2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

New Popular Hotrodding Mag article

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/11, 11:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch

Getting a better look at it improves my opinion of the silver one (top car). However, it really just looks kinda like a refreshed S197 as opposed to an all new car. It also has a lot of "retro" elements that are supposedly going away.
Old 10/29/11, 12:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I think what a lot of people in the "retro" camp forget is that most of the successful designs over the years have been successful in spte of their design cues. The II wasn't successful because it had a pony in the grille or a side scoop, it was successful because it came back more generally to what the original car was supposed to be from the 71-73 model.

The same is true for the various Foxes. They are the farthest from the original as far as syling cues go, but they were very succesful as well because they retained more than the superficial cues. They were very close to the original in terms of proportions, character and approach.

Superficial design elements have little to do with the success of the car because they have little to do with what has always made the Mustang appealing. It's not triple tail lights or a side scoop that people really want. They want an affordable fun car that looks great and has some good performance. The bigger design elements are what really makes a Mustang a Mustang such as long hood short deck proportions, RWD, V8, 2+2, available convertable etc. The little details that people tend to get obsessed with really have little to nothing to do with what has made/kept the car successful. I think a lot people tend to overlook that.
I agree, and said as such, that the various generations of Mustangs have always been a product of the times and were often successful regardless of what they looked like however this is a double-edged sword. If looks don't really matter, let's just keep the "retro" elements for the heck of it. I don't want a generic Ford coupe than just has a pony badge slapped on. I want a car that looks like a Mustang and, to me, that means it sports DNA from the Mustang's early years when the car was at its most pure. Why arbitrarily do away with design elements that are so closely associated with, in my opinion, one of the most successful, recognizable and best-looking periods of the Mustang's history? I'd be willing to bet that the average Joe on the street would be more likely to recognize a 1965 Mustang than a 1985 Mustang. Personally, I find it odd that many of the anti-"retro" guys seem to embrace some of these concepts (such as the ones above) that still sport plenty of "retro" elements. Maybe my idea of "retro" is much looser than others...

Last edited by Wolfsburg; 10/29/11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10/29/11, 12:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The red one has a LOT of potential. The lights and grills are a mess, but I like the crisp fender lines and the "hockey stick" flowing into the hips.
Old 10/29/11, 12:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulVincent
That monstrosity must not be the design of the next Mustang. GM's Camaro already wins the UGLY award, so there's no point in Ford entering Mustang in the competition.
Except the Mustang is getting it's clock cleaned by the Camaro in sales, and has been for a while now. Most people think it's a better looking car. I don't (Challenger) but most do. The S197 was a great design but it's run it's course. It's time for a change, something fresh and new.
Old 10/29/11, 01:08 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tbi0904

Except the Mustang is getting it's clock cleaned by the Camaro in sales, and has been for a while now. Most people think it's a better looking car. I don't (Challenger) but most do. The S197 was a great design but it's run it's course. It's time for a change, something fresh and new.
I agree with this. ^^^. Chrysler did retro right. Chevy did retro with a twist. The newer mustangs are not exciting to look at. People want sports cars to look like sports cars. The current mustang body is just too plain looking to outsell the camaro. The faithful will still buy mustangs but I've seen many faithful buy the competition also.
Old 10/29/11, 02:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tbi0904
Just because the Camaro has sold more doesn't mean that "Most people think it's a better looking car." The Vette outsold the Ford GT, but it certainly isn't the better looking car. I don't begin to know why the Camaro outsells the Mustang, but until I see stats proving the "most people" claim, I'll not be convinced of that statement.
Old 10/29/11, 03:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinoy361
Where did you find this kit?!
Must have!!!
Not a kit, but a fully rebodied S197. Take a look at this thread. It's a one-off, but it's so close to what I want for the '15MY, it hurts!

https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...1968-a-493102/

Have to say, this is pretty stunning and I'd be happy with that as the '15, too. Instantly recognisable as a Mustang, but with a modern twist. Kind of like how the new Camaro is a future-retro take on their '69, so this is to our '68

(and I'm claiming the term future-retro if Ford take this route )

Old 10/29/11, 07:32 AM
Cobra Member

Just because the Camaro has sold more doesn't mean that "Most people think it's a better looking car." The Vette outsold the Ford GT, but it certainly isn't the better looking car. I don't begin to know why the Camaro outsells the Mustang, but until I see stats proving the "most people" claim, I'll not be convinced of that statement.
I agree. The Mustang isn't getting "its clock cleaned" by the Camaro (look at the Challenger's numbers for that) and I would say any sales advantage it has is based more, or just as much, on the fact that it's the "new kid on the block" than its looks. Even if it is selling better due to its "future retro" looks (thanks TT!), that's just another argument that "retro" can still sell. Ford just needs to evolve the Mustang, not drop "retro" altogether...
Old 10/29/11, 12:46 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

