2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

This might answer some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/10, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might answer some questions.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-n...adopt-irs.html

This will probably answer some peoples questions.
Old 1/21/10, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A fox body sized Mustang with IRS and a 400hp 5.0L sounds awesome.
Old 1/21/10, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

I agree although I could take or leave the IRS. I don't really care one way or the other. I hope it isn't true that they are abandoning the retro cues though.

Originally Posted by GT40 2
A fox body sized Mustang with IRS and a 400hp 5.0L sounds awesome.
Old 1/21/10, 10:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Eh, sounds to me like all of the "sources" currently talking about the next-generation Mustang are taking wild stabs in the dark. Heck, at this point, I doubt Ford even knows exactly what they're going to do.
Old 1/21/10, 10:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I hope it isn't true that they are abandoning the retro cues though.
same here... smaller/maybe turbo/maybe IRS/ PROBABLY more expensive...

lose the 'mustang look' and sales wont be there, price it much higher, sales wont be there...the 05 GT was a lot of bang for the buck, I'm afraid that will never be seen again- sincerely hope so, sincerely hope to see another 'gotta have it' new mustang body, but for me the '10 dont call out- although from front/sides, it definitely still has the 'mustang look', just not a favorite like the 05 was.
Maybe the up and coming Chinese will buy up a lot of them- OR, maybe the global ford dealer in china will sell one, and find QQmustangs for sale a month later. hope whatever it looks like/whatever it costs, it goes on another 45 years, but following the lead of others that never sold as well may not be the 'best' thing in the end...they had a more modern/more powerful model in the 03 cobra right? I like the cobra, but dont think it impacted fords bottom line like the 'retro' 05... it wasnt a 'retro' look, it was a MUSTANG look- I dunno if Ford marketing folks ever figured that one out...the 10 rear bumper was unlike any other mustang, like it or not, it was a departure, and it didnt quite get the enthusiastic comments of the 05...it looks good, just wasnt a traditional mustang look...
Old 1/22/10, 02:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If Ford's reading this:

1 - DO NOT LOSE THE RETRO STYLING. Timeless styling is just that. Timeless. Use the '69 as a template for the next retro theme.

2 - DO NOT MAKE THE NEXT STANG TOO SMALL. I want a decent trunk and rear seats so my family can enjoy those cruises with me.

3 - KEEP THAT V8. Nuff said.

Old 1/22/10, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think us retro guys better stick with the '05-'13 because this could be the last true throw back pony car and it may turn into a true sports car.
Old 1/22/10, 02:38 PM
GTR Member

It'll be a sad day if that's the case
Old 1/22/10, 03:53 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I think you can only stay retro for so long. 2014 sounds like a good time for a modern Mustang look. Bring it into the 21st century, but make sure it's instantly recognizeable. Everyone knows an SN95/New Edge are mustangs, and they were modern. The fox, even though I love it, is not all Mustang. Everyone I talk to that's not a car nut can't tell it's a Mustang, just a boxy old car.
Old 1/22/10, 04:01 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I think you can only stay retro for so long. 2014 sounds like a good time for a modern Mustang look. Bring it into the 21st century, but make sure it's instantly recognizeable. Everyone knows an SN95/New Edge are mustangs, and they were modern. The fox, even though I love it, is not all Mustang. Everyone I talk to that's not a car nut can't tell it's a Mustang, just a boxy old car.

A Fox is a great example of the original Mustang. Not a muscle car, but a pony car. I would be happy if the 2014 went back to that size. But I want IRS and I still want the 5.0 V8.

Retro-Fox
Old 1/22/10, 04:12 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
A Fox is a great example of the original Mustang. Not a muscle car, but a pony car. I would be happy if the 2014 went back to that size. But I want IRS and I still want the 5.0 V8.

Retro-Fox
I'd love to see it! But my thoughts are basically take the same fox ideals, and apply them to a new design. Keep the size and weight down, the power up, and just add a few other Mustang cues. The fox's really only had the short deck/long hood going for them as far as being instantly Mustang.

Let's call the chassis Fox 2.0 or FoxII just to go with the new 5.0
Old 1/22/10, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

I'll be honest; I think the Fox-bodies are ugly and generic-looking, in that special '80s sort of way, but I do think they embody the spirit of the ideal Mustang (small, lean, light, with performance to boot). In the next-gen Mustang, I not only hope Ford returns the Mustang to more Fox body-like dimensions, I hope Ford retains the design heritage of the classic Mustangs that the '05-'13 borrow from and highlight so well. I think they can design a contemporary car that still clearly shows this common and undeniably Mustang DNA (ie: c-scoops, tri-bar taillights, sharknosed front fascia, etc.).
Old 1/25/10, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
nice article!
Old 1/25/10, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I'll be honest; I think the Fox-bodies are ugly and generic-looking, in that special '80s sort of way, but I do think they embody the spirit of the ideal Mustang (small, lean, light, with performance to boot). In the next-gen Mustang, I not only hope Ford returns the Mustang to more Fox body-like dimensions, I hope Ford retains the design heritage of the classic Mustangs that the '05-'13 borrow from and highlight so well. I think they can design a contemporary car that still clearly shows this common and undeniably Mustang DNA (ie: c-scoops, tri-bar taillights, sharknosed front fascia, etc.).

