2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/11, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you guys. I even branch out and think that even if worst case scenario, they pull a GTO on us, I'll buy it. And probably like or love it anyway. Mustang won't step away from this high of a performance mark set by the current gen. So I agree, I think it can only get better from here.
Old 3/25/11, 05:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw an Audi A5 coupe today and I must say that it is one sexy beast. It kind of made me think of an interesting take on what the next stang could be like. I think its about a good 5 inches shorter than the current stang and about as wide and tall. Anyone have any first hand expereince with how the interoir dimensions compare to the stang.
Old 3/27/11, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Patio218
I saw an Audi A5 coupe today and I must say that it is one sexy beast. It kind of made me think of an interesting take on what the next stang could be like. I think its about a good 5 inches shorter than the current stang and about as wide and tall. Anyone have any first hand expereince with how the interoir dimensions compare to the stang.
I made a thread requesting somebody merge an Audi a5 with a mustang to see how it would look
Old 3/28/11, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thestang
I made a thread requesting somebody merge an Audi a5 with a mustang to see how it would look
I just don't think anyone on this site is having it. Sorry. I like the A5 a lot, but as its own car, not as a mesh with another. Many people have a problem with the butt end of the Mustang as is, no need to put a slab-o-*** bumper cover like that one on. Just my opinion really. I also like Porsche hind quarters but I don't want to see it on a Mustang.
Old 3/29/11, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Ford would be nuts to lose the V8 out of the "GT" model, just like they would be nuts to try and "conform" the car to succeed in Europe. A big thing that's made the 2005-Present Mustangs a huge success in a very bad time for the automotive industry is the fact that it was unique.

Sure, it may not be the most fuel efficient, or the fastest on a road course, or the highest quality, or the best bang for the buck, but people bought it because it was basically unlike anything on the market, and only recently have they faced competition from the Camaro/Challenger.

Another good comparable (at least IMO) would be the SVT Raptor. Personally, I don't know anyone that needs to be able to jump their pickup truck 15 feet in the air. However, I do know quite a few people, most of whom have no need for a pickup truck) that would love to buy the SVT Raptor, because it's unlike anything else out there. The fact that it's unique has allowed them to charge what is basically a 50% premium over a top-of-the-line F150 and sell every one of them. Also take a look at the Ford GT, which many dealers were able to charge a massive premium for (while they still hold their value).

Trying to compete in the primary segments with the hope of outperforming 10 other manufacturers will problably be a losing proposition in the long run. Car companies need to be able to leverage their niche markets, where they face much weaker competition. Of course, the "gravy train", where they could throw bigger superchargers on Mustangs and double the price has problably slowed down for Ford with the introduction of the Camaro, but I like Ford's chances of outduelling the Camaro a lot more than I like their chances of outduelling all of the europeans and japanesse sports cars.

Make it a little smaller & lighter?? Sure. Go to the IRS? Absolutely. Continue to refine the "touch surfaces" of the car? definitely. However, they have to keep the Mustang a pony car... which means a big v8 engine, and rear drive.

For the people that talk about the A5 in this thread -- I think Audi absolutely hit the mark when they designed that car, especially the S5 version. However, I also don't think it sells as well as it should, because it's a space where they traditionally haven't played. The BMW M3 is the longstanding market leader in that segment, and it would've taken something more outlandish to dethrone them. IMO, they should've stuffed the V10 from the R8 into the S5, have that be the primary seller, and create the image for Audi as a true performance leader.

As somebody else mentioned about the Nissan GT-R -- it's a ridiculously fast car, I know somebody who has one and he's pushing close to 700hp IIRC. However, once you get in it, it basically feels like a relatively basic japanesse upscale coupe. There's some people who want that feeling, and there's some that want the american pony car. The Mustang does an extremely effective job of satisfying that latter group.

In terms of gas prices -- they'll continue to go up and up. That's generally how inflation works. There were people who couldn't afford to run a v8 when gas jumped over $2/gallon, there were people who couldn't afford to run a v8 when gas jumped over $3/gallon, there were people who couldn't afford to run a v8 when gas jumped over $4/gallon, but at the end of the day there will always be a market for people who want to go fast and are willing to pay the price at the pump.

Last edited by friedmaster; 3/29/11 at 10:46 PM.
Old 3/29/11, 11:04 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
Trying to compete in the primary segments with the hope of outperforming 10 other manufacturers will problably be a losing proposition in the long run. Car companies need to be able to leverage their niche markets, where they face much weaker competition.
much truth spoken here.
Old 3/30/11, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
much truth spoken here.
Exactly... take a car like the Focus for example. Sure, the compact sedan market is huge, but there's also a ton of players, and they're basically all producing the same product spending millions to try and outdo each other with 1 small unique feature, only to have that feature become copied (with much smaller development cost) within a year or two.

Objectively, I don't see any reason for anyone to buy a Focus over a Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic, Kia Forte, Mazda 3, Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla. These manufacturers basically aren't even creating cars for specific customers, instead choosing to create cars simply to compete with each other. You're either going to have to try to beat them on price (a business you should never want to engage in) or on spending (like Chevrolet has done with the Cruze, at least here in Canada).

