2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Motortrend Head to Head vs. Camaro 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/14 | 04:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ford doesn't care about squashing Chevy. They already have the icon that is the Mustang and legions of devotees to the car.

They just put it out and the hungry little mouths eat it up and buy it. I chirp as I write this.

Think of U2 putting out an album of fart noises. People would buy it just because of the name and who they are.

Ford has become too big and are living in a world of their own like Apple. They can put out crap, poor quality, under achieving products and you will buy it.

I like how the prices always go up every year but the quality goes down,
Old 10/17/14 | 10:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's true...okay, so make my 5.0 a 6.0 and give it back to me with 60 more ft/lbs and 20 more hp please

Y'know I said DOHC but I also meant 4v - the valve curtain area on a 4v engine is monster which is why a 4v engine has such good low and mid lift flow. At high lift the airflow through a 2v and 4v engine starts to even out.
Old 10/17/14 | 11:25 PM

You can hear the metal structure flexing under acceleration or say going over a speed bump, or entering a driveway.

Patrick, I'm really baffled why your glass roof makes any noise. Your warranty should cover stuff like that for the first year of ownership. My glass roof has never made any kind of noise and that's with repeated drag strip duty and 60' times in the 1.60's dang near pulling the front tires off the ground (I actually did pull the front tires up on one pass this year at Bremerton Raceway). My car is a daily driver, we have lots of potholes in our roads, and lots of speed bumps in parking lots, yet my glass roof (and suspension, for that matter) doesn't make a sound. Exercise your warranty!!!
Old 10/17/14 | 11:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Ford has become too big and are living in a world of their own like Apple. They can put out crap, poor quality, under achieving products and you will buy it.

Ford does indeed respond to the competition. The 2010+ Mustangs are proof of that.

I like how the prices always go up every year but the quality goes down,[/QUOTE]
We don't know what the quality is like on the new car so that's an anecdotal statement at best.

Although I admit it seems Ford let the pendulum swing a bit too far toward the refinement side of things in a segment that lives and dies on performance numbers.
Old 10/18/14 | 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by bob
Ford does indeed respond to the competition. The 2010+ Mustangs are proof of that. I like how the prices always go up every year but the quality goes down,
We don't know what the quality is like on the new car so that's an anecdotal statement at best. Although I admit it seems Ford let the pendulum swing a bit too far toward the refinement side of things in a segment that lives and dies on performance numbers.[/QUOTE]

True. However, I was speaking from my experience over the last 15 years as a Mustang owner. My first was an 00, 04, 11, 12.

Just a snippet: My 11 had issues going into reverse, cheap wheels and rubber at 35k traded it, my 12 has a corroding hood, CS wheels clear coat flaked off at 11k. My 04 and 00... Heck I don't remember issues like that.

see where I'm going.
Old 10/18/14 | 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Patrick, I'm really baffled why your glass roof makes any noise. Your warranty should cover stuff like that for the first year of ownership. My glass roof has never made any kind of noise and that's with repeated drag strip duty and 60' times in the 1.60's dang near pulling the front tires off the ground (I actually did pull the front tires up on one pass this year at Bremerton Raceway). My car is a daily driver, we have lots of potholes in our roads, and lots of speed bumps in parking lots, yet my glass roof (and suspension, for that matter) doesn't make a sound. Exercise your warranty!!!
I know Brian, I'm baffled too. Like I said, I think it's karma for talking so much sh*t about the Model S pano roof creaks. Also, I've been working 6 days a week, and just do not trust the 3 dealers in my area. I could go to Sacramento, where my buddy is a SA, but he just go served a 60-day notice that the family owned dealership is selling out to one of the big auto groups, so he's getting laid off (possibly rehired), but there goes that dealership down the drain too. I really have nowhere to take my car where I know it won't get trashed, beat on, or the advisor/manager won't work with me.
Old 10/18/14 | 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Laser, I'm starting to think a ST Focus may have been a better option for you. I also am married but with dogs, no kids, and sit through crazy Houston traffic every day with my Boss, but I still absolutely LOVE it! I may be sitting still on the freeway, but my car is rumbling and looking awesome!

That being said, I do wish I also had a four door truck for the versatility.

2015 GT vs 1LE... These are sad times....
Old 10/18/14 | 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Ford doesn't care about squashing Chevy. They already have the icon that is the Mustang and legions of devotees to the car.

They just put it out and the hungry little mouths eat it up and buy it. I chirp as I write this.

Think of U2 putting out an album of fart noises. People would buy it just because of the name and who they are.