Agreed! Chevy did it with the Camaro's modern/retro look and besides it being a pig at 3900+ lbs, I like the combo look (too bad GM could't have given Camaro it's own smaller platform instead of cutting up a larger platform/same with Challenger). Ford could do this even better as they have more Mustang specific "retro design cues" to work with. Back in '99 Ford did a pretty good job going from the '94 - '98 retro themed Mustang to a more modern look...those cars sold well and looked pretty good as well. If Ford could get the 5.0GT V8 down to an honest 3500lbs...ah, one can dream
Old 1/25/10, 02:23 PM
GTR Member

Hotlap, I'm sure you meant GM sharing the Camaro's platform with the Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore

Funny, but I've never considered the Camaro to be a modern design, per se. I guess retro/modern might be more apt.

However, the Mustang could go in this direction and still be a good looking car. OK, this needs work, but you get the idea

Old 1/25/10, 04:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Hotlap, I'm sure you meant GM sharing the Camaro's platform with the Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore

Funny, but I've never considered the Camaro to be a modern design, per se. I guess retro/modern might be more apt.

However, the Mustang could go in this direction and still be a good looking car. OK, this needs work, but you get the idea

Sorry, my post was confusing I meant that the Camaro is sharing a platform similar to the Challener being based off the Charger platform (which makes it heavy as a result). That's exactly what I was getting at a retro/modern design...some of the styling cues from the Italian prototype come to mind! While your pic above appears radical...there are some real possibilities there while maintaining the Mustang styling cues for sure
Old 1/26/10, 12:45 AM
GTR Member

Ah, righto, gotcha

I can't take credit for that image, either. It was in one of the motoring magazines a few years ago. But I do like it and shows the Mustang can be modern, yet incorporate the classic styling cues that mean it couldn't be mistaken for anything else.
Old 1/26/10, 01:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I think this article is out to lunch. It contradicts almost everything that has been stated in the past two weeks. If they are relying on Motor Trend for accurate, up to date info that was their first mistake. My guess is they made the same error as the Australian press did when they misinterpreted what Mulally said at the beginning of the Detroit show. This just sounds like a rehash of stuff that was since proven wrong. About the only points that can be taken from this are that the Mustang will PROBABLY get IRS and it will lose a little weight but it can't lose much if it is going to share it's platform with other sedan models.
Old 1/26/10, 04:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Whatever the case, just keep it a rear drive V-8 of some description! Ford did a lot of work developing the new Mustang-specific 400 horse engine --- for only 3 model years?! That's not being very practical! In a scary economy, NO car manufacturer is going to waste millions developing anything they can't use for ,say 15 or more years! I say that in light of the artical in the 5.0 Mustang mag on our newest 5.0 motor. They even said (this straight from Ford designers) that this motor needed to fit into Fords plan for at least that long in one form or another. Besides that, how do ya get that past a board of people who has the same last name as the company (not corporation) because they are related?! And , now they are doing so well, they surely won't want to squander any opportunity to at least stay where they are. All they need do is look at their rivals to see what dumb decisions can do to a company over a relatively short period of time! Their NAME is on the line!! THEIR COMPANY is on the line! It isn't a corporation where people just take what they want at the top and leave with no responsibility! The Ford family has learned to watch the buck! IMHO, the 5.0 is here for a confortable while! And in a rear drive Mustang! May GM swallow their Camaro whole !!!
Old 1/27/10, 05:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Eh, sounds to me like all of the "sources" currently talking about the next-generation Mustang are taking wild stabs in the dark. Heck, at this point, I doubt Ford even knows exactly what they're going to do.
Not a truer word said.

LLN got there info from MT, who got there info from "Drive", who in turn published another article saying that MT backs them, although MT was only regurgitating Drive's rubbish. For me, it's nothing less than a comedy of rumours based on misinterpretation of Mulally's comments at the recent show.

Wait a few more days and Drive will come out saying LLN have confirmed what they (Drive) came out with 2 weeks ago.

As you point out, MARZ, the way things will take shape are still on the drawing board; nothing is certain except that whatever platform Mustang/Falcon share, it will be great. To put it into perspective, Mulally said it will be better than Falcon's current "dynamite" platform.

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Personally, I think this article is out to lunch. It contradicts almost everything that has been stated in the past two weeks. If they are relying on Motor Trend for accurate, up to date info that was their first mistake. My guess is they made the same error as the Australian press did when they misinterpreted what Mulally said at the beginning of the Detroit show. This just sounds like a rehash of stuff that was since proven wrong. About the only points that can be taken from this are that the Mustang will PROBABLY get IRS and it will lose a little weight but it can't lose much if it is going to share it's platform with other sedan models.
Summed up very well.

Last edited by Falc'man; 1/27/10 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: This might answer some questions.