A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/10, 07:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension

http://mustangs.about.com/b/2010/01/...suspension.htm

It all started with a recent Motor Trend article titled Scoop! Next Ford Mustang Going Global. According to the article, the Mustang might be sold globally in 2014. Since CEO Alan Mulally said Ford can't afford to build cars specific to any one country, folks predict the new Mustang would need to be built to compete with European vehicles. This has me thinking back to the Third Generation launch with its European styling cues.
Of note, they say the car would have an independent rear suspension (IRS). They also predict Ford will take the next generation Mustang in one of three directions:
  • A Mustang very similar to what we have today with IRS and Rear Wheel Drive
  • An M3-styled Sedan with a Turbocharged V-6 Engine (Possibly the Ecoboost?)
  • A high-performance Nissan GT-R Style Coupe
Old 11/1/10, 08:06 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High-performance GT-R Style Coupe?

sounds like a load of....
Old 11/1/10, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

How about a high-performance Mustang very similar to what we have today with IRS and Rear Wheel Drive with an optional Turbocharged V-6 Engine (Possibly the Ecoboost?)?
Old 11/1/10, 08:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't see the V8 going anywhere in the GT.
We'll probably see the base car getting more efficient though.
Old 11/1/10, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

keep the turbo V6 idea but scratch the sedan idea please!
Old 11/1/10, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
Kinda what I've been thinking for some time now. I think we'll see a car that is a little smaller and lighter than the current platform, has IRS, a DI version of the current engine with a power bump that may not be that big, maybe around 430-440ish, but will be more efficient, if only because it will have to be. I for one can't wait to see what they can come up with.
Old 11/1/10, 09:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Hope you're right. No way I'd buy a new one without the V8.

Originally Posted by Red Jay
keep the turbo V6 idea but scratch the sedan idea please!
Sedan = major failure. I remember a few years ago when there were rumors of a sedan. This place literally exploded with mass anger.
Old 11/1/10, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got no problems if Ford wants to make a 4-door sedan out of the new Mustang platform. Just don't call it a Mustang.

I'd love to see a smaller, lighter Mustang with an IRS in 2014, say 3200 lbs, about 12" shorter than the current one, but it definitely needs a V8 option.
Old 11/1/10, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think a RWD light nimble V8 sedan could definitely be built on the same platform but have different body work and not be called a mustang but share most of the internals and chassis. BMW has done this for years with the 3 series and not even had to change the name, the M3 is shares the same platform with the soccer mom 328xi wagon.
Old 11/1/10, 09:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think that author might have intended to use the word "coupe" but it came out sedan, or he doesn't know the distinction.

He's just pulling info stuff a bunch of websites/msg boards and throwing it into an article, so I wouldn't take any of this as gospel. An no, I don't expect the V8 to go anywhere either. Ford's F-150 engine lineup shows that at least for the near future the TTV6 will be offered alongside the 5L V8 where practical.

I would not, however, rule out a high-performance TTV6-only Lincoln based on the next Mustang.
Old 11/2/10, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think folks may be taking May's quote further than May's intended. May's approach to any form of retro styling has been pretty conservative, so 'completely different' to him could easily mean the kind of evolutionary difference you see between an Aston Martin DB4 and the Aston Martin DB9 the latter of which is very obviously related to the former.

We know it will be at least a little smaller, we know it will be meaningfully lighter, we know the car will continue to offer a V-8, and we can be almost certain it will sprout an IRS. A Nissan GT-R like coupe? As Jason already indicated that is so far out in left field it isn't even worth talking about.

As for a TT V-6, here I agree with Pete and Moosetang...I don't see the V-8 going anywhere anytime soon and, even more, there is no reason for it to leave. Drop the GT's weight by 300lb, add direct injection and, even with 450hp, you would have an easy mid 12 second car that probably knocks down close to a 30mpg highway rating. Not everything has to get 40mpg, and I think the Mustang GT will get a pass if anything does.
Old 11/2/10, 09:48 AM
I Have No Life

If there was anything V8/sedan related, I'd think it would be falcon.
Whether its offered here or not, or the goals can be achieved by each vehicle without many compromises by sharing.
Even if they share many components would help save costs over the long haul.
(engines/tranny setup etc)

Ford knows that people want a V8 in the Mustang. Mustang GT=V8
I doubt we'll see a turbo 6 in the Mustang at all. I don't see the point.
While it could be a force to be wreckoned with, its not an 8, and its not going to satisfy the V8 crowd.
Seeing as the power levels would overlap, and it would be more expensive to offer 2 engines that essentially cover the same area, is not worth it.