I like how the prices always go up every year but the quality goes down,
Um, please find a single review that doesn't state without any reservation that the S550 isn't a MUCH better car than any previous Mustang. C'mon man, this just reads as sour grapes.
Old 10/18/14 | 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
Laser, I'm starting to think a ST Focus may have been a better option for you. I also am married but with dogs, no kids, and sit through crazy Houston traffic every day with my Boss, but I still absolutely LOVE it! I may be sitting still on the freeway, but my car is rumbling and looking awesome! That being said, I do wish I also had a four door truck for the versatility. 2015 GT vs 1LE... These are sad times....
I am too too late now though. I do love my car, but the quality issues are making me regret it. The other compromises I knew going in, and can live with them.
Old 10/18/14 | 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am too too late now though. I do love my car, but the quality issues are making me regret it. The other compromises I knew going in, and can live with them.
Well then lets make the best out of it!
I'm a rattle nut. If I hear a rattle while driving and can't figure it out, I'll pull over, have my wife drive, and then I'll crawl over the whole car until I find it. Usually it's just tolerances... plastic against plastic, turned around seat belt, or a $5 Husky Tool kit from a White Elephant game sitting in the glove box and then!! Sometimes its a panel that's not properly secured. Once you fix it... the rattle is gone!

I say just start going through those issues and one by one, making the car better!

Become a fan of rubber stripping that you can stick in crevices... zip ties... Honestly... southern engineering techniques. lol

Sorry to go so off topic here.
Old 10/18/14 | 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
Um, please find a single review that doesn't state without any reservation that the S550 isn't a MUCH better car than any previous Mustang. C'mon man, this just reads as sour grapes.
It isn't.

I'll supply the grapes for your "whine." Lol
Old 10/18/14 | 07:09 PM
Banned

Are you kidding? Which reviews have you been reading? The ones I've read basically say ehh, it's a little better, but nothing earth shattering. As a matter of fact some reviews blatantly state that the 2013 Boss 302 is the best Mustang ever. Not the S550 which is was supposed to "crush" the Boss. Did you see the S550 VS 1LE video in this thread? The S550 is more of the same from Ford, with some improvements in the handling department. And the Camaro is STILL much better. Wow... impressive..NOT.

Do you remember when the 2011 came out, and it had 100hp gain on it's predecessor, plus better interior, better acceleration and handling numbers? That was what we were told the S550 was going to be like.

So I think any 2011+ owner has a right be disappointing that their S197 defeats the S550 at the drag strip. Sure, with plusher ride and better interior, but this is a MUSCLE car for $%ck sake!! If we were after smooth ride and plush interiors we'd be driving BMW's not Mustangs. The #1 thing Mustang fan base cares about is P_E_R_F_O_R_M_A_N_C_E. Which is disappointing.

And lets be honest, the S550 looks like the exterior was designed by a bunch of P%^sies which does nothing to help it's cause with performance enthusiasts stateside. I'm sure it will do well everywhere else in the world. But I certainly don't want to be seen in one. This car should have been badges as the 2015 Thunderbird... or Fusion Coupe GT. Same difference.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/18/14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10/18/14 | 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
Well then lets make the best out of it! I'm a rattle nut. If I hear a rattle while driving and can't figure it out, I'll pull over, have my wife drive, and then I'll crawl over the whole car until I find it. Usually it's just tolerances... plastic against plastic, turned around seat belt, or a $5 Husky Tool kit from a White Elephant game sitting in the glove box and then!! Sometimes its a panel that's not properly secured. Once you fix it... the rattle is gone! I say just start going through those issues and one by one, making the car better! Become a fan of rubber stripping that you can stick in crevices... zip ties... Honestly... southern engineering techniques. lol Sorry to go so off topic here.
Lol I'm quite familiar with all those "fixes"...my 03 GT, 00 V6 and current 05 Escape are full of em

I thought a brand new 2014 car wouldn't have those issues, and I thought that if it did have those issues, they wouldn't be present at 5k miles (some on day 1).
Old 10/19/14 | 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Are you kidding? Which reviews have you been reading? The ones I've read basically say ehh, it's a little better, but nothing earth shattering. As a matter of fact some reviews blatantly state that the 2013 Boss 302 is the best Mustang ever. Not the S550 which is was supposed to "crush" the Boss. Did you see the S550 VS 1LE video in this thread? The S550 is more of the same from Ford, with some improvements in the handling department. And the Camaro is STILL much better. Wow... impressive..NOT.

Do you remember when the 2011 came out, and it had 100hp gain on it's predecessor, plus better interior, better acceleration and handling numbers? That was what we were told the S550 was going to be like.