I agree with you in that I don't think the Camaro's better sales can be directly attributed to aesthetics. Like I've said before, if people were buying the better-looking car, arguably, the Dodge Challenger would be selling MUCH, MUCH better than it has since its modern reintroduction. Quite simply, the Chevy Camaro is the car to have, especially after returning from a several-year hiatus. The car was hyped beyond belief for, literally, YEARS and the public caught on. As tbi pointed out, the "new" Mustang just wasn't different enough; most can't tell a difference between it and the 2005-09 model. That said, I believe Ford is going to do anything and everything to ensure the 2015 is a success on all fronts. The fact that Ford is offering a "freshened" Mustang for MY 2013 is encouraging, too, in that it proves they aren't willing to lay down and concede this generation to Chevrolet.
Old 10/29/11, 12:49 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I agree. The Mustang isn't getting "its clock cleaned" by the Camaro (look at the Challenger's numbers for that) and I would say any sales advantage it has is based more, or just as much, on the fact that it's the "new kid on the block" than its looks. Even if it is selling better due to its "future retro" looks (thanks TT!), that's just another argument that "retro" can still sell. Ford just needs to evolve the Mustang, not drop "retro" altogether...
Well-said, Wolfsburg. I'm with you in that Ford should quit worrying about what's "retro" and what isn't -- just produce a car that will drop jaws.
Old 10/29/11, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Not a kit, but a fully rebodied S197. Take a look at this thread. It's a one-off, but it's so close to what I want for the '15MY, it hurts!

https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...1968-a-493102/

Have to say, this is pretty stunning and I'd be happy with that as the '15, too. Instantly recognisable as a Mustang, but with a modern twist. Kind of like how the new Camaro is a future-retro take on their '69, so this is to our '68

(and I'm claiming the term future-retro if Ford take this route )
How does one get in?
Attached Images  
Old 10/29/11, 01:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
How does one get in?
TWHS
Old 10/29/11, 02:41 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
To the vast majority, the camaro is very good looking. I actually like it in the base model trim. The SS version is pretty ugly though. How many stock camaro's do you see compared to stock mustangs? Every mustang I see has been customized to a certain extent. = Most mustang buyers are not satisfied with the factory styling either. The challenger is beautiful. One of the best "looking" American cars produced right now. The problem with challenger sales is 1: price, 2: underpowered (slow) 3: Chrysler sucks and everyone knows it. But I would love a challenger for a DD while it's still under warranty.
Old 10/29/11, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

Well, maybe that's one thing most of us can agree on. The Challenger is a fantastic looking car. If it went on a serious diet, I think it'd likely be taken much more seriously. As it is, it's less the pony car of its forbears and more just a boulevard cruiser...
Old 10/29/11, 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh I'm in love with that first silver one!!!!
Old 10/29/11, 11:46 PM

Silver one looks great, but please do not have the gun slit windows. I do like the looks of the Camaro, but I do not like the high beltline, chopped roof effect on the side widows and windscreen. The (relatively) open green house of my GT500 is a much more pleasant driving environment.

As for the retro, non retro argument, just make the car look awesome. I personally am really glad that Ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler are all making great performing cars again.
Old 10/30/11, 03:54 AM
GTR Member

I also love the fact that really sharp hip/shoulder line has been seen before in Ford's past

Old 10/30/11, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I think what a lot of people in the "retro" camp forget is that most of the successful designs over the years have been successful in spte of their design cues. The II wasn't successful because it had a pony in the grille or a side scoop, it was successful because it came back more generally to what the original car was supposed to be from the 71-73 model.

The same is true for the various Foxes. They are the farthest from the original as far as syling cues go, but they were very succesful as well because they retained more than the superficial cues. They were very close to the original in terms of proportions, character and approach.

Superficial design elements have little to do with the success of the car because they have little to do with what has always made the Mustang appealing. It's not triple tail lights or a side scoop that people really want. They want an affordable fun car that looks great and has some good performance. The bigger design elements are what really makes a Mustang a Mustang such as long hood short deck proportions, RWD, V8, 2+2, available convertable etc. The little details that people tend to get obsessed with really have little to nothing to do with what has made/kept the car successful. I think a lot people tend to overlook that.
The II was probably successful due to the gas mileage, not the styling.
Old 10/30/11, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO, if Ford does some serious marketing, the Mustang will out sell anything.

And the vast majority of Mustang sales are not to enthusiasts. Very few Mustang owners can tell you what a Boss 302 is let alone the history of it. Parnelli who?

If the Camaro wasn't featured in Transformers, I doubt the young crowd would have any interest in it and the newest Camaro would be a '02. Chevy did a great job creating a buzz a year after the '05 Mustang was available

If Ford comes up with a good looking car, it will sell both domestically and abroad. It must have american styling and an "edge" to sell in both markets.

If it is a copy of something else "for the global market" another Edsel is loomnig large.
Old 10/30/11, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
thousands of us foureyedpride members completely disagree!

As a former Fox owner, THAT is the best looking Mustang of Fox era!!! The '85-'86 White/Black GT color combo is my all time favorite.

If I owned that car, it would still be in my garage.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 10/30/11 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New Popular Hotrodding Mag article