2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/10, 05:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
Size doesn't equal weight.
IIRC the 19s were within spitting distance of the 18s weight wise.

Could be wrong on that, anyone know the weights themselves?
Actually Pete, if I am no mistaken I believe that the 19" wheels and tires on the Track Pack, as a package, weigh less than the 18" wheels and tires do. I could be wrong, I'll try to look it up when I have more time.
Old 11/2/10, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Size doesn't equal weight.
IIRC the 19s were within spitting distance of the 18s weight wise.

Could be wrong on that, anyone know the weights themselves?
In the case of the bump from standard 17" wheels to 18" wheels it sure did. It doesn't have to, but it usually does, and it did in the case of the Mustang.
Old 11/2/10, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I have also heard that the Brembo wheels are the lightest GT wheels available, not including the SVT PP forged wheels. I agree with Boomer, though on additional weight with larger wheel sizes being negligible in some cases. Think it has to do mostly with the design.
Old 11/3/10, 08:34 AM

I think that with the next Stang, in light of ever increasing CAFE and other standards will either have to go significantly lighter and sleeker or else, on the other side of the equation, power will likely go down.

I would guess to be viable, both in the U.S. and perhaps in a broader foreign market too, a GT in the 3200-3300 weight range would be in order, about what the SN95 Stang was. That alone, with the current engines, would mean both a nice performance bump and a nice bump in mileage. Start adding DI to the motors for a bit more power and perhaps 3-5% efficiency gain typical with DI and things look even better. Of course, with less weight and IRS, ride, handling and braking all should see big boosts too.

With a lighter Stang, I wouldn't be surprised to see a four banger return as a base motor with the V6 inhabiting the mid range, the V8 the top standard Stang and perhaps a TTV8 as the GT500 replacement.

As for a sedan based on the Mustang chassis, that would make perfect sense for some sort of Lincoln LS replacement or 3-series fighter.

Not sure what the GT-R style coupe implies -- AWD?, TTV6?, just another name for the GT500? My guess, if anything, it might mean simply a TTV6 GT350 stablemate to a TTV8 GT500.
Old 11/4/10, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
As for a sedan based on the Mustang chassis, that would make perfect sense for some sort of Lincoln LS replacement or 3-series fighter.
That would raise my eyebrows as well.
Old 11/6/10, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

I crave a V8 RWD sedan so much, I despise FWD cars. I do NOT however want it to replace the Mustang. I just want the Mustang to get lighter, be a 2+2 coupe, and the price to remain as low as possible, those are my only requirements. I could give or take IRS.
Old 11/7/10, 05:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
  • A Mustang very similar to what we have today with IRS and Rear Wheel Drive
  • An M3-styled Sedan with a Turbocharged V-6 Engine (Possibly the Ecoboost?)
  • A high-performance Nissan GT-R Style Coupe
Mustang with IRS - pretty impressed with the setup on the Camaro actually - just make sure its indestructible! ( Still, IRS = nessecary evil IMO)

M3 style sedan - I like that if they can do a small tidy sedan based on the next gen Mustang - the caveat being that Mustang shouldn't suffer just for a sedan (ie; current gen Camaro is porky because it was based on a modified G8). Speaking of the G8, I really liked the car, it was for me the right size and being V8 RWD was icing on the cake. There is talk of the coming GM Caprice police cruiser being offered in civilian trim, but it'll proabably be a bit big.

GT-R style coupe - no thank you, if Ford wants to build a snore mobile clone, then they can do that with the Ford GT(40) replacement (where it would be more appreciated anyway).
Old 11/8/10, 02:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpOnkey21
I crave a V8 RWD sedan so much, I despise FWD cars. I do NOT however want it to replace the Mustang. I just want the Mustang to get lighter, be a 2+2 coupe, and the price to remain as low as possible, those are my only requirements. I could give or take IRS.
Totally on board with this! My 2011 GT will most likely be my last Mustang for a while due to my kids getting bigger. We are at the limits of space now.

I was really hoping they would bring the Falcon over finally. The SHO was only in contention for me due to AWD.
Old 11/8/10, 09:38 AM

Now way a 4 door sedan would ever replace the Mustang. I see that as some neo Lincoln LS or something along those lines.

Sharing a chassis with a sedan doesn't necessarily mean size and weight bloat, but that is a risk what with the lack of engineering discipline the past decade or two in this regard.
Old 12/23/10, 05:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Any way you look at it, Ford is going to make the next Mustang on a platform that can be made around the world, likely with a few similar models using much of it to save $$. I am sure that lighter high tech components will be used, but despite the great refinements which I am sure they will make, will the One Ford plan force out some of the Mustang's free spirit, independence, and unique design and turn it some what more into a slightly different version of every other average car out there? We know it will go global and share. The rest of the world has needs that often make a Mustang less than practical. I hope that the needs of the rest of the world to not force Ford to make the Mustang anything less than what it could be. I can imagine it turning more into an americanized version of a european sports car. The weight loss and the handling would potentially be great, but the ability to have the huge American style engines would slowly fade away with CAFE standards. With the smaller body, 1/4 mile times, and 1000 hp supercharged monsters could suffer. If any American Muscle car could morph itself into a car that looks and handles more like an Audi, BMW or Porche, it would be the Mustang, rather than the Camaro or Challenger. That could be good in some ways, but that would mean that the 2011-2013 Mustangs could be in many ways the golden years for Ford Muscle that we really would never see again. I hope I am wrong.
Old 12/23/10, 11:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope you're wrong too. In the UK, we love the Mustang because it ISN'T European.......turn it into just another BMW, Audi, Nissan.....and you lose it's USP. That'll be a sad day, so I hope and pray it doesn't happen.