So I think any 2011+ owner has a right be disappointing that their S197 defeats the S550 at the drag strip. Sure, with plusher ride and better interior, but this is a MUSCLE car for $%ck sake!! If we were after smooth ride and plush interiors we'd be driving BMW's not Mustangs. The #1 thing Mustang fan base cares about is P_E_R_F_O_R_M_A_N_C_E. Which is disappointing.

And lets be honest, the S550 looks like the exterior was designed by a bunch of P%^sies which does nothing to help it's cause with performance enthusiasts stateside. I'm sure it will do well everywhere else in the world. But I certainly don't want to be seen in one. This car should have been badges as the 2015 Thunderbird... or Fusion Coupe GT. Same difference.
You are so right.
I started another thread on this same topic of handling. Out of the Muscle cars and (they had sports cars listed as well).The BOSS 302 is the best handling, its the one to beat.

This will be a topic of discussion for years to come. If you buy a new one be prepared to have your but whipped by the older ones and the newer cars from the competition. Who makes a new car heavier and slower than the years before? HUM...

Laser I am sorry to hear about your issues. What are they?
Old 10/19/14 | 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

Congrats on your new position as self-appointed Arbiter of Car Design Asthetics? IMO the S550 looks better than the crap-*** 2013-2014 grille any day of the week. Maybe, just MAYBE consider that the Mustang is different things to different people. The performance is there, and while a case could be made that the S550 isn't quite as good going in a straight line it certainly seems to corner better than any Mustang ever made according to people that evaluate cars FOR A LIVING. I don't really care too much about straight-line performance since 99.98% of my driving involves turning quite a bit. I will probably not track my S550, I guess that makes me a p*ssy.
Old 10/19/14 | 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bob

Y'know I said DOHC but I also meant 4v - the valve curtain area on a 4v engine is monster which is why a 4v engine has such good low and mid lift flow. At high lift the airflow through a 2v and 4v engine starts to even out.
Also, a (D)OHC motor can snap those valves open and shut more quickly, and at higher revs, than an OHV mill, which helps explain the high and broad torques of the Stang's smaller displacement 5.0. Then add in the independent variable intake and exhaust timing to further sharpen things up and you get a 5.0 outperforming a 6.2, if only by a hair.

Last edited by rhumb; 10/19/14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10/19/14 | 08:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Also, a (D)OHC motor can snap those valves open and shut more quickly, and at higher revs, than an OHV mill, which helps explain the high and broad torques of the Stang's smaller displacement 5.0. Then add in the independent variable intake and exhaust timing to further sharpen things up and you get a 5.0 outperforming a 6.2, if only by a hair.
So what? I don't care about high and broad torque curves when I'm driving to work day to day. I want low down torque. Hence why I'm saving up for a positive displacement blower.
Old 10/19/14 | 08:16 PM
Post *****

So what? I don't care about high and broad torque curves when I'm driving to work day to day. I want low down torque. .
Then why did you buy an OHC?
Geez Patrick, you should just light your car on fire. rofl
Old 10/19/14 | 09:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Then why did you buy an OHC? Geez Patrick, you should just light your car on fire. rofl
Lol I'm close to it and because that was what Ford had to offer me. I mean, I had zero experience with these mod motors up until my drive home. I didn't know what the characteristics of the motors were. I can really see where this engine would be beneficial, but unfortunately it's just not where I live. It's funny, I actually PREFER these types of characteristics in cars, but with how much power the 5.0 has, you really have to be in illegal speeds to find it.

I rented an FR-S for 3 days last year - that little boxer is actually very similar to the 5.0, just...smaller. You have to rev the **** out of it to find the power, but fortunately with a peak of 200hp, you can rev the **** out of it and not break the speed limit lol
Old 10/19/14 | 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on your new position as self-appointed Arbiter of Car Design Asthetics? IMO the S550 looks better than the crap-*** 2013-2014 grille any day of the week. Maybe, just MAYBE consider that the Mustang is different things to different people. The performance is there, and while a case could be made that the S550 isn't quite as good going in a straight line it certainly seems to corner better than any Mustang ever made according to people that evaluate cars FOR A LIVING. I don't really care too much about straight-line performance since 99.98% of my driving involves turning quite a bit. I will probably not track my S550, I guess that makes me a p*ssy.

Ha you are funny. Not only is the New mustang not he best handling car it is not the best for straight track use as you stated. I started a thread on the Best handling Muscle cars. Out of the 10 the Boss 302 was the best and the one to beat... So it looks like you and others have misread or did not read all the reviews.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Head to Head vs. Camaro 1LE