2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brand New 2014 Mustang Towed and Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/14, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand New 2014 Mustang Towed and Wont Start

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I just bought a brand new 2014 Ford Mustang 4 days ago. The car had 78 miles on it and due to my apartment being slightly retarded it was towed.

I picked it up the following day from the tow company. I drove the car about a block and it just shuts off. I tried to restart the car and nothing.

Everything is completely normal as I am turning the key. The lights come on everything seems fine, but when I try to start the car nothing happens. It just bings twice and that's it. Clutch was in, brake was down...

I kept trying it over and over and then suddenly an hour later while waiting for my girlfriend to show up with the other key it starts and I was able to drive the car home. Then this morning the same thing happens. Car wont start.

I think it has something to do with the anti-theft system because the lock over the car symbol keeps flashing on the dash.

Does anyone have any clue how to deactivate it?
Old 4/11/14, 11:37 AM

Also please note I tried both keys.
Old 4/11/14, 12:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The tow might have triggered the fuel shut-off switch. To turn it back on:

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, this vehicle is equipped
with a fuel pump shut-off feature that stops the flow of fuel to the
engine. Not every impact will cause a shut-off.
Should your vehicle shut off after a collision, you may restart your
vehicle by doing the following:
1. Turn the ignition off and wait approximately 10 seconds.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to re-enable the fuel pump.
Old 4/11/14, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Ummm, that's a head scratcher. I know the security system does have a sensor that detects when the car is lifted, but I don't know if that stays active until somehow reset. Maybe unhook the neg. battery cable for approx. 15-20 minutes to let the entire electronic system reset to see if that helps. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Good luck.
Old 4/11/14, 12:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
hmm, try this?

Old 4/11/14, 12:32 PM

The fuel shut off would make sense...but why would it start back up after an hour of trying and the next day not work again.
Old 4/11/14, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure why the car wont start. The use of retarded is nice though.
I'm guessing its a sensor of some sort. Take it to the dealer that's what the warranty is for.
They probably have some one there that can look at it.

Good luck

*not very nice,consider this a warning*

Last edited by Boomer; 4/11/14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 4/11/14, 01:13 PM

I don't see how it could possibly be a sensor with the car only having 83 miles on it.
Old 4/11/14, 01:19 PM

Also I apologize if I offended anyone with the retarded comment...wasn't my intention. I am obviously irritated and saying things that I shouldn't. I have only owned BMW's for the past 15 years. In those 15 years I have had zero problems outside of normal maintenance. This was my first decision to try out an American car and after only 83 miles the car is getting towed to the dealership.
Old 4/11/14, 01:22 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Effektx
I don't see how it could possibly be a sensor with the car only having 83 miles on it.
Well who knows what was done during the tow.
And stuff can go bad.

I've had the incline sensor go off when I was jacking the car up on my 05, but I believe it says "SECURITY EVENT" on the dash display, car would still start though. This just sets off the alarm/lights.

The sporadic starting is odd. I'd pull the battery and reset everything and see if it happens again.
If not, take it in.
I wouldn't let this spoil the view on 'american cars'
I've seen enough stuff happen on new cars from all parts of the world. **** happens.

Last edited by Boomer; 4/11/14 at 01:24 PM.
Old 4/11/14, 01:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also I apologize if I offended anyone with the retarded comment...wasn't my intention. I am obviously irritated and saying things that I shouldn't. I have only owned BMW's for the past 15 years. In those 15 years I have had zero problems outside of normal maintenance. This was my first decision to try out an American car and after only 83 miles the car is getting towed to the dealership.
it's ok most of my friends are retarded.. but anyway did you call Ford roadside assistance? it's a new car, they will tow it and fix whatever's wrong under warrantee

Last edited by cinque35; 4/11/14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 4/11/14, 01:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
hmm, try this?

Old 4/11/14, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel shut off would make sense...but why would it start back up after an hour of trying and the next day not work again.
I don't know but did you at least try it?
Old 4/11/14, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can't help the issue, but it might be good to do a good once over of the car and make sure the tow driver didn't carelessly damage it.

