2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

State Farm Drive Safe and Save - Not so much

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/15, 01:43 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
State Farm Drive Safe and Save - Not so much

When I drove my 2012 Focus, I got a discount through State Farm for reporting my mileage through Vehicle Health Reports (Drive Safe and Save). I got a discount since I put on less mileage than average. According to State Farm because not all 2015 Mustangs can send Vehicle Health Reports, State Farm decided that they would not offer the discount using Sync on ANY 2015 Mustangs. To get the discount you have to an IN-DRIVE device that tracks all kinds of information on how you drive, where you drive, and when you drive. That really sucks because I got about $100 year discount. And I am not going to use IN-DRIVE.

Old 4/1/15, 02:50 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
We have enough intrusion by the feds. The last thing I'd ever allow is a private company reading my cars thoughts....no matter how good the savings.
Old 4/1/15, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
We have enough intrusion by the feds. The last thing I'd ever allow is a private company reading my cars thoughts....no matter how good the savings.
I agree. I do not mind simply reporting the mileage since that is all Sync does. But In-Drive is a no go with what they report.
Old 4/1/15, 06:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I wouldn't use InDrive even if it made my insurance free.
Old 4/2/15, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I switched to Geico and saved 15% or more on my car insurance. Really.
Old 4/2/15, 06:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AUBStang
Lol me too! No joke
Old 4/2/15, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have state farm now and have had them for 10 years no accidents never called them for anything but every month they go up $5.00 to $10.00. So I think that I will give Geico a call too..
Old 4/2/15, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, insurance takes money they don't give money.
Old 4/2/15, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cleangraystang
I have state farm now and have had them for 10 years no accidents never called them for anything but every month they go up $5.00 to $10.00. So I think that I will give Geico a call too..
this is intentional on how they operate, I tried to get a policy (after not driving for a few years) they wanted over $700 just to start my policy and all that jazz...they said I was a "unknown risk and that they are unable to look up my past records" (total BS)

so I switched to geico and I am at this time paying only $47 a month and its projected to go down....YAY!!!
Old 4/2/15, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AUBStang
I applied for Geico with a credit score of 730 and got denied for bad credit. NO JOKE! If they can do that I don't want them as my insurance company.
Old 4/2/15, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pebkac
I applied for Geico with a credit score of 730 and got denied for bad credit. NO JOKE! If they can do that I don't want them as my insurance company.
wow something is really messed up there, I don't have perfict credit and I still got Geico....call them up and see if you can find out why they denied you at a 730.....that is a bit strange...
Old 4/2/15, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I had State Farm and got a really big safe driver discount. Kids with good grades even bigger. In the local news they did a segment that if you use a device in the car the insurance company even if driving really safe could really raise your rates based on the accelerometer in the car.It's nuts I would never use one.
Old 4/2/15, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I work for an agent for one of the larger insurance companies that offers those devices. We cannot use the data against you to charge you more money. The worse they can do is take away an discounts for unsafe driving. Most companies are the same way.

Also sorry to burst your bubble guys but no matter how important you think you are the insurance company isn't tracking exactly where you are going and what you are doing. They don't care. Its more about braking distance, speed, and how much you are driving. Outliers are the one more likely to be in an accident. That's it.
Old 4/3/15, 07:46 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Applied? I called and got a quote in like 5 minutes.
Old 4/3/15, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You shure you didn't go to a bank drunk and thought you going to get insurance?
What does your credit got to do with car insurance.
Old 4/3/15, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
You shure you didn't go to a bank drunk and thought you going to get insurance? What does your credit got to do with car insurance.
It's a bill you have to pay on time, and they need to know you're going to a) have at least your deductible and b) that you're trustworthy enough to not run from the scene of an accident. Their liability has everything to do with your credit (literally and figuratively).
Old 4/3/15, 08:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14

Just wait... In the future, this will become a default thing for all insurance companies, and if you choose to not use the device or use vehicle health reports, you will just pay a penalty or additional premium. Then just wait until self-driving cars become the standard. If you choose to drive a non-self driving car, you will pay an additional premium or penalty because it is "less safe". Mark my words!! Just like how older cars without airbags can cost more to insure. All of it will be justified with "making the cost of insurance less for the general public and increasing the safety on our roads." The government can't force you to put a tracking device on your car, but a private business like an insurance company can tell you to do it or face additional fees. They'll have us by the ***** in no time.

/rant
Old 4/3/15, 08:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Applied? I called and got a quote in like 5 minutes.
"I saved more than that in HALF the time!"
Old 4/3/15, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Just wait... In the future, this will become a default thing for all insurance companies, and if you choose to not use the device or use vehicle health reports, you will just pay a penalty or additional premium. Then just wait until self-driving cars become the standard. If you choose to drive a non-self driving car, you will pay an additional premium or penalty because it is "less safe". Mark my words!! Just like how older cars without airbags can cost more to insure. All of it will be justified with "making the cost of insurance less for the general public and increasing the safety on our roads." The government can't force you to put a tracking device on your car, but a private business like an insurance company can tell you to do it or face additional fees. They'll have us by the ***** in no time.

/rant

well I guess I have a good situation for my self, as I wouldn't have to keep the device IN my car (plus why would I want it to drain the battery?) but hey I have access to another car that very rarely moves at all...so even if I had to use one of those things...I could just leave it in the car that sits and we don't drive very often...(thankfully I don't have to drive much anyways)
Old 4/3/15, 09:01 AM
GT Member

I learned it is not just about what you pay for insurance in 2007. I was t-boned in my six month old 2007 Mustang. Both the tow truck driver and the collision shop told me the same thing. Go through my State Farm policy rather than the at fault driver's Progressive policy. State Farm would require repair with Ford parts and Progressive would require repair with OEM parts when available.

Quick Reply: State Farm Drive Safe and Save - Not so much