Entry level is a different beast.
If it were replaced with a high HP I-4 or something, I doubt we'd see 'base mustang enthusiasts' clammering for their 'V6'
Old 11/2/10, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

If it were replaced with a high HP I-4 or something, I doubt we'd see 'base mustang enthusiasts' clammering for their 'V6'
Agreed. In fact, I believe that the 'secretaries car/rental car' reputation the V-6 Mustang has garnered over the years is hurting sales of a 2011 V-6 model with very impressive performance numbers. I suspect a turbo four generating similar numbers would be taken much more seriously.
Old 11/2/10, 09:59 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Agreed. In fact, I believe that the 'secretaries car/rental car' reputation the V-6 Mustang has garnered over the years is hurting sales of a 2011 V-6 model with very impressive performance numbers. I suspect a turbo four generating similar numbers would be taken much more seriously.
You might be on to something here. It would certainly snag its fair share of import sales based solely on the fact of having a turbo 4
Old 11/2/10, 11:12 AM
GTR Member

I don't think we'll see as drastic a weight loss as some have hoped for. I could see a 3450-3500lb coupe with 450+ hp being a reasonable target for Ford engineers to hit. This would include the IRS, as well as additional gadgets that might be added in. Power to weight would be up a bit, and handling would improve. Seems like a win-win for enthusiasts.
Old 11/2/10, 01:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Lots of very sensible, level-headed thoughts here, chaps. I agree completely

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I think folks may be taking May's quote further than May's intended. May's approach to any form of retro styling has been pretty conservative, so 'completely different' to him could easily mean the kind of evolutionary difference you see between an Aston Martin DB4 and the Aston Martin DB9 the latter of which is very obviously related to the former.

We know it will be at least a little smaller, we know it will be meaningfully lighter, we know the car will continue to offer a V-8, and we can be almost certain it will sprout an IRS. A Nissan GT-R like coupe? As Jason already indicated that is so far out in left field it isn't even worth talking about.

As for a TT V-6, here I agree with Pete and Moosetang...I don't see the V-8 going anywhere anytime soon and, even more, there is no reason for it to leave. Drop the GT's weight by 300lb, add direct injection and, even with 450hp, you would have an easy mid 12 second car that probably knocks down close to a 30mpg highway rating. Not everything has to get 40mpg, and I think the Mustang GT will get a pass if anything does.
If there was anything V8/sedan related, I'd think it would be falcon.
Whether its offered here or not, or the goals can be achieved by each vehicle without many compromises by sharing.
Even if they share many components would help save costs over the long haul.
(engines/tranny setup etc)

Ford knows that people want a V8 in the Mustang. Mustang GT=V8
I doubt we'll see a turbo 6 in the Mustang at all. I don't see the point.
While it could be a force to be wreckoned with, its not an 8, and its not going to satisfy the V8 crowd.
Seeing as the power levels would overlap, and it would be more expensive to offer 2 engines that essentially cover the same area, is not worth it.

Originally Posted by Overboost
I don't think we'll see as drastic a weight loss as some have hoped for. I could see a 3450-3500lb coupe with 450+ hp being a reasonable target for Ford engineers to hit. This would include the IRS, as well as additional gadgets that might be added in. Power to weight would be up a bit, and handling would improve. Seems like a win-win for enthusiasts.
Old 11/2/10, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty confident it will weigh less than 3450-3500 lbs. That's what the S197's weighed until 2010 or 2100. My '08 had a curb weight of 3490 lbs, and an optionless base GT would have weighed even less.
Old 11/2/10, 03:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I'm pretty confident it will weigh less than 3450-3500 lbs. That's what the S197's weighed until 2010 or 2100. My '08 had a curb weight of 3490 lbs, and an optionless base GT would have weighed even less.
Considering the car is 3600 lbs now, adding features, but reducing platform size will be almost a wash IMO. Do I want to see it under 3400 lbs? Of course. At what cost though? With things like MyFordTouch, independent rear suspension, larger brakes, wheels, and tires, etc. more than likely coming on the car, it all adds up.

Not to mention, any additional FMVSS standards that need to be complied by 2014/2015 will have to be addressed. Additional strength for pillars or roof panels would add more weight than we're thinking about right now.
Old 11/2/10, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

.....larger brakes, wheels, and tires, etc. more than likely coming on the car, it all adds up.
If Ford decides to go even larger with the wheel/tire size on the 2014, you can count me out. I was disappointed when they switched from 17" to 18" for the standard wheel diameter, but if they make 19's or 20's standard on the new GT (for styling or marketing reasons), you can count me out. A significant portion of the weight gain the last few years has been wheel/tire/brake weight. If they go with a smaller, lighter Mustang in 2014, they can go with smaller wheels/tires/brakes, and maintain the same level of performance, at a lighter weight.
Old 11/2/10, 05:11 PM
I Have No Life

Size doesn't equal weight.
IIRC the 19s were within spitting distance of the 18s weight wise.

Could be wrong on that, anyone know the weights themselves?

Quick Reply: A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension