2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

State Farm Drive Safe and Save - Not so much

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/15, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it looks like I have yelled enough to get things going. State Farm said not all Mustangs have Sync and they have no way to know which do and which do not. Also people could have Mustangs of approximately the same price with one having Sync and one not.

The reality is all Mustangs have Sync. The base V6, Ecoboost, and GT have Sync Gen 1 which cannot generate a Vehicle Health REPORT (VHR). The premium Ecoboost and GT have Sync Gen 3 which can generate a VHR. This is because they have MyFordTouch. This can also be identified by the VIN and as we all know, the premium package lists for $4000 more than the base.

A person with State Farm here in Georgia is going to prepare a report for the folks in the main office to see if he can get the decision to not allow the Mustang to submit a VHR report reversed. Also a complaint has been filed with the Georgia Department of Insurance to see if this exclusion is legal. This could have an impact on five 2015 Ford models where State Farm has said they will not accept Sync and VHR.

Also no more comments about which insurance company is better or worse.
Old 4/17/15, 03:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 15BluStang
...The reality is all Mustangs have Sync. The base V6, Ecoboost, and GT have Sync Gen 1 which cannot generate a Vehicle Health REPORT (VHR).
Hmmm. When did Gen 1 end? My 2010 Taurus pestered me regularly about whether or not I wanted to run VHR (despite my having VHR 'turned off').
Old 4/21/15, 06:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My privacy vs State Farm (and I have been with S/F since 1990) is worth more than $100 per year. To me, it is priceless.

I wouldn't give those guys any more than is absolutely required - ever - to save a dollar or a thousand. Like someone else said, I wouldn't use InDrive if it made my insurance FREE.
Old 4/21/15, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Hmmm. When did Gen 1 end? My 2010 Taurus pestered me regularly about whether or not I wanted to run VHR (despite my having VHR 'turned off').
I don't think Gen 1 ended. It looks like Gen 1 is Sync without MyFordTouch. Gen 3 is the Sync built into MyFordTouch. I would think Gen 2 is the Sync built into MyFordTouch when it was first released. When I got my Focus with MFT, it was version 2 of MFT. Over the years they update MFT so now it is at version 3.6.
Old 4/22/15, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think Gen 1 ended. It looks like Gen 1 is Sync without MyFordTouch. Gen 3 is the Sync built into MyFordTouch. I would think Gen 2 is the Sync built into MyFordTouch when it was first released. When I got my Focus with MFT, it was version 2 of MFT. Over the years they update MFT so now it is at version 3.6.
My comment was in response to the suggestion that Gen 1 was incapable of generating the VHR. It may well have been unable... but it sure as hell tried to... often in my Taurus.
Old 4/23/15, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Well it looks like I have yelled enough to get things going. State Farm said not all Mustangs have Sync and they have no way to know which do and which do not. Also people could have Mustangs of approximately the same price with one having Sync and one not.

The reality is all Mustangs have Sync. The base V6, Ecoboost, and GT have Sync Gen 1 which cannot generate a Vehicle Health REPORT (VHR). The premium Ecoboost and GT have Sync Gen 3 which can generate a VHR. This is because they have MyFordTouch. This can also be identified by the VIN and as we all know, the premium package lists for $4000 more than the base.

A person with State Farm here in Georgia is going to prepare a report for the folks in the main office to see if he can get the decision to not allow the Mustang to submit a VHR report reversed. Also a complaint has been filed with the Georgia Department of Insurance to see if this exclusion is legal. This could have an impact on five 2015 Ford models where State Farm has said they will not accept Sync and VHR.

Also no more comments about which insurance company is better or worse.

That's scary. $100, $200 heck $300 a year off isn't enough for the amount of privacy you're giving up.

I'm paying the same right now for my new 2014 mustang as I did for my new 2011 Elantra, so I'm happy about that!
Old 7/23/15, 05:03 PM
GT Member

Update:

2015 Mustangs that can produce the Vehicle Health Report using Ford Sync are now eligible for the Drive Safe and Save program. Looks like they got things worked out.
Old 7/23/15, 11:04 PM
V6 Member

Im fairly young at 23 no dings on my record and State Farm has my rate at $175 a month for $500 deductible on both collision and act of god (hail, trees,deer) I have made only one claim in 7 years with them when i hit a deer at 18. I shopped around because i new the GT would absolutely rape me with my age and no one even came close to that price most were over $200 a month. I could get as low as $100 a month but with little coverage limits. And i have full coverage for my aftermarket hood and such which most companies won't touch or if they do its a ridiculous add on. Ive been very happy with them so far.
Old 7/24/15, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
Im fairly young at 23 no dings on my record and State Farm has my rate at $175 a month for $500 deductible on both collision and act of god (hail, trees,deer) I have made only one claim in 7 years with them when i hit a deer at 18. I shopped around because i new the GT would absolutely rape me with my age and no one even came close to that price most were over $200 a month. I could get as low as $100 a month but with little coverage limits. And i have full coverage for my aftermarket hood and such which most companies won't touch or if they do its a ridiculous add on. Ive been very happy with them so far.