I've seen so many cars with tow straps rubbing up under the front bumper, and even had a tow driver throw chains under my Camaro to get it on the flatbed and hit the front painted side of my lower chin spoiler with the big heavy chains while I was standing right there.
Old 4/11/14, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Well, you'll be glad the first time you need any kind of maintenance you pay for yourself that it isn't a BMW anymore. There's reason the resale value of the things drop like a stone as soon as they're out of warranty - $2,000 sets of tires, $1,500 brake jobs, etc. You had a weird freak occurrence that may have been triggered by the tow; see what the dealer says is wrong before you decide you've got a lemon.
Old 4/11/14, 04:39 PM

Aright lets see so

1. The tow company seemed pretty legit actually. I did quite a long 20 minute inspection of the car before even getting back into the car.

The tow company said they used GoJaks to move the car out of its spot to ensure they didn't cause any damage and then the car was towed from the rear. No flat bed which is pretty annoying, but my car has stock suspension so it wasn't terrible.

2. I have been at work all day while the car has been sitting at my apartment complex. The lease on my BMW 135i is not up until the 15th so I just drove that car to work.

If none of these ideas work when I get home I will then call roadside assistance and get it towed.

3. As for maintenance. My first two BMW I bought. I changed the brakes and the oil myself...outside of that I literally never had to do anything to the car. My last BMW was a 135i and I only did 25k miles on it in 3 years. Obviously outside of tires there was nothing I needed to pay for.

The maintenance on the Mustang was actually really impressive because for the next 5 years I don't have to pay for anything including brake changes, oil changes, and even clutch replacements.

That isn't my issue. My issue is obviously peoples cars get towed from time to time. Things happen. When this does happen Ford should have had a better design that wouldn't leave the car rendered useless afterwards.

From what I have been reading this PATS system has been having issues on everyone's Ford cars since 1996 when it was introduced. It seems stupid that they do not have a solution to this simple problem 18 years down the road.
Old 4/11/14, 09:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've owned Mustangs and numerous Ford cars since 1984 and have NEVER had any PATS related issues.

You''re blaming Ford for an issue from your car that you can't even be sure is the result of being towed??!!
Old 4/12/14, 12:34 PM
MLM

Being a new car it might not have anything to do with the tow. Sounds to me like a flaky clutch safety switch. Don't know why it would shut off, though.

Last edited by MLM; 4/12/14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 4/12/14, 01:09 PM
V6 Member

Aright lets see so

1. The tow company seemed pretty legit actually. I did quite a long 20 minute inspection of the car before even getting back into the car.

The tow company said they used GoJaks to move the car out of its spot to ensure they didn't cause any damage and then the car was towed from the rear. No flat bed which is pretty annoying, but my car has stock suspension so it wasn't terrible.

2. I have been at work all day while the car has been sitting at my apartment complex. The lease on my BMW 135i is not up until the 15th so I just drove that car to work.

If none of these ideas work when I get home I will then call roadside assistance and get it towed.

3. As for maintenance. My first two BMW I bought. I changed the brakes and the oil myself...outside of that I literally never had to do anything to the car. My last BMW was a 135i and I only did 25k miles on it in 3 years. Obviously outside of tires there was nothing I needed to pay for.

The maintenance on the Mustang was actually really impressive because for the next 5 years I don't have to pay for anything including brake changes, oil changes, and even clutch replacements.

That isn't my issue. My issue is obviously peoples cars get towed from time to time. Things happen. When this does happen Ford should have had a better design that wouldn't leave the car rendered useless afterwards.

From what I have been reading this PATS system has been having issues on everyone's Ford cars since 1996 when it was introduced. It seems stupid that they do not have a solution to this simple problem 18 years down the road.
I have never heard about PATS causing an issue in these new cars, or any for that matter. Mustangs get towed all the time, probably more-so than other cars because of our many headstrong owners. However I haven't heard of any refusing to start after a tow. I just want to give you some assurance that this isn't an unreliable car, and really the stereotype of american unreliability is almost negligible at this point. I have heard a lot more of BMW's unreliability and the high cost rather than Mustang's, but that itself is just what I have seen and not representative of overall reality. Please share with us what the dealer says went wrong, and I hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 4/12/14, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. This obviously shouldn't happen, but you may be the first person with this sort of issue. Either way, your dealer is the best source for resolution.

I have just under 5000 miles on my 2014 GT TP, and all smiles. This car was worth every penny. It's not M5 smooth, but for 1/2 the price and 99% of the performance I could care less. I hope you feel the same way since your previous cars were 1.5x or 2x the price. Beside, Bemers are not known for reliability

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 Mustang Towed and Wont Start