss 302
2) Lottery
oThose Ford dealers not participating in the Share of Nation will be entered into a Lottery for the balance of the allocation
oEach dealership participating in the Lottery will receive one chip (entry into the lottery) for being a dealer and one chip for each retail sale over the 12-month period (October '09 - September '10)
oThose dealers with ZERO Mustang sales over the last 12-month period will each receive one chip in the lottery
oNo dealer will earn more then one Boss 302 through the lottery
Note: The Laguna Seca Package will be allocated by a second lottery for all dealers earning a Boss 302 through Share of Nation or Lottery.
To help manager customer expectations for ordering the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, all 2011 MY dealer production guides will be communicated in early October. Dealers will be given their full year guide numbers along with the quarter(s) their unit(s) will be scheduled. This will enable dealers to manage customer expectations regarding availability and timing. Production is scheduled to begin in late January and will conclude in December 2011.
Since it's unveiling on August 13th, the 2012 Boss Mustang has created a tremendous amount of excitement amongst our dealers and customers. It is our hope that this allocation strategy will support your efforts in providing customers with a clear understanding of this new and exciting best in class product.

LQQK

Last edited by LQQK; 11/27/10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 09:54 AM
GT Member

It'll be limited but not out of reach for the vast majority of those who want one eventually. They're having a lottery to market the car to those who must have the car asap thereby playing off the emotions of compulsive enthusiasts to pony up now. It happens with any limited production vehicle in order to get the early adopters to pay at least sticker with the least resistance. It's a tried and true method to sell units and has been played over and over again with any car that is 'limited'. As time marches on and the hype dies down there will be a few B302's on the lots for someone to buy if they want one. Although you may have to travel to get the one you want just like the GT500 is now.
Old 11/27/10, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

It'll be limited but not out of reach for the vast majority of those who want one eventually. They're having a lottery to market the car to those who must have the car asap thereby playing off the emotions of compulsive enthusiasts to pony up now. It happens with any limited production vehicle in order to get the early adopters to pay at least sticker with the least resistance. It's a tried and true method to sell units and has been played over and over again with any car that is 'limited'. As time marches on and the hype dies down there will be a few B302's on the lots for someone to buy if they want one. Although you may have to travel to get the one you want just like the GT500 is now.
Dealers will be given their full year guide numbers along with the quarter(s) their unit(s) will be scheduled. This will enable dealers to manage customer expectations regarding availability and timing. Production is scheduled to begin in late January and will conclude in December 2011.
From above.

LQQK
Old 11/27/10, 10:07 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Just in case some are not aware of what your talking about:

2012 Boss Mustang Allocation Strategy

<snip>

There are two methods for earning allocation:
1) Share of Nation
oApproximately 75% of the 2012 Boss 302 production will be allocated to the Ford dealers as a Share of Nation
oThose dealers that sell 75% of the retail Mustangs will participate in the Share of Nation allocation (retail Mustang sales % of Nation) -- through July, this is the Top 794 Mustang dealers
o12 months of sales (October '09 - September '10) will be used to determine dealers participating in the Share of Nation. A dealers opportunity to increase share of nation allocation or inclusion in the Top 75% is increased with each Mustang sold through the end of September.

<snip>
Why only through July?? What happens after July? As you can see, Share of the Nation is calculated from Oct.-Sept., so 'through July' is not a factor in that. So why mention it? Does Ford intend to revisit production levels after July?

Last edited by PTRocks; 11/27/10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Has Ford released the total 2012 production figures for both the regular Boss and LS?

I have seen several numbers like 2000 total, 2500 total, 750 LS's, etc.
Old 11/27/10, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

To keep this in perspective. Every order that has been reported has been at MSRP or less.
The typical mustang buyer would rather have a Gt500 because of the horsepower. Placing a big adm on a boss likely means it will sit for a long time. Between the allocation strategy and Ford pricing the car just right it shouldn't be that difficult to find a deal.
Old 11/27/10, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
From above.

LQQK
They did this with the GT500 but still increased production!!! Don't fool yourself. Ford is in business to make money and will make more if they are hot. The original GT500 numbers were 7-8k for 2007 and only a two year run. The built 10,800 '07s, almost as many 08s and only 3k 09s when they were starting to pile up on lots and were ready to introduce the new style '10s.
Old 11/27/10, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You pretty much nailed it Randy. It's just frustrating for those of us that want to use the LS for what it was intended for and that is the track. If we wait until the third or fourth quarter allocations, they will almost certainly be MSRP or less, but it means 18 months from now before we track them. (Unless of course you live in FL, TX or CA )
Old 11/27/10, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
To keep this in perspective. Every order that has been reported has been at MSRP or less.
The typical mustang buyer would rather have a Gt500 because of the horsepower. Placing a big adm on a boss likely means it will sit for a long time. Between the allocation strategy and Ford pricing the car just right it shouldn't be that difficult to find a deal.
I think you are correct. It's just a matter of timing to get one.
Old 11/27/10, 10:54 AM
BOSS Member

They did this with the GT500 but still increased production!!! Don't fool yourself. Ford is in business to make money and will make more if they are hot. The original GT500 numbers were 7-8k for 2007 and only a two year run. The built 10,800 '07s, almost as many 08s and only 3k 09s when they were starting to pile up on lots and were ready to introduce the new style '10s.
Trust me, they will not make more once they build out of the intended run. Didn't they limit production of the '11 GT500? The Boss will be limited to way less than that too. Just because it was done a few years ago doesn't mean it will continue to happen.
Old 11/27/10, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Trust me, they will not make more once they build out of the intended run. Didn't they limit production of the '11 GT500? The Boss will be limited to way less than that too. Just because it was done a few years ago doesn't mean it will continue to happen.
Do you work in management for Ford? If so, it would be helpful to know since it will ultimately determine what price we have to pay. If not, then it's just speculation.
Old 11/27/10, 11:12 AM
BOSS Member

Do you work in management for Ford? If so, it would be helpful to know since it will ultimately determine what price we have to pay. If not, then it's just speculation.
Look back at all my posts and see if I've been wrong on anything regarding the Boss and then make your own assumption. Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but once they build the *000-*000 Boss models, that's it no matter how many people want one.

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang Boss 302 or 2012 Mustang GT Premium?