2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

OK, Ford. It's mid September. Where are the reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/14, 03:45 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010

Heck akirby is one of the reasons that BON is a forum with very little traffic anymore. I couldn't care less what he has to say.
He didn't say anything. I was merely pointing out the differing opinions on the 2015 Mustang from the same publication he posted, not wanting to take credit myself.
Old 9/17/14, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
He didn't say anything. I was merely pointing out the differing opinions on the 2015 Mustang from the same publication he posted, not wanting to take credit myself.
I understand. I wasn't trying to get anything started because God knows akirby is not worth arguing about. lol

On a side note I just looked at the performance numbers on the ecoboost and not surprisingly the car basically delivers 3.7L V6 levels of performance, along with 3.7L V6 mpg. But hey, you get to put 93 octane in it and pay more for it retail, that's good right? lol
Old 9/17/14, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRGTX
I did read the review...did you? From Motor Trend on the ECOBOOST model. CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 3658 lb (53/47%) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...23_first_test/ "oink oink oink" (sound effects not from Motor Trend. )
Stand corrected. I was reading the GT First Drive article and wasn't aware the linked article was for the EcoBoost.
Old 9/17/14, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I still think overall, it will still be regarded as "best in class."
Based on what?
Old 9/17/14, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
Based on what?
Based on the S197 was already best in class in handling, acceleration, ride comfort (minus SRA skipping around on mid turn bumps), interior visibility etc...the S550 has either matched or improved all of those things.
Old 9/17/14, 09:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
Instrumented test on GT...what a pig! I guess I expected it to be faster! 196 pounds heavier than the 2014 http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...gt_first_test/
So the previous model mustang gt is faster in a straight line? Did I read that right?
Old 9/17/14, 09:19 PM
Banned

Based on the S197 was already best in class in handling, acceleration, ride comfort (minus SRA skipping around on mid turn bumps), interior visibility etc...the S550 has either matched or improved all of those things.

They improved that price tag too didn't they?

That's right ladies and gentlemen, you too can now pay more money for the same level of performance as last years car. And if you fancy an ecoboost you not only get the same level of performance but you also get to put premium gas in it to achieve that performance. I tell ya this is the greatest deal of all time, you'll never see it again.
Old 9/17/14, 10:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I just read the full motortrend review. Sounds like a C+. That pic of the engine was not pretty. Fugly grey reservoir? wth?

Heavier? Not faster? Costs more?
Still a sweet ride and performs well, but then so does the current model. It doesn't have to spank a 2014 to be a hot ride.
Old 9/17/14, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Visibility, absolutely. But the 1LE and ZL1 are a serious challenge to calling the S197 Mustang best in class. There does not seem to be a consensus among automotive reviewers that the Mustang is the best. Even Randy Pobst has been known post faster times in the Camaro during head to head competition and to choose the Camaro over the Mustang for handling, ride comfort and confidence on the track.

Keep in mind that even after driving the S550 Mustang GT, Motor Trend is still calling the Boss 302 the best Mustang ever. I'm cool with that but it's not a spectacular endorsement of the S550.
Old 9/17/14, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the r&t editors is a member on 6g (and owns an 06 gt vert) was part of the testing for performance car of the year so he drove It back to back with a bunch of new performance machines (took a pic with a 911 gt3 and 458 ) He said handling wise it dominates an m235 and he prefers the gt pp to the NEW bmw m3 because the handling is more engaging. Magazines all get different 0-60 times, the range I huge I have seen previous 5.0s from 4.2 to 4.7. Can't just grab one and say the car is definitely slower or faster to make your point. First drives are the editors comparing the car to their own expectations.... Comparison tests make all the difference, For example things like "feels a little sloppy mid corner" becomes "cornered the best of the bunch but was still a bit sloppy" Fundamentally the car handles better and is at least as fast as the previous model where that slots in your own opinion and buying choices is up to you.

Last edited by xlover; 9/17/14 at 10:54 PM.
Old 9/18/14, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
New GTPP has larger rear tires, more power and launch control.
The larger rear tires alone should have made it quicker since we all know that 255s are inadequate even with the old versions of the 5.0L...it's amazing what 200lbs can do.

Does the launch control help you get your best hole shot?
Old 9/19/14, 02:50 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What SRA "skipping around" on mid turn bumps??
I've driven your roads for a year and that 680 concrete slab freeway is one rough sob. One of the roughest roads I've been on. Been on 5, 505, 680, 880, 237, 101. From traffic, accelerating, to 80 up and over the turns on Sunol grade. Passing at 80 under acceleration on the sweeping bridge where 237 enters 880N. Passing at 80 under acceleration on the sweeping bridge where 505N starts at Vacaville. Concrete slabs. There is no "skipping around". Solid and confident as a rock.
Maybe you need to adjust those dampers and let them work a bit.
Old 9/19/14, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
What SRA "skipping around" on mid turn bumps??
I've driven your roads for a year and that 680 concrete slab freeway is one rough sob. One of the roughest roads I've been on. Been on 5, 505, 680, 880, 237, 101. From traffic, accelerating, to 80 up and over the turns on Sunol grade. Passing at 80 under acceleration on the sweeping bridge where 237 enters 880N. Passing at 80 under acceleration on the sweeping bridge where 505N starts at Vacaville. Concrete slabs. There is no "skipping around". Solid and confident as a rock.
Maybe you need to adjust those dampers and let them work a bit.
I think you're being too kind.