The Mustang needs to remain a Pony/Muscle car
Old 12/23/10, 12:33 PM

I think the Mustang will keep a distinctly American character, even as it picks up European car capabilities. One certainly wouldn't want to define the Mustang by its weaknesses.
Old 12/23/10, 02:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

True....but as your avatar states, SRA ain't so bad.

Whilst I'm not inferring that the SRA is a weakness (it doesn't both me one jot) I love the fact even with "only" 300bhp, by '05 GT has a little more power than the chassis can handle and yet doesn't have nannying electronics deciding who's in charge.

These days, most cars require your to drive them at 9/10ths to get the thrill factor. The Mustang can thrill all the way from 1/10th....from the moment it starts up you know it means business.....pootling around town it feels alive and raw, eager to run. It's this rawness I hope it never loses this feeling as refinement and "perfection" can often be ever so boring.

Old 12/23/10, 03:57 PM

Someone else actually put that moniker on my avatar. The SRA isn't so bad -- is actually quite good -- for a live axle.

I think most sub 9/10ths fun comes mostly from balance and, especially, feedback. If it were just the ability to get squirrely at anything above a walking pace, then a set of 195/80-15 bias ply Mileage Master's on all four corners would go far to achieving thrills aplenty for very little money.

The Mustang has been making good strides on this front, in not only posting good quantitative numbers but actually being a great drive, in the past few years. Still a way to go -- yet more steering feel for example -- but making steady gains. Lighter cars seem to have a far easier time of dialing in excellent feedback than heavier cars, even if the heavier car can post the same hard numbers.

Given the Mustangs ever increasing emphasis on not only how fast it goes, but how well it goes fast, I would expect a lighter, trimmer Next Stang to be a substantial improvement in the sheer joy of driving -- as distinct from sheer out-of-control terror -- backed up by even better quantitative performance numbers.
Old 12/23/10, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I was looking on the net quickly and saw the rumor about the camaro being downsized. It even was said that Chevy could go with a turbo v6 for the 2014/15 Camaro.

With the smaller and lighter Mustang, could the 2013 mustang be the end of the 5.0 v8?? Where else can they cut to make smaller but the engine compartment? Unless they make the cabin taller and shorter, then they are pretty much stuck shrinking the engine compartment to the point where the room for the big engine and mods like a supercharger will be gone. With CAFE standards getting more strict every year, if they cannot build large engines because of CAFE then why build the room into the car in the first place? We really could see a turbo 6 or maybe a small v8 as the GT engine. Maybe they can be so confident about changing to IRS because it will be much easier to build not having to accommodate 600-800 hp engines. I am sure the mustang will be a great sports car, but I am glad to be ordering a 2012 and not a 2014 at this point.
Old 12/23/10, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Having just developed the 5.0, and now sticking into several other cars, I'd say the idea of Ford dropping it anytime soon is pretty absurd.
Old 12/23/10, 05:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

2014 will have the Coyote 5.0, with direct Injection so the CARB people will stay happy. It will be lighter and have an IRS. It will be smaller overall (L/W/H). The cabin will stay 2+2 with the same interior room where it matters (seating/hip/leg/head) but will be shortened on the dash and rear shelf area. If you like MyTouch you'll have it...if you like Sony you'll get it. If you like amenities like folding mirrors and 10 way power cloth/alcantara/leather seats it will be optioned along with Recaro seats going forward. The look will still scream Mustang and the heritage will not be lost. We will still have the tri-taillights, the sculpted hood and pronounced C scoop. As it looks now it will be everything the car is now and everything we wish it was. The pricing will stay equal to where is stands now (adding Inflation).

The 2012-13 Mustang is a sweet piece of work. The Boss' for 12-13 are amazing and the $29K GT is all one really needs now. The 5.0 will be around for the foreseeable future. The rest of the line will include EcoBoosted engines. A 5.0 TwinForce (Old Name may make a come back) EcoBoost is in the cards. The mileage for base models will reach 35 mpg. The GT will get 30 mpg (est.)

The Crapmaro will also arrive around 2014 as a 2015 model, it too, smaller and lighter, making it about the size of todays Stang. If you want Euro-trashing Luxury and all the bells and whistles there will be a Lincoln Version (think MkC), based off of the same platform.

Last edited by Topnotch; 12/23/10 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12/23/10, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is why im not going to do do much to my '11. Tune and maybe an axle back. Wait until 2014 comes out before i decide which way to go.
Old 12/23/10, 07:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
This is why im not going to do do much to my '11. Tune and maybe an axle back. Wait until 2014 comes out before i decide which way to go.
you make a good point joe. thanks for the heads up TN!
Old 12/23/10, 08:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
you make a good point joe. thanks for the heads up TN!
Learned from my 08. Had Tune/Cai/Axle back/ Wheels/Tires and appearance mods just to trade it in 2 yrs later. If the '14 is supposed to be as great as TN says ill just wait another couple yrs before sinking money i could use toward a down payment.

Quick Reply: A Smaller Mustang with Independent Rear Suspension