2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Steeda saying 2015 gained 2-300 pounds...R&T says not as much

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/14, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I agree and kudos to those that get to enjoy this new low budget sport coupe, although the 2014 is still a great car in itself. I was somewhat suprized at the slight increase in price from the current stang. Definitely a bang for the buck!
Absolutely! Im thinking in a few years when the SVT S550's are released i might have to trade the 14 in for that! Ive always valued bang for the buck which is why Ford will continue to get my money as they build some of the fines automobiles that can be had for there price! Oh and i agree the 2014 is an awesome Mustang that can easily hang with cars nearly twice its price range, i love mine :-)
Old 6/1/14, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This is why I rushed and ordered a 2014. One the Looks of the 2015 and IRS adds weight and complexity. It will take them a few years a least to get the IRS strong enough and that will add weight as well. The other cars have been threw this already...

So I am betting this is true.
Old 6/1/14, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just keep in mind that Ford is promising the GT is going to be faster around the track than the BOSS. So even with the added weight performance still there.
Old 6/1/14, 11:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
irs is heavy

Maybe not as much as you think. The IRS in the Terminator was 85 or so pounds heavier than the live axle in the GT and this was a less than optimal design. The difference in weight might not be as much in the '15 IRS and could be as little as 40-50 pounds.

Heavier yes, but it probably isn't accounting for the lion's share of the new car's supposed 200-300 pounds of extra flab.
Old 6/1/14, 11:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If this is true... and considering that there is A LOT of speculation that the 2015 V6 model will have slightly less power & torque than the 2014 V6, that's not going to be great... i get why their doing it but... still. yeah - Ecoboost is going to have slight better performance figures (so its been said) but, that's going to come with a heftier price tag for sure.

This is going to be interesting! this is just making the 2014 special order V6 all that much more appealing to me!
Old 6/2/14, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
Maybe not as much as you think. The IRS in the Terminator was 85 or so pounds heavier than the live axle in the GT and this was a less than optimal design. The difference in weight might not be as much in the '15 IRS and could be as little as 40-50 pounds. Heavier yes, but it probably isn't accounting for the lion's share of the new car's supposed 200-300 pounds of extra flab.
These guys installed a cobra IRS on a Fox body Mustang and only gained 48 pounds (8:20 into the video).

Old 6/2/14, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While their might be a modest gain in overall system weight in an IRS, there's an immense reduction in weight where it really matters: the unsprung weight, which allows it to be far more responsive in dealing with road irregularities. I, too, suspect the IRS will only amount to a minor fraction of any rumoured weight increase and is a well worthwhile one at that.

I also suspect Ford will make dang sure it's bulletproof too, knowing full well the intense scrutiny this aspect will come under.

We can already ascertain it's dead steady from the line lock video, even with a big drop clutch burnout that would have had even a few SRAs trying to stitch itself to the Tarmac.
Old 6/2/14, 01:53 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
We can already ascertain it's dead steady from the line lock video, even with a big drop clutch burnout that would have had even a few SRAs trying to stitch itself to the Tarmac.
You've said that before about wheel hop but I think you're wrong here.

Locking the front wheels and breaking the rears loose - to spin free - makes it easy to avoid wheel hop.
In stark contrast to not having the front wheels locked and the rear wheels constantly trying to grip the pavement as they move the car forward. Apples and oranges comparison.
Just like the Challenger and Camaro IRS are fighting wheel hop.
Old 6/2/14, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
IRS is typically worth the weight penalty...
...but an overal increase in weight after months of speculation prior to the reveal about a smaller/lighter car makes this really sting.

Ford: everyone else is getting lighter. What the crap?
Old 6/2/14, 05:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I've read it's 200 pounds lighter too. Let us not jump to conclusions just yet.

I'm not saying Steeda's wrong or whatever... just sayin', official, out on the street, numbers are important.

For all we know, Steeda's being asked to tell a lil' fib so as to surprise the enemy.
I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 6/2/14, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
You've said that before about wheel hop but I think you're wrong here.

Locking the front wheels and breaking the rears loose - to spin free - makes it easy to avoid wheel hop.
In stark contrast to not having the front wheels locked and the rear wheels constantly trying to grip the pavement as they move the car forward. Apples and oranges comparison.
Just like the Challenger and Camaro IRS are fighting wheel hop.
True, line lock on a billiards-table-smooth road is not the toughest of tests. At least it bodes well until we see some actual, real-world stop-light/drag-strip runs. One advantage the Stang's clean sheet IRS might have over the sedan-adopted designs from GM/Dodge is that it could be tailored much more specifically for hi-po uses whereas the aforementioned designs had to also accommodate more pedestrian consideration of a sedan, i.e., don't bounce baby off the headliner.

As for the weight trade offs for an IRS, I'd readily take an overall 50-100lb weight increase if it means an unsprung weight reduction of the same amount. With my apologies to drag racers, all weight is not equal, shaving a few ounces off, say, valve train weight would be much more impactful than adding a few pounds to the block weight.

Last edited by rhumb; 6/2/14 at 05:08 PM.
Old 6/2/14, 07:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry... I had the Meme generator up

I really don't care if it gains a bit of weight.
Ford will do what they need to, to get the girl to run. That, I have no doubt. period.

The sky, is NOT falling.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Boomer; 6/2/14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 6/2/14, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Lol
Old 6/2/14, 08:03 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry... I had the Meme generator up I really don't care if it gains a bit of weight. Ford will do what they need to, to get the girl to run. That, I have no doubt. period. The sky, is NOT falling.
Yes, and nothing is forsure yet!
Old 6/2/14, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
This has made my mega-Mustang poundage Monday
Old 6/2/14, 08:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Seeing that pic made me not want to eat this second slice of pizza in front of me.
Old 6/2/14, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

I'm so dossapointed
Old 6/2/14, 10:59 AM
GT Member

I like how even though Steeda has a 2015 car to work with they don't give any specifics, just the same "200-300lbs heavier" line that has been floating around the internet for a while. Of course they have lightweight solutions to that...

Not believing anything (whether it's heavier or lighter) until the production car is in car mags hands and full specs are revealed. I don't care what any internet posters "in the know" think either. It's just more speculation. Besides, the most important thing will be how it drives and performs. Godzilla is a pig and it's a pretty damned formidable car.
Old 6/2/14, 12:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...?src=soc_fcbks

2014 car.
V6/Eco4 -> 50 to 70 pounds more
GT Base -> 170 pounds more
GT Premium -> Up to 250lbs more

If it can perform, I can totally live with that.

Interested to see the other challengers (pun intended) in the future.
Things generally don't get lighter without forking over major money. This is just reality.

Last edited by Boomer; 6/2/14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 6/2/14, 12:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steeda admitted to estimating the weight

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...&postcount=591

"Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be."

Nice - way to go

Quick Reply: Steeda saying 2015 gained 2-300 pounds...R&T says not as much