You're under 25 and I presume a male, if your not married its even worse.

Once you hit the 25 year mark you will magically become a resposible driver and your ins will reflect that. Until then just take comfort in the fact that we all had to go through that once...look at it as a right of passage...
Old 7/24/15, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79

Once you hit the 25 year mark you will magically become a resposible driver and your ins will reflect that. Until then just take comfort in the fact that we all had to go through that once...look at it as a right of passage...
In 1992 (I was 34, single, no tickets or accidents), I moved to Indiana and when I looked for car insurance, every place I called gave me a quote and said to call State Farm. A year prior to that I was working for Aetna, had car insurance with Aetna, and they sent me a cancellation notice because the did not want to insure my Grand Am GT with the Quad 4 engine. Only because I had Aetna auto insurance prior to being employed with them, they decide not to cancel. Depending on insurance company, you can be considered irresponsible just based on the car you drive.
Old 7/24/15, 10:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79

Yep, they screw you when you're under 25 and single. I was 24 in early 1990 and had a 1990 Probe GT with the 2.2 turbo. Very quick for it's day and I was paying about $700 every 6 months with a clean driving record.

Well, being young and foolish, I racked up three speeding tickets in one month (# 2 was on the way home from traffic court for #1). I turned 25 before the next premium was due. When the bill came, I obviously lost my safe driving discount, but my bill dropped to a little over $500 for 6 months.

So, 24 with a clean record costs more than 25 with tickets galore.
Old 7/27/15, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
We have enough intrusion by the feds. The last thing I'd ever allow is a private company reading my cars thoughts....no matter how good the savings.
This x9,001.
Old 7/27/15, 10:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
This x9,001.
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!!!!!
Old 9/11/17, 05:51 AM

So my 2016 Mustang does not have the Vehicle Health Report feature (even though my 2014 CMax does). Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade Sync just to get the Vehicle Report Feature since it only reports mileage to State Farm? And what it costs to do this?
Old 9/14/17, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is your "Credit score" and then there is your "Insurance Credit Score" You never see your Insurance credit score unless you have Credit Karma. The two are worlds apart in terms of scores. If you have had ANY accidents, If you were even a passenger in a car that was hit but someone else and Geico didn't pay anything you can still be denied insurance because your insurance score will tell them that your chances of just being in an accident is high and will scare them away. A friend of mine was in an accident. He was a passenger in a car that was T-boned when the other car ran a red light. He was in a coma for a week and a neck brace for 6 months. The accident was paid out by the other drivers insurance (State Farm) but my friend had Geico. Geico refused to renew his policy because they stated and I quote " The chances of you being involved in an accident is very high" That is the one reason I will never get Geico. I have had State Farm for my Motorcycle for 5 years now and my rate has never changed.

https://www.creditkarma.com/question...nsurance-score

Last edited by Dr Plastic; 9/14/17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 9/15/17, 10:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by knahs
So my 2016 Mustang does not have the Vehicle Health Report feature (even though my 2014 CMax does). Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade Sync just to get the Vehicle Report Feature since it only reports mileage to State Farm? And what it costs to do this?
I just replaced my MFT screen and APIM in my 2015 Mustang with the Sync 3 screen and APIM. After much searching, I found Sync 3 does not have a VHR report option except for a few vehicles. I just had to let my agent know he had to remove that from my policy. Sync 3 is so much better than MFT that I would rather have Sync 3 than the discount.
Old 9/16/17, 11:54 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
I had State Farm with a clean driving record and it still went up year after year after...
Old 9/16/17, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I just replaced my MFT screen and APIM in my 2015 Mustang with the Sync 3 screen and APIM. After much searching, I found Sync 3 does not have a VHR report option except for a few vehicles. I just had to let my agent know he had to remove that from my policy. Sync 3 is so much better than MFT that I would rather have Sync 3 than the discount.
This is doable and everything works?? Ah man if so, I can actually look at 2015 Fords and limit myself to 2016-2017s!
Old 9/17/17, 03:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I had State Farm with a clean driving record and it still went up year after year after...
After many years with State Farm and the rates going up a little with every storm that hit America, I changed to Allstate a year and a half ago. Lower rates and haven't increased any............yet
Old 9/17/17, 02:39 PM

So for laserred38 - how much did it cost to replace with Sync 3?

Quick Reply: State Farm Drive Safe and Save - Not so much