Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name, go naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/13, 08:56 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/10/n...lly-aspirated/

For starters, the base Ford coupe is expected to carry on with V6 power, likely from the same 3.7-liter unit found in today's car. From there, R&T says the next step up will be a four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, likely displacing 2.3 liters, putting out as much as 350 horsepower. Of course, a Mustang wouldn't be a Mustang without V8 thrust, and R&T states that the 5.0-liter Coyote V8 will continue on into the 2015 car, making something like 450 horsepower.

But it's at the high end of the Mustang range where things will, reportedly, get very, very interesting. Road & Track claims that the top-shelf 'Stang will likely lose the supercharger from its engine, producing a metric crap-ton of naturally aspirated grunt instead. Additionally, the SVT-fettled Mustang will likely be dropping its Shelby moniker, in favor of "a name you're familiar with," according to the magazine (you know, like, Cobra).

Look for the camouflage to come off before the end of this year.
Old 6/11/13, 09:19 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeptical on both those points. The Shelby name is a license to print money, SVT on its own has a tiny fraction of the market recognition. And Ford is embracing FI rather wholeheartedly across the lineup, every vehicle will have a force-fed engine option and Linc may soon offer EcoBoost engines exclusively. But now they're going to cook up a giant, unboosted displacement engine and cram it into Mustang as the top-line performer?

I think its more likely there's something lost in translation here, maybe there's a new bridge model between GT and GT500 which is unboosted (like the BOSS was) and it will launch on/near day 1 while the Shelby will be later to market.
Old 6/11/13, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the SVT name will make a comeback. Hopefully when they switch from Shelby to Cobra we will see a price decrease on the high end model.

23k V6
33k V8
44k SVT no greater than 48k

The 04 Cobra was roughly only 10k higher than a GT if I remember correctly.
Old 6/11/13, 05:22 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Skeptical on both those points. The Shelby name is a license to print money, SVT on its own has a tiny fraction of the market recognition. And Ford is embracing FI rather wholeheartedly across the lineup, every vehicle will have a force-fed engine option and Linc may soon offer EcoBoost engines exclusively. But now they're going to cook up a giant, unboosted displacement engine and cram it into Mustang as the top-line performer?

I think its more likely there's something lost in translation here, maybe there's a new bridge model between GT and GT500 which is unboosted (like the BOSS was) and it will launch on/near day 1 while the Shelby will be later to market.
Who said it's gonna be giant?
Old 6/11/13, 05:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Shelby already makes the GT350 package for the GT. Maybe they'd like to do the GT500 package for the next gen Cobra. However, I though Ford bought the naming rights until 2016.
Old 6/11/13, 05:27 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Maybe Ford thinks without the man himself around anymore the name on new cars produced after his death doesn't mean as much.
Old 6/11/13, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

My guess is the information got crossed in whispers and that the Shelby will live on similar to what it is now. From a business point of view it would make no sense as ford can sell basically as many as they want to build at 60-65k price tags.

It seems more likely to me that the cobra will slot in above or below the gt500. Taking the bosses role or possibly going after the z28. My personal opinion is that they should ignore the z28 and stick to the boss role. But I also believe a 70k track monster with not even a stereo is a waste of money. I would rather give up a few 10ths and be guided around the track by sat nav with a 500 watt stereo booming in my heated leather cabin and memory seats
Old 6/11/13, 08:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I think the SVT name will make a comeback. Hopefully when they switch from Shelby to Cobra we will see a price decrease on the high end model..
The next SVT car could very well be cheaper, but not because they tossed the Shelby name. The current GT500 is a fairly bespoke machine with its 5.8 supercharged V8, Tremec trans, carbon fiber driveshaft and electronically controlled shocks (along with all the other bits and pieces you get if you option out the car to get its full capability).

Ford would save a good bit of scratch by going to a coyote based V8, MT82 trans and ditching the carbon fiber driveshaft as well as all the other stuff needed to make the car reliably go 200 mph which they could pass on in savings.

