2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Targa Top

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/14, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree the full targa does offer more of the open air feel since there wouldn't be anything above the window when its open, but it's hard to argue with the push button convenience of the panoramic sunroof.
Old 7/8/14, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem is if you use the MKZ type design with the top as a turtle shell it just does not cut it with the rest of the car's beautiful lines. I have always been a ragtop guy and for me the targa is the best combination of features. I did consider a glass roof when I bought my '11 but it really needed to be retractable inside the vehicle and with the 550's roofline that won't work. Likely my replacement will the a covertible but there are times I would like to button her up and enjoy the AC. As far as push button, the new ragtop is super fast to drop and raise.
Old 7/8/14, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

New 911 Targa!

I was looking for a pic of the old 911 Targa from the 70s and saw they are reintroducing it - the video is awesome but if Ford did this it would have to be just a removable panel(s) - I am certain the new 911 Targa costs more than the convertible!
Old 7/8/14, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
Problem is if you use the MKZ type design with the top as a turtle shell it just does not cut it with the rest of the car's beautiful lines. I have always been a ragtop guy and for me the targa is the best combination of features. I did consider a glass roof when I bought my '11 but it really needed to be retractable inside the vehicle and with the 550's roofline that won't work. Likely my replacement will the a covertible but there are times I would like to button her up and enjoy the AC. As far as push button, the new ragtop is super fast to drop and raise.
True but the convertible is a $5500 premium, and a reduction in safety both in side impact and rollover collisions.
Old 7/9/14, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe a targa would not be much less than the convertible if Ford ever built it but, regarding reduced safety in side impact it is rated the same for the hardtop as the ragtop "Acceptable" and the Mustang Convertible has had a “5 Stars Rollover Rating" by NHTSA since at least 2008. http://www.cars.com/ford/mustang/2014/safety-ratings. The majority of rollover involved SUVs due to their higher center of gravity. As always the best way to survive and accident is by not getting into one in the first place
Old 7/10/14, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

I believe a targa would not be much less than the convertible if Ford ever built it but, regarding reduced safety in side impact it is rated the same for the hardtop as the ragtop "Acceptable" and the Mustang Convertible has had a “5 Stars Rollover Rating" by NHTSA since at least 2008. http://www.cars.com/ford/mustang/2014/safety-ratings. The majority of rollover involved SUVs due to their higher center of gravity. As always the best way to survive and accident is by not getting into one in the first place
The ratings may be the same, but you still miss out on the curtain airbags in the vert. It would be nice if they could be integrated into the top of the door. And it is true that you are less likely to roll a car than an suv, but pop-up rollover bars would have been a nice addition. I was hoping with the new global focus that the European market would drive the need for them since they are pretty common on European convertibles.

As for the price, the Lincoln's price for the panoramic sunroof is 2995 so it splits the difference pretty well between the current fastback and vert. A nice compromise in both function and price in my opinion.
Old 7/10/14, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RaceRed50
Bring back T-tops like in the fox bodies!
I second this I have a huge weak spot for t tops
Old 7/10/14, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the debate between T-tops and a targa, I would favor T-tops. I've owned two cars with T-tops and one with a targa. A targa top has the advantage of looking cooler/more exotic. But it's harder for a single person to pull the targa top or put it back in place, than having two smaller panels that you do one at a time. It's also harder to store one big panel than two smaller ones. Lastly, having that bar in the center theoretically should give the body a little more rigidity.
Old 7/10/14, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Side curtains

I found this video and although the convertible gets wacked hard, it is pretty amazing the job the side curtains do in protecting the driver even in a convertible. Cars have become a lot safer than we realize. There was another video of a new Malibu crashing offset head on with a 1960's Chrysler and I would take the modern car over the Chrysler tank!

But back to Targas and T Tops. The Targa could be made in two peices pretty easily for storage. If Ford offered either a Targa or a T Top that would be both great options. and I think better than the panoramic roof since you can't retract it inside the car, not with the 550 roofline.
Old 7/10/14, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally I would be 100% ok with a roof that retracts into the car at the expense of the rear seat headroom.... Not my problem up front! And would just keep it shut with passengers

Last edited by xlover; 7/11/14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 7/10/14, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Convertible hard top?
Old 7/10/14, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Supersnake04
Convertible hard top?
Too heavy, too expensive, and they are typically not transparent. Nice feature on a Mercedes-Benz but not right for the Mustang.
Old 7/10/14, 07:24 PM
GT Member

would love to see a targa like the vette, or supra. loved the one on my supra, one of the best features of the car.. little added weight and simple.

the sliding roof on the mkz is just ugly and my bet is heavy.. sunroof i would not own one..

beers
Old 7/11/14, 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Ford Mustang convertible | 2010 | Side Pole Crash Test | NHTSA | CrashNet1 - YouTube I found this video and although the convertible gets wacked hard, it is pretty amazing the job the side curtains do in protecting the driver even in a convertible. Cars have become a lot safer than we realize. There was another video of a new Malibu crashing offset head on with a 1960's Chrysler and I would take the modern car over the Chrysler tank!

But back to Targas and T Tops. The Targa could be made in two peices pretty easily for storage. If Ford offered either a Targa or a T Top that would be both great options. and I think better than the panoramic roof since you can't retract it inside the car, not with the 550 roofline.
These are the seat mounted side impact air bags. Coupes also have curtain airbags that fire from above the window and come down to protect back seat passengers too. You can see both here in this Fusion.
Though I will admit that the seat mounted airbag in the mustang does appear much taller than the one here in the Fusion, so that's reassuring.

Old 8/15/16, 12:17 AM

Look at the SALES of the CORVETTE Coupe - which I have one. First off the MUSTANG is getting more and MORE equivalent (especially the GT & GT350) to the Base Stingray. Now I love my Corvette 50th Anniverssary....but I want a new Sports Car....I'm leaning toward a new Stingray. However, it that GT350 had a TARGA TOP, i'd be on line for one. I think the GT should come standard with the TARGA. The Stingray does. Oh man and that would drive so many to the car - especially away from that JAP CRAP. If you haven't driven a Corvette with a Targa I suggest you go to a CARMAX or something like it and test drive one. GM has perfected it so much so that after 15 minutes you truly believe you are in a Convertible. This is why so many like it. It is TRULY the best of BOTH worlds. FORD PLEASE LISTEN - Create a Targa Version. I will be customer #1. Even if I get my Stingray. I will gladly sell / give up my RARE Pontiac Solstice for it.

DO IT !! Hell - I'd settle for T-Tops - but do the TARGA !!!
Old 8/15/16, 12:04 PM
GT Member

If Targa tops or T-tops are brought back, lets also bring back the mullet and members only jackets.
Old 8/15/16, 07:59 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Old 2/21/18, 02:50 AM

necrobump. what I'd like is the panoramic glass top like on the benz coupes - fixed but electronically dimmable to opaque course no way I would've been able to buy this car so affordably in that case. isn't corning a US company? we'll be rounding 2020 soon, c'mon mfrs step it up.