2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

First issue

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/15, 06:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First issue

We have noticed the first issue with's the wife's new Mustang. It has what sounds like a hub bearing grinding/howling from the right rear. it only makes noise when the car is parked outside, and the temp is below zero. Im starting a list and will bring it to the service dept. in a while. Also, while minor, the stitching isn't perfect on the upper edge of the pass. side rear seat back. I'm waiting for the plates and weather techs to show at the dealer, and will bring these items to their attention at that point. Lastly, I bought a front plate bracket from craig's custom Mustang brackets, and I am VERY pleased! you guys should check them out! I will post install picks when I do it, and/or the temps get back above zero- ****, it's cold
Old 1/7/15, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am old and slow When you say, "the car is parked outside", are you referring to it idling or the noise is there as you start to drive away after being parked outside? It could just be a brake disc making noise after being outside until the moisture/frost wears off. I doubt it would be a bearing since it goes away, instead of getting worse. But, it is worth reporting, just in case.
Old 1/7/15, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is BRRRRR. I agree with SD Cal. If it's sitting in sub 0 temps, lots of things are prone to groaning until warmed.
Old 1/7/15, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Thirded. Awesome gets all kinds of weird creaks and noises when it's cold outside, but it hasn't been below 0 here before. I can't imagine *what* she'll do if it get there.

Still... fairly specific noise of a hub... that'll be easy enough to check out. Probably *shouldn't* be doing it...

But man. *shivers*.

How you live in that area? MOVE!!

Last edited by houtex; 1/7/15 at 04:27 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the car have the PP on it? If so, likely the Torsen differential until it gets warmed up. This would be normal. At least I think it is normal with the Torsen.
Old 1/19/15, 10:17 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by elfiero
We have noticed the first issue with's the wife's new Mustang. It has what sounds like a hub bearing grinding/howling from the right rear. it only makes noise when the car is parked outside, and the temp is below zero. Im starting a list and will bring it to the service dept. in a while. Also, while minor, the stitching isn't perfect on the upper edge of the pass. side rear seat back. I'm waiting for the plates and weather techs to show at the dealer, and will bring these items to their attention at that point. Lastly, I bought a front plate bracket from craig's custom Mustang brackets, and I am VERY pleased! you guys should check them out! I will post install picks when I do it, and/or the temps get back above zero- ****, it's cold
Have you addressed these concerns with your dealer yet, elfiero?

Deysha
Old 1/19/15, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Have you addressed these concerns with your dealer yet, elfiero?

Deysha
Good Morning Deysha!
Yes, we brought the car in and left it with them overnight, with detailed instructions as to how to recreate the noise. They were nice enough to give us a free loaner. In the morning(it was -8F), the service advisor and the assistant service manager drove the car and said they could not hear anything out of the ordinary. They put the car on a hoist and checked over everything and found nothing. So for now, we will just wait to see if it gets any louder and will just have fun with the car. The wife loves it by the way. Also, LOTS of folks stop her and ask about it. Deysha, do you know how I could get my hands on a copy of the factory service manual? There is a couple items I would like to look into, but it would be a WHOLE lot easier with the service manual(CD). Thanks for checking back with me!
Old 1/19/15, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Good Morning Deysha!
Yes, we brought the car in and left it with them overnight, with detailed instructions as to how to recreate the noise. They were nice enough to give us a free loaner. In the morning(it was -8F), the service advisor and the assistant service manager drove the car and said they could not hear anything out of the ordinary. They put the car on a hoist and checked over everything and found nothing. So for now, we will just wait to see if it gets any louder and will just have fun with the car. The wife loves it by the way. Also, LOTS of folks stop her and ask about it. Deysha, do you know how I could get my hands on a copy of the factory service manual? There is a couple items I would like to look into, but it would be a WHOLE lot easier with the service manual(CD). Thanks for checking back with me!
You should be able to order the service manual through your dealership service department. Just be ready to pay up because it's a lot more expensive than buying some Haynes or Chilton manual.
Old 1/19/15, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
If it is making this noise only when parked and very cold out it can only be a few things. The fuel pump is back there and the exhaust hangers are there. Unless it sounds like it is coming from there but some where else. Is this a V6 because the 4 popper has a radio sound track that plays even when off.
Old 1/20/15, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Good morning all, Jazz- this car is the twin 4cyl, 5L version. I have ruled out the fuel pump, but you are reading my mind about exhaust or heat shielding "buzzing". 3P7- It isn't yet available over the counter- I was hoping Deysha had some "pull". The WeeVee6 attached to my screen name has something to do with the number of posts, no engine size. Remember- no matter what they claim, size DOES matter.

Last edited by elfiero; 1/20/15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 1/20/15, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Technicians hearing is never as good as the owners hearing.
Old 1/20/15, 02:09 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good Morning Deysha!
Glad to see you’re being taken care of and you’re very welcome, elfiero. Regarding the service manuals, as you already know they’re not available yet. The only way to get them is through the normal channels; Motorcraft.

Deysha