Sounds like a great car with around 480 or so HP but I'd argue it's neither a Cobra (the naturally aspirated Cobras are largely forgotten with the exception of the R models) or a GT500. A next gen Boss or GT350 certainly.

I suppose framing it as the next SVT model sans forced induction is a good headline grabber but perhaps its not the only next gen SVT model to be in development.

Frankly if Ford is dropping forced induction due to space constraints (both euro pedestrian regs and a generally smaller car) and its main competitors are either keeping or developing forced induction variants this would be a real punch in the gut to the faithful.
Old 6/11/13, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Who said it's gonna be giant?
Nobody official, but I've seen a lot of "this must mean the 6.8 v10 is coming the to Mustang!" or "this means the 7L version of the BOSS engine is coming to Mustang!" around the internet(s) since this article broke. For what it's worth TTAC has it as a super high-revving 5.2. But TTAC A) is not super reliable and B) really really really hates Ford.
Old 6/11/13, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The SVT will be four cylinder.
Old 6/11/13, 11:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
B) really really really hates Ford.
Not as much as GM, Bertel Schmidt really really really likes to post bad things about GM.
Old 6/12/13, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by bob
Not as much as GM, Bertel Schmidt really really really likes to post bad things about GM.
True. And to think, they've actually gotten better recently. Their old editor in chief was certifiably insane. Like, get a padded room ready and don't let him near anything sharp insane.

Last edited by Moosetang; 6/12/13 at 03:22 AM.
Old 6/12/13, 05:32 AM
BOSS Member

The 6.8 is way old technology and its days are numbered.
Old 6/12/13, 10:15 AM

I could see axing Shelby's name from the uber Stang, what with Ford going more forward than backward looking thematically and, well, with 'ol Shelby dead and all now. My guess would be either an SVT or SVO moniker, or possibly RS reflecting that name on some uber Ford's in Europe (global synchrony).

As for a N.A. motor, I would find that highly unlikely in the GT500 replacement, especially in the face of ever more stringent CAFE and EPA standards. I would suspect, rather, a TT5.0 making close to the same power as the outgoing SC 5.7 but much more efficiently and cleanly.
Old 6/12/13, 10:33 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't buy the N/A Cobra/GT500 or whatever they make. I could see it going turbo over sc but it makes no sense to switch from a boosted engine with today's competitors out there.
Old 6/12/13, 10:59 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
goooood, goooooooood
Old 6/12/13, 11:47 AM
GT Member

I agree with Knight, I don't believe the top dog Mustang can hang without forced induction of some sort. The ZL1 will break the 600HP barrier soon, I'm sure. MOPAR is working a ZL1/GT500 competitor too. Can't see the SVT version being merely 500HP. I would love a 7.0 NA engine at 500+ though!!!
Old 6/12/13, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb
I could see axing Shelby's name from the uber Stang, what with Ford going more forward than backward looking thematically and, well, with 'ol Shelby dead and all now. My guess would be either an SVT or SVO moniker, or possibly RS reflecting that name on some uber Ford's in Europe (global synchrony).

As for a N.A. motor, I would find that highly unlikely in the GT500 replacement, especially in the face of ever more stringent CAFE and EPA standards. I would suspect, rather, a TT5.0 making close to the same power as the outgoing SC 5.7 but much more efficiently and cleanly.
SVO was a way cooler name than SVT.
Old 6/12/13, 02:55 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I don't buy the N/A Cobra/GT500 or whatever they make. I could see it going turbo over sc but it makes no sense to switch from a boosted engine with today's competitors out there.
I hope the next SVT product just means something in between now and when a supercharged or turbocharged variant comes out. Talk Cobra with most anybody and you would think with the exception of the 2000 R that the car didn't exist prior to 2003.

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
SVO was a way cooler name than SVT.
Agreed Special Vehicle Operations has an almost Skunk Works feel to it.
Old 6/12/13, 03:29 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I said this before. I would love to see a SVT cobra again and maybe a Shelby option thrown in there. Roush or even Saleen may be able to get their paws on a few cobras if this is the case and that would be cool to see.

Quick Reply: Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name, go naturally aspirated