2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Targa Top

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/14, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Targa Top

How many of you would be interested in a Targa top option? Drop tops are great but you lose the look of the fastback.I would love to see Ford offer that as an option.I would have one ordered now if that was available...
Old 6/26/14, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by hot4rd
How many of you would be interested in a Targa top option? Drop tops are great but you lose the look of the fastback.I would love to see Ford offer that as an option.I would have one ordered now if that was available...
I'm telling you, wait a year or so. Ford will offer a sliding glass panoramic roof option...
Old 6/26/14, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm telling you, wait a year or so. Ford will offer a sliding glass panoramic roof option...
that would be pretty amazing! Like the MKZ?
Old 6/26/14, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix7
that would be pretty amazing! Like the MKZ?
That is my guess. Ford is going that route on their cars and I can see that taking a little longer to engineer versus a simple Glass Roof, which is why I guess the 2015 wasn't launched with the Glass Roof...
Old 6/26/14, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hot4rd
When the sky is blue and the temp is warm and the top is down, the last thing on your mind is, "D***, this car doesn't look like a fastback."
Old 6/27/14, 04:44 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
When the sky is blue and the temp is warm and the top is down, the last thing on your mind is, "D***, this car doesn't look like a fastback."
Yup....what he said.

Tom
Old 6/27/14, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

The mkz roof looks pretty ugly when open. The roof sits above the back window which would totally ruin the fast back look. Ford would have to really improve the engineering if they were going to make something sleek enough to go in a mustang. I am totally for the retractable glass roof if it retracts into the car rather than above it. I don't want the fast back lines ruined just to get a glass roof.
Attached Thumbnails Targa Top-image-2712494215.jpg   Targa Top-image-830063085.jpg  
Old 6/27/14, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xlover
The mkz roof looks pretty ugly when open. The roof sits above the back window which would totally ruin the fast back look. Ford would have to really improve the engineering if they were going to make something sleek enough to go in a mustang. I am totally for the retractable glass roof if it retracts into the car rather than above it. I don't want the fast back lines ruined just to get a glass roof.
I wonder how many of those are going to still be working in 5 years. It looks like an engineering nightmare, and doesn't give you much more exposure than a large sunroof.

Last edited by IndustryLeech; 6/27/14 at 07:04 AM.
Old 6/27/14, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
I wonder how many of those are going to still be working in 5 years. It looks like an engineering nightmare, and doesn't give you much more exposure than a large sunroof.
I bet if you were to measure the opening you would find it is substantially larger than the opening in just about any other sunroof.

I love the glass roof in my 2011. If they just went with a fixed glass roof again in 2016, that would be fine. If they went with a glass targa top, T-tops, or an MKZ-style extra-large sunroof it would be even better. I don't think it ruins the look of the MKZ, and 95% of the time the roof is closed anyway.
Old 6/27/14, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Whenever they have been asked about a Glass Roof or Sunroof Option being available, every Ford Official has said "Not at the Start" Not No, or Maybe which leads me to believe Ford has something up their sleeve, especially since the Mustang hasn't had a Sun Roof since the early 90's, and Panoramic Glass Roof's are So Popular at the moment. I'm personally expecting a Full Glass Retractable Roof like the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 6/27/14, 09:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
I agree. Whenever they have been asked about a Glass Roof or Sunroof Option being available, every Ford Official has said "Not at the Start" Not No, or Maybe which leads me to believe Ford has something up their sleeve, especially since the Mustang hasn't had a Sun Roof since the early 90's, and Panoramic Glass Roof's are So Popular at the moment. I'm personally expecting a Full Glass Retractable Roof like the Lincoln MKZ.

If it were offered at the start I would've just ordered a 2015. Would've been a much smarter financial decision too, but I am still going to have a decent payment so it's all good lol
Old 6/30/14, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford, if you are listening, do the MKZ style panaramic sunroof and you can have my money!
Old 7/2/14, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd prefer a roof more like the Corvette where the center comes completely out (retaining the fast back look).
Let the hating begin.
Old 7/2/14, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
If they do, like the MKZ, then they MIGHT tempt me to give up my 2012. Might...
Old 7/2/14, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
I'd prefer a roof more like the Corvette where the center comes completely out (retaining the fast back look). Let the hating begin.
I agree with this, I just can't get past the turtle shell look of the mkz with the top open.... This would be more pronounced in the mustang too. I could handle picking the top up and strapping it down in the trunk. My preference would still be a top with an opening like the mkz that retracts into the car

Last edited by xlover; 7/3/14 at 12:35 AM.
Old 7/2/14, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring back T-tops like in the fox bodies!
Old 7/6/14, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
I'd prefer a roof more like the Corvette where the center comes completely out (retaining the fast back look).
Let the hating begin.
I would prefer this as well. I have been in the plant that makes the corvette's roof and it's a very impressive process.
Old 7/8/14, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to see a targa top.
Old 7/8/14, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I would love to see a targa The panoramic sliding moon roof or even the fixed glass roof don't give the same open air feeling. Even if this means beefing up the B pillar and putting a trim similar to the old 911 Targas it would look awesome! T tops look good with the panels in but they always over engineer the frame and when you get done the opening in the top is smaller than an average sun roof with some honking huge support in the middle. Please one of you photoshop gurus do up a '15 with a tarag - panel in and panel off
Old 7/8/14, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
I would love to see a targa The panoramic sliding moon roof or even the fixed glass roof don't give the same open air feeling. Even if this means beefing up the B pillar and putting a trim similar to the old 911 Targas it would look awesome! T tops look good with the panels in but they always over engineer the frame and when you get done the opening in the top is smaller than an average sun roof with some honking huge support in the middle. Please one of you photoshop gurus do up a '15 with a tarag - panel in and panel off
My Glass Roof may not have the "open air" feeling that a Targa does, but it certainly brings needed light into the cabin. I wish it opened, but I love it as is too. It makes me feel like a pilot, something that I always wanted to be as a kid!
The following users liked this post:
5.0-50A (2/21/18)

Quick Reply: Targa Top