I don't have a problem with the solid rear axle but having driven hundreds of thousands of IRS sports car and SRA Mustang miles, I insist that the "skipping" SRA is a real thing. For me, it has never caused a spin-out or anything catasrophic but is does require the driver to go a bit slower and it's disruptive to "enthusiastic" driving.

That said, hooning a car around on crappy pavement isn't a great idea anyway.
Old 9/22/14, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I think you're being too kind.

I don't have a problem with the solid rear axle but having driven hundreds of thousands of IRS sports car and SRA Mustang miles, I insist that the "skipping" SRA is a real thing. For me, it has never caused a spin-out or anything catasrophic but is does require the driver to go a bit slower and it's disruptive to "enthusiastic" driving.

That said, hooning a car around on crappy pavement isn't a great idea anyway.
Oh yeah? These 2010 SRA Mustangs seemed to be just fine on uneven ground!

Enjoy:

P.S. I'm not disputing what you're saying. I just needed an excuse to post that video. :-)

Last edited by Mrsuitcase; 9/22/14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 9/22/14, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All reviews peg the new Fustang to be blah. But hey it has an irs hahahahahahaha!

Last edited by Astenax; 9/22/14 at 10:37 PM.
Old 9/23/14, 02:57 PM

Autonet.ca (Canada) had a nice review of the 2015, and had a comment or two regarding its speed vis-a-vis the Boss 302:

Overall, the Performance Package GT is a remarkable car and - get your hate mail ready now - found it to be more satisfying for my attack of California mountain roads than BMW's latest M4. I'll chalk that up to a more communicative chassis, great cockpit, and Ford's wonderful 5.0-litre V8.

The old Boss 302 was indeed known for being faster than its contemporary BMW M3, but that got me thinking about how this new Performance Package GT stacks up. Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak told me that, yes, this new car is faster than the Boss. Indeed, it's 1.5 seconds around Michigan's Grattan Raceway - a circuit where I've won some races - and I can tell you that's a real accomplishment.
1.5 seconds is immense, especially for a relatively more mainstream GT (PP) against a dedicated hard-core track rat like the Boss 302. Given that the straight line performance of the 2015 is, at best, equal to a 2014 GT 5.0 and likely a touch slower than the 440HP, somewhat lighter Boss, guess one would have to chalk that up to the new IRS suspension for the most part since it ain't the straightline speed doing it.
Old 9/24/14, 06:33 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
1.5 seconds is immense, especially for a relatively more mainstream GT (PP) against a dedicated hard-core track rat like the Boss 302. Given that the straight line performance of the 2015 is, at best, equal to a 2014 GT 5.0 and likely a touch slower than the 440HP, somewhat lighter Boss, guess one would have to chalk that up to the new IRS suspension for the most part since it ain't the straightline speed doing it.
That's good to see a solid number but this new Mustang seems to be suffering mostly from refinement and comfort. Ever since the fox car it seems they are more capable just less fun to drive since the very things that made older Mustangs slower and more dangerous were the things that endeared them the most as odd as that may seem.

That seems to be a trap a lot of cars fall into with enthusiast (another good example if extreme are the nut jobs that prefer a swing axle 911 over the later cars with a proper rear suspension)

At least to my eyes and reading into the comments of the big rag reviews where they prefer the Boss over the PP GT despite empirical evidence otherwise it seems what they want is a Mustang with a bit harder edge, one that reacts a bit more quickly to input and doesn't quite absorb the bumps quite as well and feels a bit more nailed down.

IMO, that was my issue with the early S-197 as well, it was tuned a bit to much toward comfort and left something on the table in terms of control.

The 1.5 second advantage the new car has over the Boss is telling in that it shows the stiffer chassis along with improved front suspension and IRS is allowing the car to use its tires much more effectively even if it appears Ford has again tuned the car more towards comfort.
Old 9/24/14, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Getting the Mustang a bit more refined is exactly what needed to happen for the S550 to start getting comparisons to BMW's M series, which it appears to compare quite favorably to according to a few reviews. For a car that sells for around $40k to be compared to ~$70k BMW is no small thing, especially when you consider it is now a car for the worldwide market. For the Mustang to continue to be a viable car it needs to sell to a broader audience.