With the Mustang, Ford has a unique opportunity where realistically, only Chevrolet can compete with them.
Old 3/30/11, 01:56 PM
V6 Member

I agree with you Friendmaster, the Mustang is not an Audi nor should it try to be. I only mentioned the A5 because it captures some of the spirit of the Mustang in my opinoin. However I understand it's far to European and upmarket to be a Mustang. All I'm saying is the next generation has to evolve on some levels to be a modern car.
Old 3/30/11, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Patio218
I agree with you Friendmaster, the Mustang is not an Audi nor should it try to be. I only mentioned the A5 because it captures some of the spirit of the Mustang in my opinoin. However I understand it's far to European and upmarket to be a Mustang. All I'm saying is the next generation has to evolve on some levels to be a modern car.
The A5/S5 definitely captures some of the spirit of the mustang, but at over twice the price with significantly less horsepower, I don't think the Mustang needs to compete with it. Realistically, the A5 is nothing more than an A6 with a couple of styling cues taken from american muscle cars.

They do need to continue modernizing, but they can't get away from the essence of what a mustang is. They just need to continue doing a better job of executing it.
Old 3/31/11, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Automagically

I just don't think anyone on this site is having it. Sorry. I like the A5 a lot, but as its own car, not as a mesh with another. Many people have a problem with the butt end of the Mustang as is, no need to put a slab-o-*** bumper cover like that one on. Just my opinion really. I also like Porsche hind quarters but I don't want to see it on a Mustang.
The a5 already copies American muscle cars...I just want to see the rear end smoother and more aesthetically pleasing the rest is perfect
Old 4/3/11, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I would certainly buy a new Mustang if it was V8 powered and close to the size of the 1990 Fox Mustang. If independent rear suspension was standard, I would most likely buy as many previous model year Mustangs as I could afford and save them for driving the rest of my driving days.
Old 4/17/11, 09:16 PM

This would include the IRS, as well as additional gadgets that might be added in. Power to weight would be up a bit, and handling would improve. Seems like a win-win for enthusiasts.
Old 4/18/11, 01:15 AM
Cobra Member

I like the idea of a smaller Mustang. My Fox chassis Mustangs seam to be the right size to me. I am not a fan of an independent rear suspension, so I will most likey buy a 2012 GT500 and trade it in for a new GT500 or Boss untill Ford puts IRS in the Mustang. I wll keep the last non IRS Mustang and be done buying Mustangs.
Old 4/18/11, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Didn't a Mustang run extremly well against an M3 on a road course???? So what's the big deal about IRS??? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 4/18/11, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jlc41
Didn't a Mustang run extremly well against an M3 on a road course???? So what's the big deal about IRS??? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Neither was the 4.6, but nobody seems to be griping that Ford put a new 5.0 in the Stang.

Yes, the SRA does very well and is probably one of the best live axle suspensions ever made, probably representing the peak of live axle development in an affordable production car. Obviously the SRA ain't broken, but in this ever more competitive pony car market, even (very) good enough simply won't be good enough. If the new 3.7 and 5.0 motors indicate, Ford has shed it's good enough mantra that saddled the Stang up until recently, being replaced by a commitment to world beating excellence.

For the NextStang to go to the next level ride and handling excellence, an IRS would be needed, not only to boost peak performance on specific measures but more so, to improve suspension performance in all measures. A live axle can be made to excel at very specific things but at a much greater compromise to the other ride/handling elements while a well-developed IRS will broaden the whole performance envelope.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/18/11 at 03:09 PM.
Old 4/18/11, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

On my window sticker, it clearly says that the Mustang I am buying is a Sports Car. Now, if it were just a pony or a muscle car, it would not have to handle as well or be as good all around. It is fine if the Mustang goes head to head with the best sports cars out there, but holding on to SRA is not realistic if a good live axle can be found. Quarter mile races are just one use for this car. Being able to do that is essential, but as good as the Mustang is, it can even be better for the redesign in 2014/15. Better would be more like a true sports car, not like an overpowered quarter mile dragster that cannot turn well. Loads of power are great, but only to the point where the added weight does not get in the way of great handling.
Old 4/19/11, 01:38 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

If you go over a speed bump fast enough, both rear wheels are still going to come off the ground with an IRS. I hope IRS is offered as an option on future Mustangs. I do not want a rearend that increases the weight of the car. Usually IRS cars have a noticeable camber to the rear wheels. I would think the camber would cause the rear tires to wear quicker.
Old 4/19/11, 10:17 AM

Yes, but while a live axle might take flight at a mere 30 mph, a good IRS might stay connected to Mother Earth at 50mph and touch down far more quickly when it is eventually bucked off the tarmac.

A well designed IRS can limit any overall weight gain but far more critically for vehicle performance, it hugely reduces a suspension's unsprung weight.

As for camber, that can be set up to be whatever is most beneficial, whether for performance/grip, tire wear or some compromise between the two.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/19/11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 4/19/11, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

IRS

Originally Posted by rhumb
Yes, but while a live axle might take flight at a mere 30 mph, a good IRS might stay connected to Mother Earth at 50mph and touch down far more quickly when it is eventually bucked off the tarmac.

A well designed IRS can limit any overall weight gain but far more critically for vehicle performance, it hugely reduces a suspension's unsprung weight.

As for camber, that can be set up to be whatever is most beneficial, whether for performance/grip, tire wear or some compromise between the two.
Good points, however it will most likely add weight and who knows how much $$$ to the cost of a car the basically holds it's own as is, let alone the percentage of folks who road vs drag race it.
Old 4/19/11, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

My car pulls 1g on the skid pad stock, I don't think irs would help much more than that.

Quick Reply: A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension