Old 1/27/10, 05:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, it's still a fair distance away.
Lots of things can change.
Old 1/27/10, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that car looks like it's trying to be a Corvette or something a Mustang's NOT. Hardly any room to see out the side windows. Looks really uncomfortable to get in.
Old 1/27/10, 05:12 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I still just hope whatever they do, they need to keep a V8 base model as cheap as possible...if they decide IRS? fine- make it optional...400 hp/500hp/???hp V8? fine- make it optional...I just really really think the mustang NEEDS a cheap/fun/good sounding V8 model the average family can afford- face it, its NOT got the room as a family car, so its typically a second vehicle, a lot easier to justify if it dont cost more than anything else out there...there will always be those who are willing to pay for the best, but the basic mustang formula was never aiming for that- it needs a basic 'good enough' basic configuration to be had as a second 'fun' car without breaking the bank. a 65 wasnt the fastest car out there with its 289, still had drum brakes, and rolled in the corners more than most 'real sports cars'- BUT it was inexpensive, had room to cram a couple kids in the back if need be, and I think that car still holds the all time record for sales dont it? like a million sold in a year? Shelbys came along that were GREAT sportscars compared to the standard V8 mustang, but had they sold only the high end, instead of a million it might have been 50k units...know what I mean?

Affordable-Fun-V8 power in a small car, in that order is what made the Mustang IMO.

Standard ecoboost/IRS/Sirius 1000 watt/leather/Nav/etc might make for a GREAT standard model, but it would cost more than a lot are capable of spending...Ford needs to keep the BASIC GT deluxe package within 20% of the base stripped model, and that basic stripped model needs to base close to or less than a typical domestic sedan...if they can do that, AND wrap it up in a 'mustang' looking wrapper, it will go on and on...if they get too pricey, and the volume fades away, its not going to last any longer than the typical models lifespans...typically thats not >45 years

the camaro got modern looking, kinda expensive for a basic V8, and it disapeared for a few years...the GTO was a modern looking GREAT car with 400hp IRS, etc, but it cost a lot more than a basic Mustang GT, where is the GTO now? If the mustangs going to stay true to its roots, its gotta have a basic performance version at a 'relative' bargain price...
Old 1/30/10, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I still just hope whatever they do, they need to keep a V8 base model as cheap as possible...if they decide IRS? fine- make it optional.....
I doubt you can make it optional as this would add to the overall cost of the platform. The whole point of the global platform is that you can sell the car all over the world, therefore having greater total sales. Hence, more profit and the car will actually be cheaper that way. The new Ford Focus is a perfect example of this. The price of a fully loaded Focus won't be that far off of the US car now, but the fact its going global is amortizing the car over far more units.

Dave